Oct 25, 2020, 03:28 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliegenFrosch
What I have is the same thing which is Readi-Board.
Now I really want to know if the simple water technique works for you. If not, you may have found evidence of a new and nasty breed of Readi-Board.

-Flieslikeabeagle
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 02:54 AM
Thread OP
Maybe so. I haven't bought any fb in a couple of years but a couple of weeks ago bought three sheets for a small plane I'm about to build. The stuff that I had back then peeled off fairly easily without using anything as someone else pointed out. What I have seems to have two layers of paper on each side. The outer layer comes off in small pieces and the inner layer won't come off at all. Anyway, I've decided that HobbyLobby's fb is better quality and much more like depron so I'll going to use it instead. I looks like depron, is firmer and more rigid. Yeah I cost more but not too much as a 20"x30" sheet was only $3 and a 30"x40" is $6.
Oct 27, 2020, 08:08 PM
Scratch building addict
It's very strange, the dollar tree foam board (adams) that we have here just peels right apart.. No treatment required.

Originally I tried several sprays about 10 years ago ... and I don't know if I ever actually tried just peeling it off with my fingernails..??!!

By the way, dollar tree red bottle awesome carpet cleaner was by far the best of about 8 different spray detergents I tried.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSt
Elmer's brand is truly impossible to peel cleanly. I read about one guy who was able to get an edge started, attached it to a piece of pipe somehow, and rolled it forcefully back over the paper using the leverage of the rolling pipe to pull the paper loose. The resulting surface was fuzzy and needed much sanding. WOW!!! too much work for my planes! LOL!
This sounds like the foamboard I get here. There's no easy peeling and most of the 'tricks' I read in threads here either did nothing or actually made it worse. Buried in a few ancient threads dealing with this type of foamboard I found a couple of things:

Spray with 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol. Yes I've seen this for the easier foamboard but the reports there were it only took 10 minutes or so. This nasty foamboard needs at least an hour of soaking. The IPA will evaporate rapidly and I haven't found a way of stopping it. Keep spraying and soaking and eventually the paper will start to loosen off. Soaked long enough it will come off itself and leave a perfect foam finish behind. Best method though tedious due to constant spraying. Do it outside and on many sheets at once.

There is an extremely quick way of getting even the worst paper off but it comes at a cost. Automotive tar and glue remover is a very, very strong solvent and it got the nasty paper off in around 30 seconds. Fantastic, but it melted the edges of the foam sheet and stripped about a mm of thickness out of the foam. Not really suitable for the 5mm board as there's so little thickness already. OK on 10mm board but the thickness is reduced to 8-9mm which can be an issue if you're using 10mm thick balsa beams for spars etc.

The first tar and glue remover I tried was near instant at removing the paper. The next batch took a lot longer, around an hour. It doesn't evaporate like the IPA does but it also damaged the foam a bit.
Oct 29, 2020, 07:51 PM
Got shenpa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliegenFrosch
What I have seems to have two layers of paper on each side.
Very interesting!

Is your foam also brightly coloured (neon)?

I remember reading something about an alternative foam-core board at some dollar stores, which came in a slightly smaller size, in a handful of neon colours, and was reportedly very stiff. I *think* there was also some mention of it having two layers of paper on each side.

One person sanded the entire coloured layer off his foam (which seems like a lot of work). Others seemed to work with the foam as it was, using its additional stiffness as an asset.

Speaking of stiff foam, Dollar Tree also advertises these variously-shaped hunks of solid polystyrene(?) "floral foam": https://www.dollartree.com/floral-supplies/floral-foam

I suspect that stuff might be handy for carving and sanding nose-blocks or other small rigid parts of an airframe, particularly if compound curves are involved. It's quite brittle as I recall, so this will be a case of "Build to fly, not to crash."

There are some truly horrific chemicals sold over-the-counter in automotive parts stores. Some of these contain solvents that are really toxic (carb cleaner contains MEK for instance, and chlorinated brake cleaner contains equally frightening stuff). I'm talking about chemicals implicated in causing really serious medical problems, such as liver cancer, for example.

IMO, it's absolutely not worth using any of these really nasty solvents to peel foam-core board. Liver cancer is much too high a price to pay just to get cheap foam to make toy planes out of.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Oct 30, 2020, 03:43 AM
Thread OP
rotogen just jogged my memory. Adams foamboard is what I used to get from Dollar Tree. The paper peeled off with little effort. I remember being at the checkout counter when the clerk ask me if I was building model airplanes and I told him is was. He told me that most men who bought it were making rc planes with it.
Oct 30, 2020, 08:40 AM
Scratch building addict
My wife said we did try just peeling the Dollar Tree adams stuff when we bought from a different store years ago and it didn't work. Luckily I have a whole case of the easy peel stuff. I think they outsource the manufacturing to different factories depending on the year, etc.

I also use a more expensive but straighter and stiffer foam board I get from wal mart for things like tails, elevator rudder etc when I'm lazy and don't want to put carbon fiber strips into DT foam. Theres something I bought years ago they just called airplane foam from a hobby shop online...it's interesting stuff, tough as epp but stiffer and somehow still flexible...with thin plastic coating.

Use what you need depending on its properties. But definitely try "awesome" brand carpet cleaner in red spray bottles from dollar tree if you can get it..1 dollar and worked better than many expensive ones I tried just about everything.

Ethanol or Isoprop alcohol did nothing for me, even when combined with detergent.

Quick Reply