May 23, 2005, 12:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Idea

My new Lipo safe charging solution

Here is a picture of my new Lipo safe charging solution
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2005, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Member
I have sold all but the last 2 of my Lipo packs, a couple of Apogee 2S-830 packs I was using for my Xray M18, which should be sold very soon.

Has anyone else thrown in the towel on Lipo cells? I was spending more time and energy on devising and worrying about safe storage solutions, safe transporting solutions, safe charging pratices, safe discharging pratices, etc... than I was on actually flying. It seemed the more I kept up on reading about Lipos, there was more solutions and recommendations to add to the concerns.
I am now back to using nimh cells until all this Lipo stuff settles down...
My big dilema now is what to do with all my Brinks boxes?
Last edited by JohnM; Jun 17, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
May 23, 2005, 12:57 PM
Don't watch this...
Yea, I started cuttinng my 3+ acres of grass witha pair of scissors because the gas lawn mower is really dangerous...not to mention the highly volital fuel it takes to run it.

I've never owned a heavy pack. Have had LiPo since my very first TigerMoth. NPs.

Coo
May 23, 2005, 01:00 PM
There will be lots of guys who are not convinced about Lipos yet and looking for Brinks boxes. I have two lipo packs that I have not yet attempted to use, don't have an explosive storage bunker in my back yard. Gotta re-read the instructions for my Hobbico Elite Accucycle superblast charger a couple of more times. Will probably charge lipos in our fireplace in one Brinks box with charger in another Brinks box and sit there watching display with low power binocs.
May 23, 2005, 01:02 PM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I have sold all but the last 2 of my Lipo packs, a couple of Apogee 2S-830 packs I was using for my Xray M18, which should be sold very soon.

Has anyone else thrown in the towel on Lipo cells? I was spending more time and energy on devising and worrying about safe storage solutions, safe transporting solutions, safe charging pratices, safe discharging pratices, etc... than I was on actually flying. It seemed the more I kept up on reading about Lipos, there was more solutions and recommendations to add to the concerns.
I am now back to using nimh cells until all this Lipo stuff settles down...
My big dilema now is what to do with all my Brinks boxes?
Strange how that looks like the same three boxs pasted four times.
To me the most dangerious part of flying RC is the trip tp and from the field,as in operating a motor vechile on the streets and highways.

Charles
May 23, 2005, 01:09 PM
Lifetime Member
I have been using Lipo cells for over 2 years without incident. The only problem I ever encountered was having to carefully sort through the new puffed Lipo packs on the rack in the LHS to get to a good one.

I posted this thread more in jest, but I did make the decision to hold off buying more Lipo packs. Besides the safety reasons, it seems that the technology is changing so fast that I am hoping by next year there will be better cells at lower prices.
The safety reason is still the number one reason. In all the years I have been a member here, I can't recall reading posts on a regular bassis about disasters occuring due to batteries.
And yes I do use a gasoline mower I even leave my car running when I fill it up at the pump.
May 23, 2005, 01:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Good eye Charles, yes I only own 3 Brinks boxes. I always wondered what the neighbors were thinking when I was carrying brinks boxes in and out of my car and house every day. I'm glad that I didn't get my car or house broken into just so someone could find Lipo cells in my "security boxes"

I was always in the habit of charging in the car and still do. The brinks boxes were always in the way when I had passengers though...
May 23, 2005, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM
I have been using Lipo cells for over 2 years without incident. The only problem I ever encountered was having to carefully sort through the new puffed Lipo packs on the rack in the LHS to get to a good one.
Really? Puffed packs in stock? I like to support my LHS, but if that situation existed at my LHS, I'd quickly abandon that place and go mail order.

Bill
May 23, 2005, 02:03 PM
Lifetime Member
This was quite awhile ago and I wouldn't place the blame on the LHS. I had read that others had received or seen similar puffed packs in the new original packaging. There was only a couple of puffed ones on the rack and I don't know if they were received in that condition or puffed after they were hung on the rack. I alerted the LHS vendor and I am sure they contacted the distributer.
I think a large part of the Lipo problem is lack of knowledge. I took up racing 1/18th scale micro cars at the local track for a season and the majority of people were using LiIon packs. I got a little concerned when I overheard talk of how hot the packs would get during charging. I never used LiIon cells but I thought they had the same charging characteristics as Lipo cells in which they should NOT get warm during the charging process. I also noticed many of the chargers were the "super brain" models
May 24, 2005, 03:12 AM
there is another solution than heavy ni-mh : you can use safe li-on like Konions, Mamo-ions or G-ions, sort of intermediate state between ni-mh and lipo... longer duration than nimh , cheaper and safer than lipo, intermediate weight.
you can find some price/details here: http://www.mamo-modelltechnik.com/cg...&rub2=Mamo-Ion

++
May 24, 2005, 08:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the info papaya. Any idea where I could find some of these in the US?
John
May 24, 2005, 08:22 AM
Lifetime Member
I found some alternative uses for my Brinks boxes
May 24, 2005, 08:23 AM
Sloping off....
Don't throw away those boxes too quickly, it isn't only LiPos that can go bang you know

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=65
May 24, 2005, 08:28 AM
Prying Open My Third Eye
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
There will be lots of guys who are not convinced about Lipos yet and looking for Brinks boxes. I have two lipo packs that I have not yet attempted to use, don't have an explosive storage bunker in my back yard. Gotta re-read the instructions for my Hobbico Elite Accucycle superblast charger a couple of more times. Will probably charge lipos in our fireplace in one Brinks box with charger in another Brinks box and sit there watching display with low power binocs.

Good one, you guys are funny.....
May 24, 2005, 09:38 AM
Permanently Banned

Slow Charging LIPOs & NMHs

A surplus constant voltage supply and 12vdc 50w halogen bulb seem to work at low cost .

Have not ruin any batteries and getting better duration and power than before when fast charging 1C for LIPOs and peak charging 3C for NMHs

Went back to NMHs using a GP 3300 7 cell pack to test this solution and got a salvaged $429 2 meter F5B electric glider to go 83 mph with good duration and hardly ever heating up the battery to get it " GOOD & WARM " to fly

One of the weekend warriors left the glider in a tall tree with 3 HS 81 metal gear servos in it and said you're welcome to it
Last edited by hall woo; May 24, 2005 at 09:48 AM.