Oct 30, 2020, 03:24 AM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Let me reinteraint; You are more than welcome at our club, given that you will not occupy the space at the main runway centerline. That would seem to me common courtesy, but 99.95% of you 3D guys have no concept of that premise...

THAT is where the conflict comes from........
Mmmm..... I think Zeeb that actually you have just proved the previous poster's point. "You are more than welcome to spend your money and join the club but you are not welcome to actually use the facilities in full". Bit of a "not in my backyard" situation.

And, I think you will find that 99.95% of "Us 3D guys" are in fact extremely courteous, but if they've paid their money, they get to play too, and not just out of the way to suit the circle flyers, of which I was one for 30 years before I became a "3D guy"!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2020, 08:45 AM
....and to those that never heard those type of comments, you just heard them repeated. And I’ll say again that club sounds fun!
Oct 30, 2020, 09:15 AM
The “all opinions are welcome as long as you agree with mine” attitude always makes me laugh. This is the 3D forum asking a 3D question but still have someone trying to call out “99.95% of 3D guys”. These are the same type of people that come here and complain that their club membership is down and they can’t figure out why
Oct 30, 2020, 09:53 AM
Worker By Day, Flyer At Night
I’ve seen my friend fly “3D” but he doesn’t call it that. He calls it creating an air show in the sky. Obviously if you have any plane that flies and push it to the stall point, you can create some “3D”. “Just remember to not be to close to the ground.” I think no matter the plane, like the tool itself, it’s the artist who paints the picture.”
Oct 30, 2020, 01:27 PM
"Sport 3Der For Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcTalkWorld
I’ve seen my friend fly “3D” but he doesn’t call it that. He calls it creating an air show in the sky. Obviously if you have any plane that flies and push it to the stall point, you can create some “3D”. “Just remember to not be to close to the ground.” I think no matter the plane, like the tool itself, it’s the artist who paints the picture.”
Very nice reply! I understand what Zeeb is talking about and seen it this past weekend at a fly-in and the "3D" guys were going out further over the taller grass to do Post Stall flying so the other flyer's would not collide with them. Yes common courtesy is always a nice thing,but sometimes during 3D you want the plane in close to you, as I am learning it helps you see the control surfaces a little easier and always a good idea to have a spotter..
Oct 30, 2020, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Let me reinteraint; You are more than welcome at our club, given that you will not occupy the space at the main runway centerline. That would seem to me common courtesy, but 99.95% of you 3D guys have no concept of that premise...

THAT is where the conflict comes from........
2 things, I think much of that has to do with how many planes are in the air at a given time. Both clubs that I fly with, the "center" of the race track is for clowning around. But somebody doing KE passes at high speed or slow rolls in the "center" is not going to appreciate somebody practicing their hover. I've found that the really low and slow thing works is most often out of the way on one end or the other, and flown really close in.

The other thing, is to have the common courtesy of getting the hell out of the way when somebody calls out "landing"....you do call your landings, right?
Oct 30, 2020, 05:09 PM
Deleted.
Oct 30, 2020, 07:02 PM
Send Location
This age old argument from one question about the semantics of a word, you plus guys should know better.
Oct 30, 2020, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Burner
Very nice reply! I understand what Zeeb is talking about and seen it this past weekend at a fly-in and the "3D" guys were going out further over the taller grass to do Post Stall flying so the other flyer's would not collide with them. Yes common courtesy is always a nice thing,but sometimes during 3D you want the plane in close to you, as I am learning it helps you see the control surfaces a little easier and always a good idea to have a spotter..
This is exactly the idea. Club rules say that airplanes must fly outside the runway unless they announce "landing" "low pass" or such. We try to let the newbie's or less experienced folks have the airspace pretty much to themselves. We also usually do not fly the gassers if someone has a Turbine up. You get in the way of those and even a spotter usually won't help, things just happen too damn fast.

