This thread is privately moderated by VicT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 23, 2020, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Programming the Elf for Parachute Descent

The free flight models use a de thermalizer system to stop the model from flying away. I wanted to do the same with the Elf and came up with a system that uses the flying stab to stop forward motion and bring the Elf vertically down. I programmed the elevator rate switch C2 to give full up that stalls the model but keeps the model level as it descends. If I release full up elevator the mode resumes flying. The Elf has to slow down gradually before applying full up elevator to get the correct level attitude before the descent starts. My low rate C0 switch postion is programmed for the Launch mode. I have elevator trim set for a high speed throw with about a 80 degree climb angle. At top of climb I can keep her in Launch mode for aerobatics or move the switch to C1 for Cruise Mode with a little more up elevator, or go into Thermal Mode C2 with more up elevator. I have the rates adjusted so that full up stick gives me the correct elevator angle for a vertical fuselage level descent. The Expo is adjusted so that normal elevator travel is available but full stick gives me full up elevator.

In flight adjustment is required to find the correct angle. An incorrect elevator angle will cause a porpoise descent or stall repetition. To prevent a nose down crash release full up elevator to recovery from the stall/crash manuever. Your CG will have an effect on the angle. My CG is slightly forward (2.9 inches) from what Vladimirís 2.9-3.3 inch range.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply