Oct 23, 2020, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
New Product

Radiomaster receivers.

Radiomaster just released six new receivers, two D16 mode and four D8 mode.

https://www.radiomasterrc.com/receivers

Manuals.

https://www.radiomasterrc.com/downloads

So far receivers price are quite low, around $8 - $12 per unit.
Some available on AliExpress right now and coming soon on Banggood.

Casually I've bought two "flagship" D16 receivers, D161 and D168.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2020, 01:12 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Interesting.

One thing I note is they are using the older D16v1 protocol, and don't seem to support the LBT variant needed for EU legality, or the D16v2 protocol with the fix for the critical USM bug.
Oct 23, 2020, 01:20 PM
Thread OP

What's inside.

Some pictures of the receivers side to side and comparison with Jumper R8 V1 receiver (green PCB).
Radiomaster's PCB layout is very similar to Jumper R8.
R161 and R168 are about the same if not PWM outputs.
Invertors, missed in R8, are in.
Oct 23, 2020, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
One thing I note is they are using the older D16v1 protocol, and don't seem to support the LBT variant needed for EU legality, or the D16v2 protocol with the fix for the critical USM bug.
Very likely they are the same copy, as Jumper receivers, so can be flashed wtih FrSky firmware for XSR and X8R...
Oct 23, 2020, 02:01 PM
Thread OP

First testing.

Need to say the lip on cases make very comfortable holding down the button while binding.
R161 shown battery voltage. Receivers was 1S LiPo powered. Not precise voltage readings, but it's editable in sensor menu.
R168 didn't show battery voltage at all.
What's wrong future testing will tell.
Analog voltage sensor (A2 must be?) wasn't present both receivers.

I did quick range tests through a few concrete/iron walls inside my basement as well. It seems the range are a little better, than Jumper R8 and comparable to FrSky receivers.
Oct 23, 2020, 02:06 PM
FJH
FJH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Interesting.

On RM internet page you find for download FCC and EU/LBT firmware, v1 and v2 ACCST version => https://www.radiomasterrc.com/downloads
Oct 23, 2020, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorF
Some pictures of the receivers side to side and comparison with Jumper R8 V1 receiver (green PCB).
Radiomaster's PCB layout is very similar to Jumper R8.
R161 and R168 are about the same if not PWM outputs.
Invertors, missed in R8, are in.
Is the protection diode the correct way round and are the voltage divider resistors the correct values?
I have had to modify my 2 Jumper R8 receivers with inverters, correct the diode polarity and solder an extra resistor.
Oct 23, 2020, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
I know about this R8 issue. Have to be checked but not today.

BTW
R168 PCB.
I'm curious what a pair of three pin hole sets are for.
Oct 23, 2020, 03:04 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
On RM internet page you find for download FCC and EU/LBT firmware, v1 and v2 ACCST version => https://www.radiomasterrc.com/downloads
Very good.

That's the best combination of shipping firmware (D16v1 FCC is the most common config) and covers all the bases for TX support.
Oct 24, 2020, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
Well, it seems Batt sensor is working in R168 receiver. Only a bit low numbers shown.
As mentioned in RM thread, Batt pin must be connected to power source. So inside only one voltage sensor, which can show receiver feeding or main battery voltage, depending of the wiring.
However, to be correct, other features can be available inside, just not connected to receiver pins.
Oct 24, 2020, 09:53 AM
Member of Hague Model Air Club
Flashed midelic firmware to radiomaster receiver with the jumper R8 method ( + and - with de battery connector) :-)
I've tested with my receiver, it's ok but i've no sport now :-( the rest is OK

Pascal
Oct 24, 2020, 09:58 AM
Thread OP
So, one set of pads on PCB are for programming.
Oct 24, 2020, 12:30 PM
The woodworm
Hello proublot
Midelic inverts the S-port in its firmware.
Since the R168 hardware inverters are built in, the output is now wrongly inverted.
Try to connect an inverter cable to the S-port and then read in your sensor again.

Greeting
Lothar
Oct 24, 2020, 01:15 PM
Thread OP

PCB pads determined.

One set are for firmware uploading, next is SBUS.
While receiver still opened, I've measured resistors of Batt circuit. 470k/100k voltage divider looks about right for max 18V Batt input. Diode soldered in right polarity.
Oct 24, 2020, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proublot
Flashed midelic firmware to radiomaster receiver with the jumper R8 method ( + and - with de battery connector) :-)
I've tested with my receiver, it's ok but i've no sport now :-( the rest is OK
Pascal
In Midelic`s FW is an option to set-up SPORT inverted or not via LUA script in TX, but I`m not sure if it already works ( I tested on LUA SBUS invert/ non-invert and it works, but don`t rememer if did also test on SPORT ), ask Midelic...

Quick Reply