I fly everything from profile foamies to Turbines and I think I have a good idea of the needs/wishes of all types of flyers, but I think that the loss of common courtesy is what's missing in most confrontations. Unfortunately that happens more and more in today's society, see the above comment; "I paid my money", Well, so did everyone else......
Oct 31, 2020, 07:19 AM
I’m lucky, I have a huge soccer complex about ten minutes from my house. I have permission to fly there and have been given the gate combination for access anytime. So I pretty much have it all to myself when not being used by the soccer teams, which this year is 100% of the time. But everyone needs to be considerate, this is a huge problem with our ‘me’ society anymore. I think just being considerate and using good manners would go a long way to settling things down these days.
Oct 31, 2020, 08:13 AM
Quote:
This is exactly the idea. Club rules say that airplanes must fly outside the runway unless they announce "landing" "low pass" or such. We try to let the newbie's or less experienced folks have the airspace pretty much to themselves. We also usually do not fly the gassers if someone has a Turbine up. You get in the way of those and even a spotter usually won't help, things just happen too damn fast.

I fly everything from profile foamies to Turbines and I think I have a good idea of the needs/wishes of all types of flyers, but I think that the loss of common courtesy is what's missing in most confrontations. Unfortunately that happens more and more in today's society, see the above comment; "I paid my money", Well, so did everyone else......
Agree with everything Zeeb. I would just add that it's about awareness many times. Lack of experience. If somebody like this gets how it all works together in the big picture explained to them in a decent manner, you don't see many repeat offenders. Those that do ignore procedures after multiple warnings would be no big loss..... My thought anyway, FWIW. -Al
Oct 31, 2020, 08:58 AM
So then it doesn’t sound like “99.95% of 3D guys have no concept”. My issue isn’t the rules it’s coming in saying nobody knows how to act. That atmosphere doesn’t sound like a good one to me
Oct 31, 2020, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan
So then it doesn’t sound like “99.95% of 3D guys have no concept”. My issue isn’t the rules it’s coming in saying nobody knows how to act. That atmosphere doesn’t sound like a good one to me
If you show up at a field for the first time, regulars have good reason to be a little suspicious. You can bet they're watching every move you make, on the ground and in the air. They're going to very likely be quick to offer a hand if they think you might need one.

Can't really blame them can you? Would you prefer to fly at a club with a rule you have to demonstrate your abilities to satisfy a check pilot prior to being allowed to solo? That rule isn't that unusual.

Guys just want a little assurance you're flying safely. I don't think that expecting too much, especially when flying on a flight line with several fairly expensive planes in harms way.

Bottom line, as a newbie, cut them some slack and give the guys time to get to know you - and how you fly. A good attitude will go a LONG way here... -Al
Oct 31, 2020, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
If you show up at a field for the first time, regulars have good reason to be a little suspicious. You can bet they're watching every move you make, on the ground and in the air. They're going to very likely be quick to offer a hand if they think you might need one.

Can't really blame them can you? Would you prefer to fly at a club with a rule you have to demonstrate your abilities to satisfy a check pilot prior to being allowed to solo? That rule isn't that unusual.

Guys just want a little assurance you're flying safely. I don't think that expecting too much, especially when flying on a flight line with several fairly expensive planes in harms way.

Bottom line, as a newbie, cut them some slack and give the guys time to get to know you - and how you fly. A good attitude will go a LONG way here... -Al
I agree with that completely. He didn’t say newbies though, he said “you 3D guys have no concept”. And I also said I have no issue with rules, I have an issue with throwing a blanket over all people. Even implying all 3D guys are newbies isn’t a correct assumption
Last edited by PensFan; Oct 31, 2020 at 12:19 PM.
Oct 31, 2020, 12:48 PM
I’ll reiterate that categorizing and saying 99.95% of (insert vague word) people are (insert another vague word) in this day and age is not polite, that would be something 99.95% of people should understand. That is the atmosphere that doesn’t sound fun to me

Quick Reply