Oct 19, 2020, 06:06 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

MZ-32: Building a DSM2/DSMX Adapter Module

Hi All,

Now that DSM2/DSMX is now properly working (including binding) with the MZ-32 in the forthcoming software update, I figured a new simple thread going over how to put together a simple module (using OEM Horizon Hobby RF Modules) would help. This module can also be used in other radios (like Taranis, FrSky, etc) that have a JR compat. module bay.

These harvested OEM RF Modules are official FCC licensed modules, which is why I prefer this route. You can quite easily harvest them from some of the low cost Spektrum/HH radios like DX5e, MLP4DSM, etc...

HH used to sell a standalone 'DSM Air' module that made this so much easier for users of other radios that have BNF DSM aircraft, but they've discontinued them.... No idea if they plan to make them again...

My project on hackaday, with parts list, instructions, MZ-32 binding instructions, etc.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://hackaday.io/project/175455-g...adapter-module

This variant is based on the DSM adapter board, that John Prikkle put up online some years ago. If you aren't comfortable soldering small components, you can build his version instead that uses through-hole components. Either will work.

John Prikkel's original module:
--------------------------------

http://johnprikkel.blogspot.com/2014/07/jr-dsmx.html

*** The only MAJOR problem at this point is HH stopped selling the empty DM9 module shell that these modules are based upon!! You may be able to find them out there online somehwere, but it seems they are already hard to find....Argghhh... ***

On John's page I believe he posted the plans for 3D printed cases, so if anyone has a printer you could make them that way.... still need an antenna though, the DM9 empty case was sweet in that it was ready to go, antenna included.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2020, 07:27 PM
Thanks for sharing!

We are on the final leg for the software which should be out shortly.
Oct 28, 2020, 09:50 PM
c/f
c/f
oops wrong forum
Latest blog entry: Times up,,......

Quick Reply