Thread Tools
Jun 18, 2021, 08:06 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
That BWine version is nice, but for Australian buyers it costs MORE THAN FIVE TIMES as much from Amazon as the EAT06 does from the Australian warehouse of Banggood. I don't know whether it's worth that much just to have the smoke and rear lights, when you could have five EAT06s instead!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2021, 08:30 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec
That BWine version is nice, but for Australian buyers it costs MORE THAN FIVE TIMES as much from Amazon as the EAT06 does from the Australian warehouse of Banggood. I don't know whether it's worth that much just to have the smoke and rear lights, when you could have five EAT06s instead!
Yea it cost more it's $109.00 here but I swear to me it feels like it drives better also I don't recall to much how a stock one drives but to me the Bwine feels better I think when you turn fully it rotates slower? see my unboxing video I turn full speed on the table but to me it looks slow? and water operated smoker is awesome and makes it even that much more fun to drive and it makes a puff pop sound when it puffs it out also...it's cool!
Jul 04, 2021, 10:39 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

Failsafe? Yes!


I had not given a thought to failsafe with this tank because its top speed is 8Km/h so I didn't think it would ever be a problem. However, we have had an incident with my grandson driving where it stopped responding to the transmitter and took off at full speed in a straight line. There was a danger that it would go out onto a busy road and be crushed by a car, so my grandson was distraught, but fortunately I was able to catch it before that happened. It was a near thing.

So I checked to see what would happen if you turn off the transmitter when the tank is running. It turns out that it stops about 1 second after you do that. If you turn on the transmitter again, it doesn't restart, but that is good. If it has disappeared under something, you don't really want it taking off again when you turn the Tx back on.

I will be teaching my grandson to turn off the transmitter if there is ever a runaway again. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect it is a transmitter problem. I had a problem described earlier with reverse not working which I described in earlier post #98, together with the solution. I think this could be the same sort of problem, except with the control jammed on instead of off. So I will apply the same fix to my grandson's Tx.

I concluded also that if the tank ever goes out of range it would stop. I haven't done any range test but I haven't seen it go out of range, so I think it is sufficient.
Last edited by 1auriec; Jul 04, 2021 at 11:01 PM. Reason: additional info
Jul 19, 2021, 09:53 AM
Registered User
SG 1203 drift rc tank modified 3s FAST (6 min 20 sec)
Aug 24, 2021, 11:27 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

A couple of bits and pieces


I found out something recently that might be useful to someone. The battery from this tank is very suitable to power the Taranis QX7 radio control transmitter, that very many people use to fly their model aircraft, helicopters, quadcopters, and a few even use for their RC ground vehicles. It's actually a better fit in the battery bay than the lipo that is sold specifically for the Tx. The Tx is powered through the balance port, which makes sense because the current draw is very low, and because the balance ports are standardised but the main power connectors are not. So you could use just about any 2S battery as long as you can get it into the battery bay.

Another point is that the USB charger cable that comes with the tank can be a lifesaver if you are out and about and your Taranis transmitter battery gives a low voltage warning. You can give it a quick charge from a USB port in your car or using a powerbank just to get you going again until you can give the battery a full charge.

On another subject, I've broken this tank in numerous ways, mostly because of abusing it so hard, and I've found that the part my grandson and I have broken most regularly is the main steering gear. Fortunately you can get the part from Banggood and from a number of sellers on Aliexpress. The same goes for nearly all the parts, but you need to search for SG1203 which is really just another name for the same tank. If using Ali, it pays to shop around, as the prices and postage vary a lot from different vendors.

I think I've mentioned this before, but although the description doesn't say so, the item on BG at least comes not just with the main steering gear but with the other three gears in the steering part of the gearbox, and the steel axles for them. This is mainly of academic interest, as it seems the main gear is always the one that breaks.
Last edited by 1auriec; Aug 25, 2021 at 01:32 AM.
Aug 25, 2021, 12:27 PM
Registered User
I'm thinking about putting a brushless motor in my 1203. Has anyone done it? Any motor that can fit size wise? I will replace electronics and receiver too if I can find a right motor. Thanks
Aug 25, 2021, 08:31 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_zek
I'm thinking about putting a brushless motor in my 1203. Has anyone done it? Any motor that can fit size wise? I will replace electronics and receiver too if I can find a right motor. Thanks
I'm presuming you would do this to try and get better performance out of the tank. When others have asked me this, I have taken the view that it wouldn't be worth doing. Even with the current brushed motors, the gearbox seems to be driven quite hard, and adding a lot more power would I think cause frequent gearbox failures and perhaps overheating. Reptileman above has successfully used 3S batteries with the existing motors, and that gives a significant performance boost. It remains to be seen whether that will cause other components to fail though.

The supplied brushed motors do seem to be very robust, and despite lots of running I have not had a single motor failure or performance drop off in any of my tanks.
Aug 27, 2021, 12:48 AM
gke
gke
Registered User

Fpv


Grandson (and I) had bit of FPV fun with a cheap camera.
Aug 27, 2021, 01:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec
I'm presuming you would do this to try and get better performance out of the tank. When others have asked me this, I have taken the view that it wouldn't be worth doing. Even with the current brushed motors, the gearbox seems to be driven quite hard, and adding a lot more power would I think cause frequent gearbox failures and perhaps overheating. Reptileman above has successfully used 3S batteries with the existing motors, and that gives a significant performance boost. It remains to be seen whether that will cause other components to fail though.

The supplied brushed motors do seem to be very robust, and despite lots of running I have not had a single motor failure or performance drop off in any of my tanks.
Thanks for your reply. Yea I figure it's not worth it but I still want to try something crazy and have fun with it. I went ahead and ordered https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-2...=USA&ID=511893
with ESC and some other stuff. I'll post pictures if it fits and everything works out but it will be few weeks until I gather everything and work on it.
I'm working on upgrading tracks now. Let's what happens.
Aug 31, 2021, 06:52 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_zek
Thanks for your reply. Yea I figure it's not worth it but I still want to try something crazy and have fun with it. I went ahead and ordered https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-2...=USA&ID=511893
with ESC and some other stuff. I'll post pictures if it fits and everything works out but it will be few weeks until I gather everything and work on it.
I'm working on upgrading tracks now. Let's what happens.
Good luck! Keep us posted - there are plenty of people who will be interested in how it goes.
Sep 16, 2021, 11:47 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1auriec
Good luck! Keep us posted - there are plenty of people who will be interested in how it goes.
Thanks. Yes I got some electronics and stuff. I have not done anything with it yet, been busy. I will post how it goes when I get to it


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video SG 1203 RC RIPSAW drift tank HOW TO upgrades & mods reptileman RC Tanks 0 Oct 08, 2020 06:38 PM
Video BASH testing the ripsaw style RC tank!! reptileman Off-road Cars 0 Sep 17, 2020 08:01 AM
Video BASH testing the ripsaw style RC tank!! reptileman RC Tanks 0 Sep 17, 2020 08:00 AM
Discussion SG 1203 RC Tank Led Question Tar18 RC Tanks 12 Apr 02, 2020 06:00 AM
New Product SG 1203 1/12 2.4G Drift RC Tank Car High Speed Full Proportional Control Vehicle Mode Merch Banggood.com 2 Oct 11, 2019 04:13 PM