Oct 27, 2020, 09:18 PM
Trader Rating: 169
AMA 72859 Build Baby, Build!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa-n-glow
These comments on shill bidding are inexperience once again showing its face. All this wisdom and insight to detect the undetectable.
Who bids early in an auction? So silly. Snipe the item and only snipe bid.

www.bidslammer.com. Enter early an amount you want to pay, no emotion involved and walk away from it and do something more productive with your time. Come back when the auction is over and either you won it, or you didn't. You never raised your price. Simple. I thought everyone used it or learned in the infancy of Ebay to ONLY bid in the final few seconds of ANY auction?

By the way, I loved the day two bidders went nuts over a Telemaster 40 ready to fly glow powered plane I sold with radio and glow engine, never flown, $409. I did a second chance offer (since I had two of these from the estate) and sold the second one. Shipped both Greyhound. You can't do that on RCG...
I haven't waste my time looking for RC items on ebay since I joined RCGroups. They usually get bid up to what I consider to be a stupid number. You RCG low-dollar buyers who are flippers who resell on Ebay... Go for it! If someone is dumb enough to offer faaaar more than the educated buyer, then good for you! Glad you're making money! But I've bought many items on RCG for faaar less than some unconfirmed ebay buyer/ shill bidder. I have no reluctance in pointing out Sellers who do no research in properly pricing their items in the RCG Classifieds!
Last edited by ww2collector; Oct 27, 2020 at 09:29 PM. Reason: wake up!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2020, 09:27 PM
Trader Rating: 160
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2collector
I haven't waste my time looking for RC items on ebay since I joined RCGroups. They usually get bid up to what I consider to be a stupid number. You RCG low-dollar buyers who are flippers who resell on Ebay... Go for it! If someone is dumb enough to offer faaaar more than the educated buyer, then good for you! Glad you're making money! But I've bought many items on RCG for faaar less than some ebay buyer. I have no empathy!
Last time I "bid" on ebay,,, low and behold I got out bid just over my max bid amount,, auction ended and within the hour the seller tells me the winning bidder back out and he sent me,, what did they call it?? Second Chance offer?? I said no,, I'll pay what my last bid was before the non buyer pushed up the price,, the item was relisted with in the hour

Ebay hasn't been the same since they removed the insertion fee
Oct 27, 2020, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
Last time I "bid" on ebay,,, low and behold I got out bid just over my max bid amount,, auction ended and within the hour the seller tells me the winning bidder back out and he sent me,, what did they call it?? Second Chance offer?? I said no,, I'll pay what my last bid was before the non buyer pushed up the price,, the item was relisted with in the hour

Ebay hasn't been the same since they removed the insertion fee
Yes! You nailed it Tom! SCAMBAY!
Oct 27, 2020, 10:35 PM
Trader Rating: 86
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Oct 30, 2020 at 06:07 PM.
Oct 28, 2020, 08:10 AM
Trader Rating: 140
Bellanca Kruesair
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa-n-glow
Prices are high everywhere from your posts, you're unhappy with two primary online sources from the sounds of it, and haven't bought off Ebay in years, as you and Scale stated. From my more active experience with both, I don't have these issues. I see the product, not the venue or steps to complete an easy transaction on either one. I find the same people buying and selling on both. You can confirm this with the Off Site feature in the classifieds or just search the same item listed.

Deals can be found on both. How about a 99 cent NIP Perry - OS pump.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PERRY-AEROM...p2047675.l2557

This thread started out (quoted) about a lot of dreamers on RCG pricing their kits too high for your liking, then turned into calling Ebay names when it consists of the same sellers and buyers that are members here. Those members apparently don't object so strongly to purchasing RC listings on Ebay as you, unless of course, you haven't bought in years, back when they had insertion fees and also don't understand how bidding and second chance offers work. So, when you have a bad experience here, or read about it on trader talk, why do you continue to buy here and not call it names like you do the other? Certainly you aren't being consistent or unbiased here with that excuse. Regardless of venue, people share the same ethics regardless of where they sell, or don't they? Ebay knows who the seller and who the buyer are, one would think that would make someone more accountable.

