Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 21, 2005, 09:13 PM

lipo explosion in my workshop

Found this in my workshop a few min ago. I guess the fireproof containers did their jobs.

Old pack, charged a thousand times. Def not set for the wrong number of cells, 99% sure the rate was right. I have gotten sloppy about being in the room when I'm charging.

I guess I'm going to have to charge in the driveway.

Leoanrd
Last edited by Leonard; May 21, 2005 at 09:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2005, 01:18 AM
Permanently Banned
ouch!

What cells were they?

Larry
May 22, 2005, 01:23 AM
Just "PLANE" crazy
WOW!!! makes me scared...
Hope my nothing happens to my cells wont hear the end of it from my mother if i burn my room down
-Ashwin
May 22, 2005, 01:47 AM
Is that a Battery Bunker in the picture? If so, how did it hold up?

I would also like to know what size and maker of the packs.

Balch
May 22, 2005, 06:31 AM
Was that the position of the Triton? Or was it over the battery?
Were you charging at 1C? What about the Voltage setting?
Can you power up the Triton and get your last settings?
Last edited by Pookee; May 22, 2005 at 06:37 AM.
May 22, 2005, 07:09 AM
Southern Pride
This shows that it is well worth takeing precautions to minimize damage when things go wrong?
Like a few wise users have said here in the past ,it's not if but when.
Looks like containment worked ,question is was lip on or off?
Judging from the photo it looks like nothing was moved before the photos were taken. I have never had A Triton charge a LiPoly pack if the cell count was not set correctly ( if it indeed it was set to Li Ion (Poly)so that leaves the big questions was the battery(cell) type and rate set correctly?

Since it was "an old pack charged a thousand times" ,had the cells ever been checked for balance?

Charles
May 22, 2005, 08:15 AM
I was charging a 3S Kokam 1500 pack. I only have 2 and 3 cell packs, and only charge the 3s packs with the Triton, so it stays set at the voltage for 3s packs (11.1v?).

I will try to power up the triton and check my charge settings.

It is a Battery bunker and it held up well. I did not have the lid on the bunker - I have worried about 'shrapnel' from the bunker with the lid on.

All things considered, I feel lucky.

Leonard

PS the triton was sitting exactly as it is the first photo (except it was plugged into the power supply).
May 22, 2005, 09:56 AM
Leonard, thanks for sharing this as it helps us all understand what can happen when something goes wrong. One lesson from this incident is that the charger must be better isolated from the pack to avoid damage to the charger in case of fire.

My main concern with this type of setup is that it does nothing to prevent burning embers from blowing out the top and possibly setting fire to nearby combustible materials. This is why I don't believe it's safe to leave this type of charging setup unattended.

Did you see any evidence of burning embers falling nearby and scorching anything?
May 22, 2005, 10:29 AM
Leonard,

I'm glad your home was not damaged! Stories like this reinforce the fact that all the safety precautions we take are not in vain!

Remember, the next house you save might be your own!

Jerry
May 22, 2005, 12:08 PM
I charge mine in a steel box, but I wonder if it is enough.

Why is it that camcorders, cell phones, digital cameras, PDAs, MP3 players etc. use the same technology and don't catch fire?
May 22, 2005, 12:11 PM
I checked the charger and It was set correctly. 11.1V, 1.5A for lithium batteries for a 1500 mAh 3S LiPo.

There is no evidence that the embers hurt anything.

BTW, does anybody know if a burnt LiPo is toxic?

My plans for future charging is to do it in the garage, away from compusibles, and to put my current set-up (cinder blocks and battery bunker) in a metal trash can with a lid.

L

PS Since I am now in the market for a new charger, what do you guys think is the safest charger available?
May 22, 2005, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe Flier
Why is it that camcorders, cell phones, digital cameras, PDAs, MP3 players etc. use the same technology and don't catch fire?
My understanding is that Lithium Ion packs are less combustible than Lithium Polymer, although there have been a number of reliable reports of cell phone batteries exploding.

Leonard
May 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard
My understanding is that Lithium Ion packs are less combustible than Lithium Polymer, although there have been a number of reliable reports of cell phone batteries exploding.

Leonard
Phones use both Lithium-Polymer and Lithium-Ion cells.
The difference between our application and every other use of the cells is that we don't use safety circuits. The battery pack on you PDA or phone or anything else has a built in safety circuit. Use of these cells without safety circuits is seriously frowned upon but we can't use them that way without compromising safety in other ways. We can't risk losing all power to a plane in flight.

Aidan
May 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
I thought that Lithium Polymer was safer because it would burn whereas Lithium Ion would explode.
May 22, 2005, 12:23 PM
I see that newer packs are coming out with charge ports. Hopefully this will solve the problem, or at least lessen it.