Oct 25, 2020, 04:14 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Whats the rules for drones in the UK?

I'm planning a trip next year to Northern Ireland and the UK next year to visit family, miles from anyone and any airports or aerodromes. What's the rules for drone flying in the UK. I have a mavic mini and an Air 2. I'm from Canada but have a Brit passport, not that that means anything lol.

Cheers!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2020, 04:36 AM
https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unma...-registration/

Please be aware you can apply for becoming a member of BMFA and things change significantly, you can read more about mid page.
Also one month insurance, for travelers from abroad, wishing to fly in UK, bought from BMFA, cost only 4 GBP.
Oct 30, 2020, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
Thank you very much, here’s hoping travel opens next year but I’m not holding my breath!
Oct 31, 2020, 04:52 AM
Mike,
The rules in the UK will change on 1st January 2021 to the EASA European rules even though the UK will no longer be a part of the EU. There is some bedtime reading here https://www.easa.europa.eu/domains/civil-drones-rpas . As I understand it drones less than 250g and certified as a "toy" are exempt from many of the rules. I do not know which EU directive the the DJI Mini 2, that you are looking at buying, is certified under.

If you do get this side of the Irish Sea then we must try to meet up again.
Oct 31, 2020, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
Hi Richard, thanks for the information I do appreciate that and yes we must get together are reacquaint as itís been a very long time! I remember our get together very well along the canal in Oxfordshire, great memories indeed😃.

Quick Reply