Oct 17, 2020, 07:33 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Thread OP
Discussion

Removing CA from film covering

Is there a way to remove CA that is on my film? I believe it is Oracover.
I accidentally spilled some when installing my CA hinges. I have some CA debonder, but thought it might eat the color off.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2020, 08:02 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
Is there a way to remove CA that is on my film? I believe it is Oracover.
I accidentally spilled some when installing my CA hinges. I have some CA debonder, but thought it might eat the color off.
Put some on the bottom someplace, wait for a while and see what it does, I have used acetone on Monokote for years with no ill effect.

Bob
Oct 17, 2020, 09:34 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Orakote is pretty resistant to chemicals. I use lacquer thinner to clean the covering glue off the plane when the build is done, so it's pretty tough material.

I'm not a great builder and I usually spill a little somewhere. I use Golden West Super Solvent and it rips CA off like magic. Tower sells it as "hot stuff solvent," but you can get it at wood working stores and even Amazon.

I've also tried acetone, which works, but not nearly as well. There's a lot of acetone in nail polish remover, so you can try that if you are in a pinch.
Oct 17, 2020, 09:49 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
The colour is on the inside, so as long as you stay away from seams the de-bonder will not affect the covering.
Oct 17, 2020, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Great advice guys... Thanks much. I will report back when I decide which route to take.
Oct 17, 2020, 06:06 PM
I have used debonder with no problems. It is slow and can use more than one application.
Oct 17, 2020, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
I used the debonder... it did take a couple of applications, and then I cleaned off the residue with denatured alcohol. Thanks again.
Oct 17, 2020, 10:39 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
I've used acetone, debonder and GoofOff. They all work, but debonder works the fastest. I squirt them on a paper towel and wipe onto the glue.
That allows more control than squirting it on directly - after all, the glue got there by poor control when squirting it on the joint.

- Roger

Quick Reply