Oct 25, 2020, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Old Timers

All,

I was just digging through some old CD's and realized I had video of some beautiful vintage models, built by the Northwest's finest builders, Fred China and Eric Eiche. Eric and Fred were thermal duration fliers who decided they would take a shot at scale building. All their planes were built from scratch from various 3-views, frequently Martin Simons drawings. This first video of Eric's OBS was taken in May 2003 at the Mission BC Aerotow, I believe by Dave Tanner. Eric is the guy in the red ball cap and isn't doing the flying; in fact I'm not sure who was on the first flight; Bill Hanson on the second. If you want to see the definition of "soaring", start around 2:18.

My plan is to go through my cd's and post a few of these clips, and I would encourage anyone else who has some old clips of real vintage stuff to post as well. I love the new, spectacularly clean glass ships, but my heart still lies with vintage......

Some description of this amazing sailplane can be found on the SSUK site here:

https://cevans.me/VINTAGE/Documentation/OBS/OBS.html

Eric Eiche - OBS (3 min 56 sec)
Last edited by Seadog; Oct 27, 2020 at 07:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2020, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
Thanks to Don Bailey for this pic!

Notice the meteorologist sitting facing backwards, with his instruments and a chart tacked up on the main bulkhead!
Last edited by Seadog; Nov 05, 2020 at 01:41 PM.
Oct 25, 2020, 07:56 PM
Nice timing Dave. I have the SG-38 that Eric built, I was told that it was the very first scale build by Eric, I’m guessing it’s at least 35 years old, the aileron servos finally needed replacement as they were very gimpy, probably due to the higher voltage batteries I use in it. I installed an aerotow release about 5 years ago, it’s a real blast to have it towed to altitude and it thermals great. I always feel Eric is near as it climbs in rising air. I also have Ron Gustin’s 1/4 scale Fafnir 2 São Paulo.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Oct 26, 2020, 01:03 PM
Thread OP

Fred China's Avia 41P

Some video of Fred's beautiful Avia 41P, now owned and flown by Steve Pasierb. Video thumbnail by Jeff Duhaime. There are some lovely pictures on the face book page of RCAerotowing.com, but I can't link to face book from RCGroups. (in fact, can't even spell it out properly)

Again, from Mission 2003. Dan Borg doing the towing and Fred flying with his trusty Airtronics Vision, which he used until he quit flying a couple of years ago!

Fred China - Avia 41P (3 min 18 sec)
Last edited by Seadog; Oct 26, 2020 at 07:09 PM.
Oct 26, 2020, 04:27 PM
I had a tough time letting the Avia go but it was time to let one of Fred’s beautiful builds go to the east coast. Great flying sailplane.
Oct 26, 2020, 05:24 PM
A photo of Fred’s DeHavilland Swallow with Eric’s SG-38 behind it. The Swallow flies pretty well, Fred wasn’t happy with it but I’ve thermaled it numerous times. Very similar to the Salamandra but different in a few areas.
Oct 27, 2020, 01:43 PM
Let me fly in Green Air

Back When 1988 / 1992

Took some time to edit out the vintage sailplanes from all the PSS in the 1988 and 1992 scale slope events held on Eagle Butt. The wind blew like hell in 1988 but was lacking for 1992.

Back When 1988 1992 (3 min 53 sec)
Oct 27, 2020, 02:11 PM
Thread OP

Erich Eiche - Kranich

Again, from the Mission 2003 Aerotow, Erich Eiche's Kranich, flown by Bill Hanson. Same plane as in the previous video at Eagle Butte.

Eric Eiche - Kranich (3 min 26 sec)
Oct 27, 2020, 02:40 PM
Love those videos and with nice music.
Oct 27, 2020, 02:59 PM
Are any of Eric’s models flown besides the SG? I haven’t seen anything about them flying in years.
Oct 27, 2020, 04:40 PM
Thread OP
Dennis,

I think Eric's models are in the hands of his son Michael, but I haven't seen them flown since 2006 or so....

Michael still flies TD, but no sign of the scale beauties

DS
Oct 27, 2020, 07:11 PM
Those vintage birds are cool! Thanks for posting! I'd post some pics of mine but don't have an ISP. I have the builds over at scalesoaring site.
Oct 29, 2020, 01:36 PM
Thread OP

A Little More Fred

Two Slingsby training gliders; the T21 Sedbergh in Yakima 2009, towed by Steve Dentz with his beautifully ugly Cmelak in "Pink Pig" livery, and the T35 Austral Tandem Tutor at Mission in 2003.

Sorry, no landings :-(

T21B Sedbergh T35 Austral Tandem Tutor (2 min 26 sec)
Oct 29, 2020, 02:28 PM
What a beautiful flying site.
Oct 29, 2020, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
What a beautiful flying site.
Mission flew scale at a sod farm.

Quick Reply