Jun 03, 2005, 08:42 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys!
Madguns, how does the E-Flight park400 compare to the Mega 16/15/5 in terms of thrust on the same cells,and with what prop?

I know my AUW will be higher than the reccomended for handlaunch, but I'm using my bungee/ramp system to get it airborne,so will be ok, plus I like the extra inertia that a higher AUW brings, much better for jet emulated flight, just how I prefer in the bigger picture.
I know the 5 turn isn't that 'hot' a motor,but with inertia and higher static thrust available,am hoping that the system will work ok.

It has been a lot of hard work to get it to this stage, masking takes forever,and the spraying is the easy part, but I think the extra effort is well worth the time,plus the POLY C and lightweight tissue has rendered it pretty well ding proof,so that's a bonus!

Anyway, look forward to your replies,and thanks too Iceman Have you returned to your build?
Right, wing fences tomorrow, I hope to have more photos by then.

Cheers,

Matt
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2005, 01:53 AM
bipeflyer

As mentioned earlier, you did a great job, it looks very good and I wish you all of luck on the maidenflight. I am finished with the build, but I can not find any rods that I have to fit into the plastictubes for the elevons. Those rods that I had seems to be to thich or to thin to fit. Have anyone got any suggestion on what to use?
Jun 04, 2005, 05:18 AM
Hi Matt,

Looks very nice, nice choice of colour scheme as well, with the attention to added scale detail it will be a pretty little jet.

I,ve always had success with hand launching at around 20-21 ozs and with the power train you are using I would have thought it would go away well. Wing loading is obviously the thing to watch, my 400 size pushers have all had around 1.25 sq feet (16 ozs loading) which is fine for giving it a chuck. How much wing area does she have out of interest?

If you do decide to hand launch just watch out for torque roll, the 339 with the 16/15/4 fitted needed some right hand bank and only 3/4 throttle at launch.

See also you got to fly a Typhoon before me , looks like a fun little model. At least I am in the process of paint at the moment, so not too much longer.

regards
Ron
Jun 04, 2005, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Hi Ron, great to hear from you,haven't seen you around here for a while mate!

Not sure of the wing area,will try to find out,but in direct comparison of my 32 oz F-14A pusher, this is how it compares,quite a bit smaller, and the F-14 has 6 servo's, Mega 16/15/4 and 6x4 prop.
The Hawk will be using the 5 turn,and will be a lot lighter, but am going with bungee ops, as when I take the Tomcat out next, I want to take the Hawk,so I will have my ramp at the ready, might as well put the Hawk on it too!

The little Typhoon is a lot of fun to fly, but yours will look so much nicer, am looking forward very much to seeing the finished article, so I wait with interest.

Hoping to get to Woodsprings E day,will see you there.?

Am working on the cockpit innards right now, more soon.

Matt
Jun 04, 2005, 07:32 PM
Hi Mate

Have a question for you reference Poly C.

How did you cover the plane and did you say you used tissue? I am building a fizza and will be covering with Poly C but am not sure how to start?

After reading your thread and seeing the pictures I am saving like mad to get my own hawk and will want to cover in Poly C.

As you can tell Im a total novice at this!!

Thanks Padge.
Jun 05, 2005, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Padge, it's very asy to do.You will need the lightest grade hobby store tissue you can find. Remember to shake the Poly C as it settles into part sediment before use.

Use a soft brush, start at the middle of the sheet of tissue and work outwards.
It can be very fragile and easily torn when wet, so take care!

After the 1st coat has dried thouroghly, put the second coat on.Again allow to dry out then light sand with fine wet and dry paper.
Remember to use the thinnest coats possible, work it through!

Apply the last well spread coat,sand gently,then paint! I used no primer on mine to save weight, but if you do, use the auto primer from Halfords, bit pricey, but the best there is out there (IMHO)

Good luck!

Matt
Jun 05, 2005, 12:06 PM
Thread OP
Done most of the canopy detail, just little bits and pieces to finish up, so here are the latest pics for you.

I have painted and installed the pilot using UHU POR again, and the istrument panels/side panels were downloaded from flight sim sites and pasted on.Made the 2 headrests from grey 3mm depron then painted, very light!
The pilots oxygen tube was made from 5mm depron and sanded then painted.

