This thread is privately moderated by NobatteryNopower, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 26, 2020, 02:03 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Balsa Super Alula | Update

I never thought using superglue / CA for building a balsa plane would speed up the building process in an ungodly manner. This also applies for when you've sanded away too much and quickly have to add balsa strips to correct mistakes

I've added an extra 1.5mm carbon rod for more stiffness. Also, ... I'm hitting a wall here. The CG is becoming a problem as I guesstimated correctly While I kept 98% of the proportions according to plan, the motor up front and the added balsa in the fuselage for strength, tips the balance point heavily towards nose heavy when dry fitting a battery in the space originally planned. I have to do some free style scratch building to solve this without adding too much useless weight in the back. Or design an altered fuselage with a shorter nose. *Edit* OR trying to stuff most of the FPV gear in the back / on the tail
**Edit** Nope, i shortened the fuselage with a good two inches. It will work but space for gear is limited... Back to the drawing board. Either design a new, longer tail section or a complete new fuselage and change the looks completely.
Last edited by NobatteryNopower; Oct 28, 2020 at 01:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2020, 04:14 AM
That is a bit of a distance to have a motor on without a counter balance (tail)

Personally i would try shortening the distance between the LE and nose between 15-30%

Clever solution with the gps tho might not be enough in the end
Oct 31, 2020, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the help

I've shortened the nose with roughly 2 inches and it looks like it balances perfectly right now. The next challenge is mounting a camera in a way that the prop is not in view.

Quick Reply