Oct 29, 2020, 07:48 AM
Thread OP

Multi 4 is on the way to me.

Thank you all.
Oct 29, 2020, 10:29 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
As for your complaint about the CellPro Multi 4; all you 'gotta do is break down and buy the programmer. You can not only update the charger but modify the menu's to only include the options and the settings you want for each battery type.
Zeeb, THANK YOU. I did not know this. Getting too old to want to modify things like this I guess.

Rick
Nov 02, 2020, 03:14 AM
I have alwasy used FMA software to update my Mulit 4's.

What is the programmer?
Nov 02, 2020, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj

What is the programmer?
I had two Multi4's back in the day, great little chargers. IIRC it used the same FUIM2/FUIM3 USB interface the other PowerLabs used and it had its own Charge Control Software (CCS) version.
Nov 02, 2020, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
This is what he is looking for.

Rick
I remember when those fist came out and they were quite populate at the time. Some folks modified theirs to add a backlit display.
Nov 02, 2020, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj

What is the programmer?
They are a bit hard to find on the website for some reason;

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...i4_3/FUIM3_188

Not only will it update the charger, but there are about four tabs on the top of that program to modify the menus, set battery types, charge rates and you can eliminate all the unused slots. Since the Multi 4S has 30 slots, if you're only using say five, if you miss your selection you have to cycle through the other 25 slots to get back to what you wanted. I believe this is what Rick was talking about, drove me nuts too before I discovered how to change the settings.
Nov 02, 2020, 08:03 AM
Oh, OK

I have that, and use the software with it.
I thought there was something else like a stand alone programmer or something.

Thanks
Nov 02, 2020, 04:35 PM
FMA Cellpro 4s and 10s chargers are all I use. Ease of use is why I have them (many). I have backups for backups
Nov 02, 2020, 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetdktr
FMA Cellpro 4s and 10s chargers are all I use. Ease of use is why I have them (many). I have backups for backups
THE biggest advantage to FMA series chargers IMHO, is that you cannot plug the leads in wrong and cook something, I hate when the magic smoke makes it ouf of electronic devices. All they do is display a cell miscount warning or something like that and won't turn on. Following a friend who was given a fancy iCharger setup in a case (yeah he's that good) I decided I'd like to try one as I would have a guide. So I got a 4010 Duo with a fancy Meanwell 48 volt 40 amp power supply.

We were series balance charging 10S (dual 5000mah five cell batteries for pattern planes) and he tried to coach me through it, but it just wasn't sticking. Thought I had it right with the appropriate balance leads going into the correct ports and in the appropriate polarity identified so I plugged in both batteries discharge leads to the charge station then the first balance lead and everty thing looked fine. It wasn't.... when I plugged in the second balance lead from the second battery there was a nasty hiss and lots of magic smoke coming off the adapter board.

When I called thee guys at Progressive where I bought the charger and described what happened, he kind of chuckled and said something to the effect of you have to make sure the balance leads are plugged in correctly for both batteries. When I asked what was wrong because my CellPro chargers would warn of a bad battery count and not turn on. He then told me that CellPro was the only charger brand which would do that, the others were not protected for that user screwup.

Fortunately for me, when I saw the smoke I yanked the balance lead out of the charge station as well as the the one charge lead still plugged in and I was fast enough that it just cooked the balance board and wiring before it hit the charger so that was all that needed replacing.

I went back to my old charge box which has a pair of CellPro 10XP's and started my collection of 10S and 4S Multi chargers for later replacement of old chargers and I have not touched that fancy damned expensive beast since...... lol
Nov 04, 2020, 06:53 PM
Good info Zeeb
Nov 13, 2020, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
THE biggest advantage to FMA series chargers IMHO, is that you cannot plug the leads in wrong and cook something, I hate when the magic smoke makes it ouf of electronic devices. All they do is display a cell miscount warning or something like that and won't turn on. Following a friend who was given a fancy iCharger setup in a case (yeah he's that good) I decided I'd like to try one as I would have a guide. So I got a 4010 Duo with a fancy Meanwell 48 volt 40 amp power supply.

We were series balance charging 10S (dual 5000mah five cell batteries for pattern planes) and he tried to coach me through it, but it just wasn't sticking. Thought I had it right with the appropriate balance leads going into the correct ports and in the appropriate polarity identified so I plugged in both batteries discharge leads to the charge station then the first balance lead and everty thing looked fine. It wasn't.... when I plugged in the second balance lead from the second battery there was a nasty hiss and lots of magic smoke coming off the adapter board.

When I called thee guys at Progressive where I bought the charger and described what happened, he kind of chuckled and said something to the effect of you have to make sure the balance leads are plugged in correctly for both batteries. When I asked what was wrong because my CellPro chargers would warn of a bad battery count and not turn on. He then told me that CellPro was the only charger brand which would do that, the others were not protected for that user screwup.

Fortunately for me, when I saw the smoke I yanked the balance lead out of the charge station as well as the the one charge lead still plugged in and I was fast enough that it just cooked the balance board and wiring before it hit the charger so that was all that needed replacing.

I went back to my old charge box which has a pair of CellPro 10XP's and started my collection of 10S and 4S Multi chargers for later replacement of old chargers and I have not touched that fancy damned expensive beast since...... lol
Yeah I did this on my FMS P8 charger at the balance board and it only blew up the charge and the 1 of the ports on the balance board. I wonder if its possible to put some kind of fuse in between the balance lead and the charger itself?
Nov 13, 2020, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Fuses can be very slow to blow open.

WE must use POLARIZED connectors on all plugs and battery leads !! NO exceptions.
Nov 13, 2020, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
Fuses can be very slow to blow open.

WE must use POLARIZED connectors on all plugs and battery leads !! NO exceptions.
Either that or do not connect your battery in reverse, it is not exactly that hard.
Nov 13, 2020, 09:24 PM
Thread OP

It is with bad eyesight & old age Or

Not looking at what you are doing while talking , eating or drinking.

SCHAZAAMMM !!

I use only XT 90 connectors. for all batteries. Impossible to get it wrong at 83 years. With the cell pro 4 balance plug.

Quick Reply