Mar 03, 2021, 12:15 PM
Having a switch setup to add in the appropriate up elevator would probably be easier
than trying to do it with your left hand (across the transmitter, assuming mode 2).

Why would FWBA + manual up elevator be any better than TAKEOFF MODE, which
already has a preset pitch angle and throttle and should be stabilizing just the same?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2021, 12:30 PM
JohnVHRC
I throw with my left, but I am right handed, hold a little up in it, give it over half throttle at least.

WINDY FLIGHT Sonicmodell AR Wing Pro 1000mm Wingspan FPV Flying Wing (5 min 40 sec)
Latest blog entry: Umx a10 wringout
Mar 03, 2021, 12:43 PM
Even yours rolled a full 90 degrees to the right a moment after release
which seems to be pretty common (in my experience).
If that's not corrected *instantly* then it usually won't make it
and just goes straight into a flick and spin.
It's also easier to launch into wind with more airspeed form the start and
this plane is harder to launch in no wind conditions.
Mar 03, 2021, 12:49 PM
JohnVHRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Even yours rolled a full 90 degrees to the right a moment after release
which seems to be pretty common (in my experience).
If that's not corrected *instantly* then it usually won't make it
and just goes straight into a flick and spin.
It's also easier to launch into wind with more airspeed form the start and
this plane is harder to launch in no wind conditions.
Yeah, thats my fault on how I launched it, my first flight was way better, shown in the other video I did. This is why you should throw with the left and fly with the right, OR have someone else launch for ya.
Mar 03, 2021, 02:25 PM
Or launch into a proper stabilized mode...
Mar 03, 2021, 02:30 PM
JohnVHRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Or launch into a proper stabilized mode...
Mine doesnt have one, (no gyros in mine), but thats a good option for sure.
Mar 03, 2021, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry_boatface
No, only rlog and tlog.
If you are using TAKEOFF mode then you better put the transmitter on the ground, enable takeoff, and then toss the plane with your hand while doing the little run and hop ).
I launch in FBWA, I toss the plane with right hand, the transmitter hangs on the rope over the neck, I apply FULL up elevator with left hand (maximum pitch is set to 30degrees) And I also throw approximately 30 degrees up while standing up from half crouching position.
I tried to use FBWA to launch today. But it failed again.

Here are logs and OSD/FPV video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cjy...ew?usp=sharing

20210303ArWingProTakeOffCrash (0 min 21 sec)

It seems it still didn't get enough speed. It's a calm day. Any suggestions? How can I launch it hard enough? Thanks in advance.
Mar 03, 2021, 06:03 PM
JohnVHRC
39kph? Plenty fast, need to try throwing it level, and UP. It seems like there just isnt enough time to level it back out, have you tried the up over to your back toss?
Mar 03, 2021, 06:31 PM
Yes more up, and there was a lot of yaw rotation on that one.
Paused at 0:08 you're pointed like 45 degrees to the left of launch
direction. It's tricky when you're doing a side arm throw but
need to think of it as a straight "pull" rather than swing.
Mar 03, 2021, 08:47 PM

DroneOrcas

I did two more tests in TakeOff mode. One overhead launch. One level hand throw. Both failed due to the right roll.

First Over Hean launch. This one got up high enough. But the plane kept rolling right and cannot recover.
Video:
20210303ArWingProOverheadLaunchTKModeCrash (0 min 11 sec)

Bin Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cI1...ew?usp=sharing

From the bin log, it shows the plane rolled right to 80 degree and full aileron. But it still cannot recover and lead to the crash.

Second level TakeOff mode hand launch. It's the same right roll and crashed.
Video:
20210303ArWingProTKModeFailedRollRight SecondTry (0 min 18 sec)

Bin Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MzT...ew?usp=sharing

It seems my plane has some issue with recovering from rolling right. I checked the range of the ailerons. Both left and right have the same throw.

Any suggestions on what I should check and further investigate the right roll issue?
Last edited by DroneOrcas; Mar 03, 2021 at 10:13 PM.
Mar 04, 2021, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneOrcas
I tried to use FBWA to launch today. But it failed again.
Here are logs and OSD/FPV video:.
Here your mistrake is visible more clearly. You provided to much rotation witn your hand. It was 45 degrees to the right while speed was 30 km/h. This is too slow for aierons to provide torque, there is not enough airflow to turn plane back to level. You must throw it level and do not turn with a wrist.
There is nothing wrong with your plane!
Mar 04, 2021, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry_boatface
Here your mistrake is visible more clearly. You provided to much rotation witn your hand. It was 45 degrees to the right while speed was 30 km/h. This is too slow for aierons to provide torque, there is not enough airflow to turn plane back to level. You must throw it level and do not turn with a wrist.
There is nothing wrong with your plane!
But the over heand launch was pretty level when I released it. But it still rolled right. This confused me.
Mar 04, 2021, 04:56 PM
I found it easier to launch the plane holding it from the front by the fpv camera over my head and got a little run. Seems that when I would think about launching it side throw while launching it would end up crashing lol.
Mar 05, 2021, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMdesertracer
I found it easier to launch the plane holding it from the front by the fpv camera over my head and got a little run. Seems that when I would think about launching it side throw while launching it would end up crashing lol.
Does the motor run when you hold the plane over head? Or set a delay start? I tried this with motor off. It does fly much level and glide further than side launch. But it's hard to find a grip point on the bottom for the other hand.
Mar 05, 2021, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneOrcas
But the over heand launch was pretty level when I released it. But it still rolled right. This confused me.
I was making the same mistake before. It looks like you tossing it straight while in fact you making a twist. Try filming yourself tossing and pay attention to the wrist.
My AR also was rolling right very hard but with no crash, so I just tried tossing it while twisting a little to the left to compensate for my crooked hands )

Quick Reply