Oct 22, 2020, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Question

Best Nano FPV Airframe?

How do the various nano FPV airframes compare in terms of efficiency, payload, and performance? I've been researching the Strix Nano Goblin, Ritewing Nano Drak, and ZOHD Nano Talon, Dart250G, but haven't found many direct comparisons between them.

I haven't found an AUW for the Nano Drak, but based on the size I'm guessing it's in a different class than the Dart250G and Nano Goblin. I assume it would handle wind better, but I'd like to stick to something that's at least possible to fly <250g.

The Dart250G is the least expensive by far, but looks to be less efficient than the Nano Goblin based on advertised flight times with comparable setups.

I'm leaning toward the Nano Goblin right now, but would be really interested to hear everyone's feedback and experience with nano FPV airframes. Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2020, 01:00 PM
I'd go for nano goblin. Easy to get below 250g, very efficient. Probably most expensive out of those you've mentioned bu worth it.

Wysłane z mojego LLD-L31 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Oct 22, 2020, 01:00 PM
the nano drak is gonna be over 250g for sure.

I'd love to hear from someone who owns both a dart 250g and a nano goblin, I just got done putting together a dart 250g but havent taken it out for a maiden yet
Oct 22, 2020, 01:03 PM
Check this out

🛩️ Strix Nano Goblin - Sub 250g long range INAV wing build (14 min 35 sec)

Oct 22, 2020, 01:30 PM
I would say the best all around would be the nano goblin and there would be no chance of getting the nano drak sub 250. I have a dji /vista system in my nano goblin and it carries it very well but is over 250g.
Oct 22, 2020, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Slightly off-topic, but is the Nano Goblin large enough to carry an OpenHD setup?
Oct 22, 2020, 02:04 PM
0800howsmyflying
No question........nano goblin!
Oct 22, 2020, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey
Slightly off-topic, but is the Nano Goblin large enough to carry an OpenHD setup?
depends on how heavy it is. a standard VTX that's appropriate for this is around 5-7 grams, plus another 5 grams or so for a decent antenna, then maybe another 10-20 grams for the camera, depending on which one you go with.
Oct 22, 2020, 02:59 PM
In this era of "Drone" hysteria the question I want to ask is which one of these is the least noisey??
I love my Z84 , it's reasonably efficient , reasonably quick but BOY is it noisey!!
I've been thinking of a replacement but it will all hinge on it's "Stealth" ability this time so a good comparison would be welcome please fella's
Oct 22, 2020, 03:15 PM
Lower kv motor + bigger prop + motor standoffs should solve that issue on most airframes. I fly NT Evo and even at 30m i can hardly hear it, but mostly cruising at about 40% throttle.

As for efficiency my best is 1h 1 min flight. 2134 mah used, 45,7km flown. 4S 3500mah lion pack. I'd love to own nano goblin.

Oct 22, 2020, 04:48 PM
Incidentally, RMRC have a Strix sale on at the moment. So, if you wanted to get the Nano Goblin, you can get 10% off.
Oct 22, 2020, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drambuidhe
In this era of "Drone" hysteria the question I want to ask is which one of these is the least noisey??
Unless you can find something with the prop/s up front, the least noisy in this class is *definitely* the Nano Goblin.
What makes any pusher quiet is having as slippery an airframe in front of the prop as possible.
If it's got a fat body with squared off rear of the fuselage, then the prop will scream in the dirty air it throws off.

I fly my NG at the park or near active athletic fields at half to full throttle and most folks don't notice it at all.
It's very non-threatening even when they do.

Just be aware that unless you put something like the Insta360 Go on any of these little planes, you
generally will not get anything resembling stable video if there is any wind at all. They all get kicked around to
greater or lesser degree. The NG can fly in quite strong winds, but you've gotta appreciate
flying for flying sake, not posting its vids on YT.

Here's an example of my 250g NG cruising around at 2/3rd to full throttle for a half hour on a 2S 18650 pack.
Thirty Minute Rip - 250g Nano Goblin w/ Caddx Vista (30 min 21 sec)

At the start of the flight there is about 5mph of wind, at the end up to 15mph spilling over that ridge.
Oct 22, 2020, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
PNP or kit? Do most people use the recommended motor/ESCs/servos?

Would I want a different ESC from stock if I was going to add a FC?
Oct 22, 2020, 06:02 PM
PNP is fine as long as you're not looking to overload it, or want it to go
significantly faster, or have > 1:1 thrust/weight ratio.. etc..
My plane in above video is original PNP on stock prop on 2S LiIon.
It has a FC and Caddx Vista and comes in right at 250g.

Add Insta360 Go, it's heavier. 3S heavier.. bigger motor.. heavier.
Oct 22, 2020, 07:01 PM
[deleted, duplicate post]

Quick Reply