Oct 19, 2020, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Outer Zone Plans ( CANDY )

Need Outer Zone plans of the old pattern plane (CANDY) converted to full size plans. Will pay for plans and mailing.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2020, 06:01 PM
DavidsPlanes
Hi Ron,

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly but I downloaded the plans on Outerzone and did a quick check to see if they were to scale. They were slightly larger than scale which is not uncommon when plans are scanned. I've put them back to spec so the attached plans have a 70" wing span and a 49.5" length.

The length is 1.5" shorter than the 51" spec as I suspect the designer included a spinner in the overall length. Back in the 60's a spinner with a 1.5" length was probably common. Since the nose ring is 2" OD a modern standard spinner would also add 2" in length bringing the fuse OA length to 51.5".

I also made sure the plans are level so if you print the attached PDF at your local printers 1:1 (no scaling) you'll have what I think you are looking for.

I hope this helps,

David
Last edited by doxilia; Oct 19, 2020 at 10:28 PM.
Oct 19, 2020, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Hi David
Thank you very much, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Take Care.
Ron
Oct 20, 2020, 05:55 AM
Oxford Panic
That's quite an elaborate steerable nose leg set-up. I don't think I would be tempted to do it that way.
Oct 20, 2020, 07:47 AM
DavidsPlanes
1963. Bearings hadn’t been invented yet. Nor had the lever arm.

Glad the plans are what you need Ron.

David
Oct 20, 2020, 07:48 AM
Intermediate Multi
That setup makes sense to me. A 70" wing span plane powered by a .45.
Oct 20, 2020, 07:52 AM
Why you type so loud?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia
Hi Ron,

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly but I downloaded the plans on Outerzone and did a quick check to see if they were to scale. They were slightly larger than scale which is not uncommon when plans are scanned. I've put them back to spec so the attached plans have a 70" wing span and a 49.5" length.

The length is 1.5" shorter than the 51" spec as I suspect the designer included a spinner in the overall length. Back in the 60's a spinner with a 1.5" length was probably common. Since the nose ring is 2" OD a modern standard spinner would also add 2" in length bringing the fuse OA length to 51.5".

I also made sure the plans are level so if you print the attached PDF at your local printers 1:1 (no scaling) you'll have what I think you are looking for.

I hope this helps,

David
It's this kind of stuff David (going out of your way to help someone with no personal gain), that make you a true asset not only to the modeling community, but for humanity as well. Thanks for being you.

Jeff
Oct 20, 2020, 08:43 AM
+1. David is the best!! Hope I can meet him and shake his hand some day and thank him for all the help he has given me.
Oct 20, 2020, 11:51 AM

candy

hi
i still have one of the original plane with a fiberglass fuselage.
Oct 20, 2020, 11:54 AM
DavidsPlanes
Why thank you Jeff and Ken. That's very kind of you both!

It doesn't take a great deal of time and I was glad to be able to lend Ron a hand. That said, I strongly suspect that I am derelict with some other offers to help I may have made and emails I have to reply to. But the real credit goes to the many kind modelers who contribute plans to the public distribution websites (Outerzone, Hippocket's, etc.) as well, of course, to the developers of those websites. I hope the birth of these websites will be a long lasting contribution to the hobby and that others will step in to administer them when their developers are no longer able to.

Back to the Candy, I had another quick look at the plans and noticed that they have some rather wide and hefty wing tips which are 3" in width. Sans tips, the wing would have a 64" span. Also, the outer rib bays have a 4" separation and was thinking that the model might really come alive with a clipped wing omitting the last rib bay. Without tips and the last rib bay, the wing would be down to 56" which is quite acceptable for a ~51" fuse length and powered by a muffled 40 or 45. I would actually add 1" width tips to bring the model to 51.5" length and 58" span. I have built several models with these dimensions and they are just great.

According to the fuse side view, the wing chord is 11.93" so a wing with a 56" span (without tips) would have an area of 668 sq in - more than plenty for even a 6.5 lb model. Nevertheless, I feel the model could easily be built to about 5.5 lbs.

However..., if the goal is to be true to the original design in all aspects, then the original 70" wing span should be retained. I would merely recommend that the tips be mostly hollowed out as there is a fair bit of material there which is unnecessary.

David
Last edited by doxilia; Oct 20, 2020 at 02:34 PM.
Oct 20, 2020, 07:19 PM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack5
hi
i still have one of the original plane with a fiberglass fuselage.
We would love to see it. Do you know the source of the fuselage?
Oct 20, 2020, 07:37 PM

candy

hi

it is in the rafters now and is painted using yellow clear dope aero gloss paint on the fiberglass fuselage and flying surface. the original had a option that was a glass fuselage. i will look at taking some pictures. i flew it with on reeds. using a orbit radio in the 60s.
Oct 20, 2020, 07:57 PM
Brighto?
I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the fuse is from Glas Kraft. I have the Viper
Oct 22, 2020, 02:15 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne
That's quite an elaborate steerable nose leg set-up. I don't think I would be tempted to do it that way.
The main difference in the nose gear setup is the torsion bars. Notice the nose gear strut did not have any coils compare to some later nose gear strut designs. So in order to relieve some of the stress on landing the designer (Cliff) used two 1/8" wires as torsion bars so the nose wheel has a bit of "give" upon hitting the ground.
Oct 22, 2020, 02:17 PM
AMA 46133
>>1963. Bearings hadn’t been invented yet. Nor had the lever arm. <<

In this case I believe the "bearing" for the nose gear is the nylon block. Not much different than the typical setup for some later designs.

Quick Reply