Oct 21, 2020, 06:07 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Bowlus Super Albatross

Hello:
Looking for a set of (any scale ) plans of the Super Bowlus Albatross.

I've located many good pics of the two full scale ships.

I would like to see if it is possible to "kit-bash" a Baby Bowlus kit into a scratch built Super.

TIA
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2020, 11:00 PM
auto-tune remix
Fifteen years ago I emailed back and forth with the guy who built the reproduction Super Albatross in San Martin CA- JJ Sinclair. I have some documentation he sent me- didn't even ask for it, he sent it. It's more like a large 3-view he drew and worked from, not a plan.

Let me see if I can find it, and I'll get it scanned and email it to you.
Oct 23, 2020, 07:40 AM
Thread OP

Fantastic

Hello:
That would be great!!!

I bought a set of docs several years ago and cannot locate them. They were the large format factory 3-virews drawn by Jack Bowlus as well as a dozen photo graphs of the Bowlus designs signed by Hawley. A treasure trove.

I've even looked in the places that I know they CANNOT be!!

Thanks again
cheers
Jim
PS: I am trying to get the correct location for the boom placement in the pod. Some of my docs indicate that the boom was lowered quite a bit from the Ba 100 position. I also understand that the "replica" (JJ Sinclair) is not a real replica but a "scratch-built" from documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
Fifteen years ago I emailed back and forth with the guy who built the reproduction Super Albatross in San Martin CA- JJ Sinclair. I have some documentation he sent me- didn't even ask for it, he sent it. It's more like a large 3-view he drew and worked from, not a plan.

Let me see if I can find it, and I'll get it scanned and email it to you.
Oct 23, 2020, 09:38 PM
auto-tune remix
IIRC JJ said it was "his take" or something similar, and admitted he didn't have plans to work from. Super cool guy.

He ejected from an F-111 in the Sierras- let me see if I can find the link: https://www.pacificsoaring.org/westw...3_WestWind.pdf His "PHD in fear" starts on page 12. Looks like he ejected from an RF-4 too.
Oct 23, 2020, 10:45 PM
Thread OP

Thanks

Hello:
thanks for the info!

Something hit me like a "ton of bricks" reading the whole journal. How much valuable info/data/resources for the modeler is locked away in past issues of the full scale club newsletters........ I have about 10 years worth of full scale info with the US and Euro glider/sailplane newsletters/journals.

I located a pic from Western museum (JJ's ?) with the Super, that helps very much. I can probably located the boom/fuse position pretty accurately from the photo. But a set of "rough" drawings would still be better.

I have been unable to locate David Achen, aka "the brit" who built a 33% version many years ago. I followed him to Florida, but cannot get city, etc.

My goal is to be able to show interested modelers how to modify/evolve an available kit (Ray Hays, Wood crafters) into a Super with a minimum of efforts/funds.

Again Thank you!
cheers
Jim
PS: Ejecting from a F-111 would probably require a new flight suit (or severe cleaning) for most drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
IIRC JJ said it was "his take" or something similar, and admitted he didn't have plans to work from. Super cool guy.

He ejected from an F-111 in the Sierras- let me see if I can find the link: https://www.pacificsoaring.org/westw...3_WestWind.pdf His "PHD in fear" starts on page 12. Looks like he ejected from an RF-4 too.
Oct 25, 2020, 09:04 PM
auto-tune remix
I think David has a new screen name, IIRC.

I'll begin the dig through my plans tomorrow in earnest.
Oct 26, 2020, 08:56 AM
Everything is broken
I think "the Brit" goes by "Fudi50" now?
(not sure why I can remember that when I can't remember much of anything usually! )
Oct 29, 2020, 12:27 AM
VHO
VHO
glider misguider

Try this

I bought a 1/3 plan for the Super Albatross from Aerosente in 2012.

Their web address is https://www.aerosente.com/

Noticed they are in hibernation since late 2018.

There is a forward on their site to Tom Martin RC. Might be worth a try.

If you get really stuck I could get it copied and sent to you, but suspect the postage would be nasty.

A Super Albatross is still on my to do list. Saw the Baby Albatross hanging up at the Museum in Washington once, fell in love with it.

Hutton

PS The plan for BS-100 (Super Baby Albatross) is showing as available on Tom Martins site.
Last edited by VHO; Oct 29, 2020 at 04:36 AM. Reason: added hopefully helpful stuff
Oct 29, 2020, 09:57 AM
Thread OP

Thanks

Hello:
Thanks for the reply!!

My computer protection software will not allow me to access Tom Martin's website. Must be really infected with viruses.

I will be more than happy to pay for your time, copying, and postage to the US.

If you have time to do it.

I think the Skybench Aero 's plans, (The late Ray Hays) Baby Bowlus can be modified into a 1/5 scale Super. I need better data on the wing location and pod mods to be sure. If that works then I will modify it to 25-30% version. 33% is just to much of a ship. I just finished a 33% GBIII and it is ungainly in the shop.

Are you familiar with my good mate - - Ian Tamen? Yea, I know how big Australia is......... just checking.
cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHO
I bought a 1/3 plan for the Super Albatross from Aerosente in 2012.

Their web address is https://www.aerosente.com/

Noticed they are in hibernation since late 2018.

There is a forward on their site to Tom Martin RC. Might be worth a try.

If you get really stuck I could get it copied and sent to you, but suspect the postage would be nasty.

A Super Albatross is still on my to do list. Saw the Baby Albatross hanging up at the Museum in Washington once, fell in love with it.

Hutton

PS The plan for BS-100 (Super Baby Albatross) is showing as available on Tom Martins site.
Oct 29, 2020, 01:00 PM
Jim,

Look on etsy.com. That is where the drawing is listed for sale.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6399598...uper-albatross
Oct 29, 2020, 01:47 PM
Everything is broken
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7063675...ross-full-size

There are 2 listings for the 1/4 scale plans on page 4 of the site, at 2 different prices
Oct 29, 2020, 04:29 PM
The first listing is artwork, the second listing is plans.
Oct 29, 2020, 04:50 PM
Everything is broken
Make that 3 listings then
1 wall art on page 1
2 plan sets on page 4. (on my phone anyway, may be arranged differently if viewed on computer.)

Correction: plans available in 1/4 or 1/3 scale
Last edited by JimZinVT; Oct 29, 2020 at 04:57 PM.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:46 PM
Thread OP

Order's in

Thanks you:

I've only used ETSY once and am VERY surprised that the plans appear there instead of EBAY.

Thanks again.

cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7063675...ross-full-size

There are 2 listings for the 1/4 scale plans on page 4 of the site, at 2 different prices
Oct 29, 2020, 08:39 PM
Everything is broken
I'm not really familiar with the Etsy site. I always thought it was for artists.
(not saying Tom's not an artist!)
Hmmm, he has an interesting ASW-15 kit.....

Quick Reply