Oct 24, 2020, 07:40 AM
Trader Rating: 242
Thread OP
Discussion

Flood of used 6 cell lipos?

I seem to be seeing so many used 5 & 6 cell packs popping up in the classifieds. What is the deal here?
It sure looks like people buy them in the spring, use them during flight season and then dump them via the classifieds until purchasing new ones again in the spring. Or am I way off here? It seems crazy that all of a sudden so many are getting sold off.....
Last edited by Joe 1320; Oct 24, 2020 at 07:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2020, 01:29 PM
Trader Rating: 0
Flog your old junk and keep your stuff new.

And given the unreliability of batteries, who's to say that it was already junk when sold off?. Could have crapped out the day after you got it. Too bad. So sad. Your problem as the purchaser.
Oct 24, 2020, 07:51 PM
Trader Rating: 136
Commander Missle Silo One
Used batteries are always going to be a hit or miss proposition. Just the risk you take buying used to save money.
Oct 24, 2020, 07:58 PM
Trader Rating: 63
Send lawyers, guns and money
Same odds as buying used glow plugs.
Oct 24, 2020, 08:03 PM
Trader Rating: 160
Build a scale plane already!!!
I see guys trying to sell used tires/rims on FB and C-list,, for giggles I emailed one guy,, asked for the date code,, he had no clue what that was, I figure the potential buyers don't either

Talk about rolling the dice,, many people do
Oct 25, 2020, 09:04 AM
Trader Rating: 31
Gentile
Buying used batteries is a crap shoot. I bought six used 6s batts last year and was disappointed. Asked for, and got, some money back as one was just done. Many folks have no way to measure ir so all youíll hear about is voltages good and always kept in storage. Thatís all good but youíll get some bad batts with just that info. Itís a win some, lose some kind of thing.
Oct 26, 2020, 04:33 PM
Trader Rating: 34
I've never bought used batteries and never sell them either. I might give some away but selling something like battery packs....seems a bit off putting.
I'd rather use the packs until they're worthless and scrap them rather that try and pawn them off on some unsuspecting person.
Oct 26, 2020, 05:51 PM
Trader Rating: 25
most exalted one
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale_only
I see guys trying to sell used tires/rims on FB and C-list,, for giggles I emailed one guy,, asked for the date code,, he had no clue what that was, I figure the potential buyers don't either

Talk about rolling the dice,, many people do
So I guess the 4 year old tires with a couple of seasons left, including OEM alloy wheels for $200 wasn't such a good deal when I was shopping for rims for my winter tires?
New would be $200+ for each new rim and the used ones were only used in the Summer. In better shape than the ones I had/have.
I knew I took a risk but the rims are perfect according to the tire shop that mounted the new tires.

Used battery packs...different story!
Last edited by 4*60; Oct 26, 2020 at 06:02 PM.
Oct 26, 2020, 06:02 PM
Trader Rating: 48
Buying used batteries, specially 5 and 6s packs which I'd assume are going in a little more expensive plane, is like playing Russian roulette with the longevity of your airplane.
Oct 26, 2020, 06:21 PM
Trader Rating: 160
Build a scale plane already!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
So I guess the 4 year old tires with a couple of seasons left, including OEM alloy wheels for $200 wasn't such a good deal when I was shopping for rims for my winter tires?
New would be $200+ for each new rim and the used ones were only used in the Summer. In better shape than the ones I had/have.
I knew I took a risk but the rims are perfect according to the tire shop that mounted the new tires.

Used battery packs...different story!
4 years old is still good,, it when the get over 6-8 years old and older you start taking chances,, that's why they put date codes on them

Even 6-8 might be OK if you're just driving around town,, but doing 75 down a the interstate? Not me
Oct 26, 2020, 08:00 PM
Trader Rating: 37
Resident Crashologist
I've had more than one bad experience buying used lipos (and a few good ones) from here. I'm to the point that I'm just going to buy new going forward. The savings you get just isn't worth the chance that the battery you receive will be quite different than it was presented.
Oct 26, 2020, 10:36 PM
Trader Rating: 82
I will not used batteries from ever. I've bought some and never got any good batteries. Always puffy! What's more fun is buy a heli or a quad and they always seem to send you there crappy batteries. So when I buy a used heli or quad I tell them to keep there batteries. Some of the sellers are like come on there is nothing wrong with them. Up yours!
Oct 27, 2020, 06:21 AM
Trader Rating: 242
Thread OP
I just thought it odd that all of a sudden, used 6s lipos are flooding the classifieds. It looks like someone got an insider stock tip to sell! Sell! Sell!
Oct 27, 2020, 07:51 AM
Trader Rating: 29
Last edited by RMurf101; Oct 27, 2020 at 08:00 AM.
Oct 27, 2020, 01:16 PM
Trader Rating: 241
Old newb
Used batteries, unless you know the IR values, are to be considered junk.

It is that simple.

Quick Reply