More tomorrow.

Matt
Jun 05, 2005, 03:55 PM
Hi bud
Im not too sure how the E-Flight Park 400 compares to the Mega.
I am running a direct drive set up with a Zagi Carbon propeller. This thing is smoking fast though with this set up. I have near vertical performance. When you bring it by for a slow flyby and gun the throttle it will pitch 80 degrees nose high and climb whilst accelerating. It does this with no elevator input.
Jun 06, 2005, 07:36 AM
Thread OP
Well, I have used Mega 16-15-4's to good effect in pusher jets before, but this is lighter than my GWS Zero which I modified to use retracts, so there was additional weight gain there, so using the same power system (5t Mega,ET1200 2S2P) and 7 x 5 APC 'E' prop should offer a healthy amount of power, the Zero was overpowered, but heavier,so am hoping the performance is 'up there' !

Sounds like you have a perfect power system with yours though!

Back to detailing...

Matt
Jun 07, 2005, 05:56 AM
Thread OP
Back to the LED question- I am ready to fit it in now.

Just discovered these 5mm white bulbs I have are 7000 mcd, but the brightest seen on the net are 13000!! Anyway, I want to know if anyone can help with my intended setup. I want to run it from 1 X 145 mAh LiPoly cell to save weight,I want to buy the correct rated resistor to use with it.

Any help please?

Thanks,
Matt

Here is a spec sheet for similar (or same) as my bulbs:

RL5-A7032
Super Bright LEDs
Aqua
5mm
20mA
3.6V
8 / Medium spot, high brightness.
Last edited by bipeflyer; Jun 07, 2005 at 08:28 PM.
Jun 07, 2005, 07:20 AM
Matt

The calculation is :- R = VS - VF Divided by IF

R = Resistance
VS = Supply Volts
VF = Led forward voltage
IF = Led current

So for your intended setup you need R = 3.7 - 3.6 divided by 0.02

Which equals 5 so a 4.7 ohm resistor would be ok 1/4 watt is ample.

Since the voltage of the battery is very near the led voltage you may get away with no resistor but it is always a good bet to include one.

Hope this helps. Sorry didnt do this earlier as promised got distracted!!

Gary
Jun 07, 2005, 01:23 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Gary-all done now. Got a 4.7 ohm resistor for 7p from Maplins, soldered it all up to an old futaba switch harness,works great. I can remove the battery to charge easily too.

Need to mount the whole system into the model, but first I need to cut the nose off to fit the refractor I made from the tip of an old tube of poly cement, then bored a tad under 5mm hole so is a good push fit.

Once I have cut thru the styrofoam,I'll mount the switch into the side of the fuse (inside),and the battery will sit on top of the main flight packs.

A little extra weight, but beats having to add coins to get the right CG!

Anyway, the pics tell all,have painted the decking black and added upper wingtip roundels.

More pics of actual install later.
Thanks again Gary, you are a star mate!!

Matt
Jun 07, 2005, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
Incidentally, for those othe Hawk owners out there, if you are experiencing snaps at the top of climbs or loops,fitting the wing fences will cure this.
A friend of mine has a 90mm EDF fan powered Hawk, and flies great. He broke off one of the fences and decided to remove the other.flew it again and was exhibiting the same behaviour as described above, he glued them back,and flew fantastic again, so will definitely have mine fitted for sure.
Sharply swept wings are a problem area here,that's why you'll see most fitted with fences.

Matt
Jun 08, 2005, 12:24 PM
Thread OP
More boring pics!

Have made the clear lens cover and fitted it, used a balsa plug then plunge moulded it onto some acetate.

Fitted and painted around it, also fitted more decals, the fin flash and 4 FTS crest were printed from my PC.
The rear fuse dorsal fins were made from ABS sheet,I have splayed them a little futher out than scale so they don't hit the ground when landing.

Above the fuse,behind the canopy I made 2 small inlets as per scale from Depron,glued and painted with white acrylic after fitting.

The wing fences were again from ABS,cut slots in wing and glued in/painted.

I had to extend the red line to the grey on the wing, but the paint crept under the masking, but will tidy up later!

That's all for today folks, hope you enjoyed your visit!

Matt

Quick Reply