Oct 22, 2020, 01:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Old age conversion of DLG to Poly up-stat

Do to old age getting in the way of things (just a 78 year old kid) I converted two of my DLG's to Poly Dlg's to be launched by a up-start or short hi-start.

Old age and an equilibrium problem has forced me to try this. Has anyone else done this? I made the up-start from a Hi-start that was for a Tower Hobbies Fling that has been in the closet and never used. The rubber is 3/16" dia. and I made it 15feet in length ( un-stretched) with 30 feet of string. I may shorten the string to 20 feet. I just want to launch it to the height of a good DLG launch and not kite it up. I also made a 1m flying wing I want to launch with it. I placed the tow hooks about three inches back from the nose so it will pretty much fly flat ( parallel to the ground) until it releases form the rubber then flip a switch for it to rotate up just like a DLG.

Any suggestions or tips in doing this?

Here's some photos,

Eddie
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2020, 02:03 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I used to hi-start a DLG all the time. When I started flying hand launch, the Chuperosa was popular and I had a towhook on mine. I even winched it gently on many occasions.

There are some clubs around here who do zip start competitions with hand launch planes. Their contention is that it takes the "pesky youth dominated launch" phase out of the competition. Honestly I find hand launch competitions a little boring without the launch.

FWIW the tow hook on my Chuperosa and subsequent models was in the normal place, just ahead of the center of gravity. I never had any issues launching them at all. They all launched well.
Oct 26, 2020, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
I used to hi-start a DLG all the time. When I started flying hand launch, the Chuperosa was popular and I had a towhook on mine. I even winched it gently on many occasions.

There are some clubs around here who do zip start competitions with hand launch planes. Their contention is that it takes the "pesky youth dominated launch" phase out of the competition. Honestly I find hand launch competitions a little boring without the launch.

FWIW the tow hook on my Chuperosa and subsequent models was in the normal place, just ahead of the center of gravity. I never had any issues launching them at all. They all launched well.
I have been interested in using a high start set up for my DLG (Vortex 3) and have not found any DLG glider specific guidance for placement of the tow hook. Although I have read that placement about 25 mm forward of CG is suggested for larger 2m plus gliders, what range should a DLG hook be placed?

What worked for you?

Dan
Oct 26, 2020, 01:51 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
For the vortex you could even tape on a towhook temporarily. I've done it with my DLGs. I usually put it about 5-10mm forward of the CG. 5mm if you have quicker hands... 10mm if you want it to come out a little flatter. Tweak your launch program so it pulls up or have a friend throw it. They tend to come out flat if you use your DLG launch program
Oct 26, 2020, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Richardson
I have been interested in using a high start set up for my DLG (Vortex 3) and have not found any DLG glider specific guidance for placement of the tow hook. Although I have read that placement about 25 mm forward of CG is suggested for larger 2m plus gliders, what range should a DLG hook be placed?

What worked for you?

Dan
Dan, do a search here in the hand launch forum for Ballistic bungee launch. There's a video showing what I'm talking about. For some reason I can't attach the video.

Eddie
Oct 26, 2020, 03:01 PM
Great, I will try 10mm or so to start and will check out the Ballistic bungee launch video, etc. as well, thanks to both for the help.
Oct 27, 2020, 09:53 AM
Hog2Soar:

Hello, buddy.

There is a club in the Dallas (TX) area that does just what you are considering. They make no changes to their airplanes other than mounting a hook. Hook mounts for high starts seem to be universal: roughly 1/4-1/2 inch forward of the CG. Best launch is usually is a steep climb, then carrying the tow line to the top and flying off with no fuss. In other words: absolutely typical. They told me they tried the hi-speed, level launch, and a regular ol' high start worked best.

I have not tried it yet myself, but clearly see the day coming. That is one reason I migrated to F3RES.

FWIW, I once took a bagged, polyhedral wing and set it up on a DLG fuselage, and mounted a blade for F3K. It worked a treat, too. That was one sweet-flying airplane, although totally non-competitive. No flaps equals no approach control for fast turn arounds. I wish I had not sold that airplane.

Yours, Greg
Oct 27, 2020, 03:05 PM
I have been taping on a tow hook for a long time. I even used a tape on tow hook on my unlimited ships. They launched off the Nats winches with no problem. I used common filament tape.
Nov 08, 2020, 11:41 PM
I added a tow hook to one of my Libelles and it launched fine.

Quick Reply