Oct 16, 2020, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Slow Stick from Aloft hobbies

Just a simple question. Has anyone tried the GWS Slow Stick for a beginner? Thank you. GWS https://alofthobbies.com/slow-stick.html
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2020, 02:43 PM
B for Bruce
Way back before 2.4Ghz was a thing GWS sold these same models with a geared brushed motor. I bought one as an introduction to smaller size electrics with the thought that I'd see how it flew and move the motor over to a balsa built model at some point.

I found that the low amount of dihedral caused the rudder to be very slow to roll the model into turns. I went online and found a site detailing modifications that were popular at the time. One of them was to curl the wings upward to increase the dihedral and get a more positive response to the rudder. I can't find anything at the moment. And consider that the web sites detailing this stuff were around at the time around 2000. So 20'ish years ago.

It's a pretty simple mod though. You need to play with taping the thread (tougher button thread) from wing tip to wing tip at roughly the 40% chord point so it doesn't cause any washin or washout warping. Just an upward curl that raises the wing tips around 2 inches. The result was superb. The model was responsive to rudder but not at all touchy at the speeds that these models usually fly. The new rudder response was far more in harmony with the elevator response.

But this did not make the model twitchy at all. If YOU are the new pilot I'd still suggest someone help you out or that you pick up a receiver that has SAFE or something similar. Or perhaps you could work up to the flying by test gliding and power flying at very low throttle over a field with tall soft grass. The only thing is that if you fly with power to chop the throttle just before it enters the grass regardless of it being a nice arrival or if it's a bad turn into an unavoidable "arrival". You need to do this so you don't burn out the ESC or motor.

Basically I'm suggesting a series of unpowered then low power "test glides" where you can get a feel for the controls at lower altitudes over a soft surface (the tall grass) to avoid damage until you get a feel for the controls. Hopefully you can find a field like this where the owner would allow you to try the model out.

A similarly modified "curved wing" with SAFE or similar should be a really nice beginner model.
Oct 16, 2020, 02:49 PM
Thread OP

thanks

Thanks Bruce for the reply. Just doin' a whole lot of research before I take steps forward.
Oct 16, 2020, 03:11 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerv8
Just a simple question. Has anyone tried the GWS Slow Stick for a beginner? Thank you. GWS https://alofthobbies.com/slow-stick.html
The Slow Stick is excellent for a beginner ! The only negative is : it doesn't protect the motor/prop if crashed nose first .

If you get a Slow Stick :

1) Secure the servo tray so it can't slide back-and-forth on the fuselage stick , or the rudder & elevator will constantly keep going out of trim .

2) The wing has a lot of positive incidence , so be very gentle when increasing the throttle ..... or it will do an immediate loop . There are two other solutions , install the motor with down thrust ..... or reduce the positive incidence by raising the trailing edge of the wing where it sits on the rear wing support .
Oct 16, 2020, 03:17 PM
A man with too many toys
I had an airplane like that a few years back. It flew will if it was dead calm but it was so light that it could not handle anything over 5 MPH. Because of that I didn't fly it very often.
Oct 16, 2020, 03:21 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
If you are considering getting a kit for learning to fly RC , the kit I recommend most often is the EzFly . The EzFly is made out of very tough EPP foam , and the motor/prop are on top behind the wing ..... so they are protected if crashed nose first . The EzFly kit is available from the same place as the electronics list I recommended in your other thread , and the EzFly uses those same electronics .
http://fancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.co...Kit_p_105.html

Here is one of my EzFlys flying :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
Oct 16, 2020, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
BorC I just downloaded the instructions for Old Fogey 60 along with all the photos and notes under the photos. I downloaded it as a pdf... as a side note I'm having trouble getting on to the fancy foam website. Every time I try it says. (This page isnít workingfancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.com redirected you too many times. It has something to do with cookies I think but I've deleted them and still does it...) I'm no computer genius.
I tried clearing your cookies.) I've tried everything, even googled the problem and still no luck. I was lucky enough to get on two days ago to get on and saw the planes you were talking about though. Really in the ballpark for me. Question... could you please direct me to a list of electronics that I need. There's so much out there it's really confusing. Too much to choose from with my limited knowledge at this time. I now understand that my older Fatuba Attack 4 7.2 will only work with the receiver in my bigger gas plane I'm working on that I haven't flown EVER yet... but I want to try to construct Fogey and I could really use a list of everything I need from servos and everything else.. In addition I'll probably be needing a 2.5 somewhat inexpensive 6 channel transmitter that I can use for Old Fogey and the next few planes.... this is a real journey, a lot to learn and thanks to the forum because I'd be totally lost without you guys...joe
Oct 16, 2020, 05:38 PM
I used a Slow Stick and an E-flite Ascent to take a lot of photos in the way back. Cameras are soooo much nicer now!