Other than your concerns about market prices bothering you here by sellers that post on RCG as well as Ebay, what else needs to be covered on your thread to complete this?
So, what are you suggesting ? -That no one should start a conversation about things that concern them, or can have an effect on others ?
I have a suggestion , along those lines..
Don't post a reply to things that upset you, because it won't have much effect, nor will it garner much concern..
We're dealing with kits and pieces that were a part of our modeling history. Some of the crowd would like to buy and build the original kits, but the cost is prohibitive.
If someone would follow an earlier suggestion and make a Laser cut kit available, the original kits would become less desirable at those prices.
We're heading in that direction, I believe...
Oct 28, 2020, 08:26 AM
Trader Rating: 348
Earl,
The only problem with the laser cut kits route for me is no canopy or cowlings especially if they are for scale models like a cessna 182 or a Pilot Tomahawk .Sport types like a kwik fli or new era can use a sig canopy.
Oct 28, 2020, 10:29 AM
Trader Rating: 34
There are sources for cowlings like Fiberglass Specialties and Fibertech and More.
Fiberglass Specialties provides such parts for kits, plans and that includes those plans being cut by laser.
I've found sources for canopies for older out of production kits as well.
Where there's a market, someone will come up with a product.
Oct 28, 2020, 11:19 AM
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Oct 28, 2020 at 08:51 PM.
Oct 28, 2020, 01:31 PM
Last edited by balsa-n-glow; Oct 28, 2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
Oct 28, 2020, 02:11 PM
Trader Rating: 15
A kit that is no longer in production follows the same market forces as the items on the tv program antiques roadshow...... rarity, interest (broadly defined, including nostalgia of a grown up modeler who was not able to buy what he dreamed about when younger), the amount of discretionary money floating around, etc.

And, as in antiques roadshow which sometimes rebroadcasts shows, noting the market price increase or decrease over time, some no longer in production items, command less than they did, sometimes even less than their retail prices, in non-inflationary terms, when they were in production. For example, some nib two stroke engines. But if you hung on to those eight Cox .010 or .020 TD engines for that never built Spruce Goose, you could fund a nice holiday (smiley).

Lots of good buys turn up as long as one is patient.

Another curiosity is the low price of completed or partially completed models, as someone has already noted.
When I returned to hobby a six or seven years ago after a twenty year pause, I anticipated a lot of plan and kit building (and still look forward to that), but what was amazing was the flood of cheap used/partially built models available locally.

And, as others have noted, the loss of our flying sites, troubles me much more than prices.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Last edited by 2michaely; Oct 29, 2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling
Oct 28, 2020, 08:03 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2michaely
A kit that is no longer in production follows the same market forces as the items on the tv program antiques roadshow...... rarity, interest (broadly defined, including nostalgia of a grown up modeler who was not able to buy what he dreamed about when younger), the amount of discretionary money floating around, etc.

And, as in antiques roadshow which sometimes rebroadcasts shows, noting the market price increase or decrease over time, some no longer in production items, command less than they did, sometimes even less than their retail prices, in non-inflationary terms, when they were in production. For example, some nib two stroke engines. But if you hung on to those eight Cox .010 or .020 TD engines for that never built Spruce Goose, you could fund a nice holiday (smiley).

Lots of good buys turn up as long as one is patient.

Another curiosity is the low price of completed or partially completed models, as someone has already noted.
When I returned to hobby a six or seven years ago after a twenty year pause, I anticipated a lot of plan and kit building (and still look forward to that), but what was amazing was the flood of cheap used/partially built models available locally.

And, others have noted, the loss of our flying sites, troubles me must more than prices.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
A well-worded post Michael. It would appear that Horizon has killed off Top Flite too. What's left... Sig?
Oct 29, 2020, 02:44 PM
Trader Rating: 140
Bellanca Kruesair
Sig has their unique set of problems, with importing wood that is vastly inferior to that requested..

They are caught between supplying overweight kits, due to wood selection, or not delivering kits at all since the proper Balsa is not easily attainable.

The loss of another kit manufacturer will be hard to bear for a certain niche of builders..- Building from plans allows a better choice of materials, but one can't always choose, with out paying a premium.

Flea markets are disappearing exponentially , and they have been a good source for reasonably priced materials..

I do some vacu-forming, but my age makes it difficult to start a Cottage Industry that I can't keep pace with.

Quick Reply