Oct 27, 2020, 06:55 AM
EBE
EBE
Thread OP
Discussion

Rubber Power RC: No motor or massive battery pack needed

.....but how do I get the correct volts/mAmps to the receiver and servos? While I could just go ahead and use a conventional ESC and harness (they don't weigh that much), I would rather get rid of all unneeded weight. So no big battery, no electric motor, and no ESC required. All I'm looking for is a small battery pack, receiver, and servos.

Does anyone have an idea for a circuit that will do this?

Is this one of those 1S Lipo pack applications?

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!

--ElJay
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2020, 07:41 AM
I have 1S LiPo packs flying my .25 glow planes, so there's no reason a 1S wouldn't work for you too.

And if you look around, you can find that an electric RC plane can weigh the same (sometimes less) vs. rubber.

Look here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnK...EpTzFxZm93V56Q

Andy
Oct 28, 2020, 08:27 AM
EBE
EBE
Thread OP
While unneeded weight is an issue, my main reason for pursuing Rubber powered rc is its simplicity. Wind up the motor, fly around for a few minutes, land, and repeat.

So is there anyone with any circuits to share that would get the needed volts and amps to the receiver and servos?
Oct 28, 2020, 08:48 AM
65 years of RC flying
Andy has given it to you. A 1s LiPo feeding the receiver also feeds the servos. Hookup is simple: standard servo connector with red centre wire as positive and brown or black wire as ground. Plug into a free connector on the receiver. You would want a switch in the cable.

The only way amps come into this is that you need to make sure the battery is big enough to supply servo current and to give you several flights. This depends on the size of the aircraft.

But plugging in a fresh battery to power an electric motor for flight is even easier than winding a rubber powered model. Which is why people convert rubber models to electric.
Oct 28, 2020, 02:53 PM
Here's one of my rubber to RC conversions:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867359

Here's one my father built:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2037848

I have had the first one up over 30 minutes on a single charge, thermalling most of the time, and had plenty of power later in the flight. Actually, it's overpowered with the system in it.

Andy
Oct 28, 2020, 06:36 PM
EBE
EBE
Thread OP
Andy,
Thanks for the links to your rubber to electric conversions. I especially like the looks of the gull.

To those who have responded in this thread:

I do understand the attraction of converting rubber to small rc; I've got a plan for a plane here from Flying Models called "Mr. Malcom", and it began as a rubber powered plane of about 13" span. I actually used this plan in a Physical Science class that I taught to teach Bernoulli's principle. The students had to make the plane and get it to fly to pass the lab! Since many of them had never actually built anything, it was a hoot to watch them deal with CA, and cutting balsa accurately, and balancing the plane. Most of them passed with flying colors (pun intended). I scaled the plans up and currently almost have the plane ready for a taxi trial and a test flight.

However, there is something about not using electric motors that I find very attractive. I'm not sure if it's the silence or what - but rubber powered rc is something that I want to pursue. So thanks for indulging me, and clearing up the battery issue; this is easier than I thought it would be. If I come up with something worth posting, I'll begin a new thread.

--ElJay
Oct 29, 2020, 04:58 AM
First joined Sep 2001
I understand you do not want to use an electric motor, but want to rc a rubber powered model.
Send me a pm if you want more advice, it will depend some what on the size of model.
Small 1s receivers and servos are available from Banggood.

Cheers
BM

If model is large enough (around 400mm span) the simplest solution would be a RX62H brick and a 1s cell. All you have to do is plug batt (30 mAh would do) into receiver.

edit: removed link to rx62h, not working.
Last edited by BlRDMAN; Oct 29, 2020 at 05:43 AM.
Oct 29, 2020, 05:25 AM
First joined Sep 2001
Radio controlled rubber power! (18 min 4 sec)

Radio controlled rubber power, includes complete building instructions (see comments)
This model also available from banggood along with all other parts needed.
Oct 30, 2020, 02:23 AM
EBE
EBE
Thread OP
Hey Birdman,
Thanks for posting - I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that finds rubber powered rc attractive.

Quick Reply