View Poll Results: GREATEST STAR WARS QUOTE!
"Laugh it up, fuzzball." --Han to Chewbacca 189 19.40%
"I am your father." --Vader to Luke 173 17.76%
"Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." --Ben 45 4.62%
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." --Yoda to Luke 220 22.59%
"I got a bad feeling about this."--Han Solo and others 110 11.29%
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa." --Vader, after strangling Needa 53 5.44%
"I'd just as soon kiss a wookiee." --Leia to Han 29 2.98%
"Don't worry, she'll hold together . . . You hear me, baby? Hold together!" --Han to the Falcon 126 12.94%
Other (post it in the thread) 29 2.98%
Voters: 974. You may not vote on this poll

Jul 29, 2005, 08:24 PM
that would be cool, but it depends on the type of glow i the dark paint I think.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2005, 10:47 PM
LEDs should be fine on a 3 cell 11.1 volt Li-po. You are worried limiting the current through them, just make sure you have the right value series resistor from something like: R = (Vsource - Vled)/I.

Vled if usually 2 volts but I believe is about 4 volts for blue and current would typically be about 20ma, so something like R=(11V-4V)/20ma=350ohms for blue would be ok (350 is not a typical value, use 360 or 390ohms). I would suggest not running leds in parallel without each having its own current limiting resistor. You could also run several in series to get more to light from a given amount of current. In that case add them up to get Vled, i.e. for 2 in series Vled = 4V + 4V (for blue), then R = (11V-8V)/20ma=150ohms.
Jul 29, 2005, 11:13 PM
Just took a break from building the MF.I was going to take a few build pics but I got so excited I just forgot.I have been wanting to build one of these for a long time,but I dont have the skills to design that Go-Rc has.I love the way the thing is laid out it is such a "simple"design.(not to say that it was easy to design)

How about adding some kind of screen or mesh material to the "engine compartment"?Paint it white and add a couple of high outpu LEDs to illuminate it.

Gotta figure out how to make this thing take off vertical.Maybe a ducted fan in the center?

Gotta get back to building I will post some pics later.
Last edited by nstaller; Jul 29, 2005 at 11:22 PM.
Jul 29, 2005, 11:52 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Thread OP
Seems like running the LEDs off the main battery to keep down weight along with lining them parallel in a series with each having its own resister are the way to go. The only problem with lighting the engine is that area needs to be open for the elevons to accurate and also allow air to flow through the center of the ship. Maybe if it was dark enough the lights inside would just be enough to illuminate the engine on their own. Hmm not sure how to make it work?
Jul 30, 2005, 12:11 AM
Thread OP
Nstaller, I'm glad your enjoying the build. What type of foam are you building with? Looking forward to your photos. I agree and still believe the Falcon would be to cool as an EDF. She has that nice opening down the center. Maybe someone will try it?
Jul 30, 2005, 08:28 AM
Here's a couple of pics.
Jul 30, 2005, 08:34 AM
I ran out of glue last night or I would have been done.
I plan on maidening it this afternoon if the weather co-operates.
Gonna have to try a edf version next.Would a single edf have enough thrust to lift this thing (vertical)??
Jul 30, 2005, 08:39 AM
Thread OP
Wow, you weren't messing around. It took me 3 weeks to get that far. she looks nice ,good job. Be sure and watch you CG close it can be touchy. Did you add the carbon rods? I don't know about an EDF getting her vertical.. but a Mini Fan 480 or better might keep her flying.
Last edited by GO-RC; Jul 30, 2005 at 08:45 AM.
Jul 30, 2005, 09:03 AM
Could you do like thrust vectoring for the Falcon, has anyone done that with an RC model. Maybe vectoring could help with controlling her.

Symmbian
Jul 30, 2005, 10:54 AM
The lhs was out of carbon rod so I used some scrap lite ply instead should work ok I am just worried about the extra weight.Man those side passage pieces are making me crazy lots-o-sanding
My 9 year old son is having a blast helping me on it.(priceless time together)
Once he saw what I was building he dropped that Playstation controller and didnt pick it up the rest of the night. As soon as this one is finished we are gonna build him a trainer.

Off to get some more ca and accelerator.Will post some more pics.later.
Jul 30, 2005, 11:02 AM
Two edf's one to raise it up and one to fly it.Throw some retacts on it and it would be freakin awesome.Just like the "real"one.
Jul 30, 2005, 11:09 AM
What kind of glue are you guys using? I have tried several, with poor success so far...
Jul 30, 2005, 01:46 PM
I expect you to die.
There was an old trick I saw for gas powered Ducted Fans from way back. Take some window screen material, and put it over the cheater hole. Well, now we have that nylon screen material that weighs practically nothing. Some flourescent paint, and viola!... Glowing engine in the back.

As for glue, I've been using the UHU contact cement for quite a while now. Great stuff. I liked my first tube so much, I called the company and ordered an entire crate full. So now I have a few hundred extra tubes...

http://www.foamfly.com/customer/prod...roductid=18416

-Dan

P.S. Wow, those build pics are impressive. I really can't weight to get home and start mine. My razor 350 may just have found a home...
Last edited by Hippo; Jul 30, 2005 at 01:52 PM. Reason: I forgot some stuff.
Jul 30, 2005, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaller
The lhs was out of carbon rod so I used some scrap lite ply instead should work ok I am just worried about the extra weight.Man those side passage pieces are making me crazy lots-o-sanding
My 9 year old son is having a blast helping me on it.(priceless time together)
Once he saw what I was building he dropped that Playstation controller and didnt pick it up the rest of the night. As soon as this one is finished we are gonna build him a trainer.
lol, ya those side passages take some time. My ship did take a couple heavy landings at first and those carbon rods saved the day. The front does need some kind of support.
Thats cool the ship pulled your son from the play station. My daughter got envolved with my build for a while. My kids love Star Wars.
Jul 30, 2005, 02:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmbian
Could you do like thrust vectoring for the Falcon, has anyone done that with an RC model. Maybe vectoring could help with controlling her.

Symmbian
Others have mentioned that idea before. I imagine you would need a lot of thrust to make it work with an EDF. I saw a plan for a pusher with thrust vectoring.

Quick Reply