Andy
Oct 16, 2020, 05:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
BorC I just downloaded the instructions for Old Fogey 60 along with all the photos and notes under the photos. I downloaded it as a pdf... as a side note I'm having trouble getting on to the fancy foam website. Every time I try it says. (This page isnít workingfancyfoam-com.3dcartstores.com redirected you too many times. It has something to do with cookies I think but I've deleted them and still does it...) I'm no computer genius.
I tried clearing your cookies.) I've tried everything, even googled the problem and still no luck. I was lucky enough to get on two days ago to get on and saw the planes you were talking about though. Really in the ballpark for me. Question... could you please direct me to a list of electronics that I need. There's so much out there it's really confusing. Too much to choose from with my limited knowledge at this time. I now understand that my older Fatuba Attack 4 7.2 will only work with the receiver in my bigger gas plane I'm working on that I haven't flown EVER yet... but I want to try to construct Fogey and I could really use a list of everything I need from servos and everything else.. In addition I'll probably be needing a 2.5 somewhat inexpensive 6 channel transmitter that I can use for Old Fogey and the next few planes.... this is a real journey, a lot to learn and thanks to the forum because I'd be totally lost without you guys...joe
The 60" Old Fogey-ish is way bigger than the 40" Old Fogey-ish , I recommend building the 40" ..... not the 60" for the very first time flying RC .

To reach the Fancy Foam website , try a Google search for : "Fancy Foam RC airplanes" . If that doesn't work , try another computer or another browser . If that doesn't work , let me know and I have one more possible solution .

Here is a very simple inexpensive transmitter/receiver you can use :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...en_us_products
Oct 16, 2020, 06:37 PM
Just here to have fun with RC
The GWS Slow Stick is not a good plane for beginners. .

It also does not have the bad tendencies cited in some of these posts.

I flew one of mine today in the conditions shown in the attached picture.

This plane is for the experienced flyer who appreciates the finer points of the design.
Last edited by Rhea; Oct 17, 2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: It was suggested that I should
Oct 16, 2020, 07:29 PM
Sokol
Quote:

the first plane that I actually flew, and I mean flew all the prescribed time until I decided to land , was the GWS micro slow stick, I am very fond of it :
(I missed the chance to actually fly the larger GWS Slow stick ) .

https://flic.kr/p/fMkipx

https://flic.kr/p/hcLGdQ
Latest blog entry: Mini Moa - Franken glider
Oct 16, 2020, 11:02 PM
Thread OP

Just purchased the transmitter you suggested...

Just bought the transmitter about an hour ago. I was really surprised of the price! Very cool. Thanks! I'm taking your advice and goin' for the small Old Fogey like you suggested.... Hope I'm not asking too much but (smiling here) you know I'm gonna need your advice on all the other electronic stuff like
(motor, servos, etc ) and really don't what I'm doing so. I guess you've become my consultant :-) believe me it's very much appreciated....
Oct 16, 2020, 11:08 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Just bought the transmitter about an hour ago. I was really surprised of the price! Very cool. Thanks! I'm taking your advice and goin' for the small Old Fogey like you suggested.... Hope I'm not asking too much but (smiling here) you know I'm gonna need your advice on all the other electronic stuff like
(motor, servos, etc ) and really don't what I'm doing so. I guess you've become my consultant :-) believe me it's very much appreciated....
Were you able to access Fancy Foam for the other electronics ? If not , there is another online vendor that has similar inexpensive electronics .
Oct 17, 2020, 07:25 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
The GWS was my first plane when I got into RC after I retired. I think is was a great trainer. I'd plan to take off and fly straight ahead from a nice surface, feeding in throttle slowly with elevator set at low rates, and see what it wants to do after it lifts off. I did a bunch of glides and landings. Then I added a 90 degree turn. And finally, I learned to turn back and fly toward myself.

It was a joy to fly once I figured that out. I still remember those simple flights, and how slowly and gracefully it could fly. I went though several. The worst damage was when my son shanked a golf ball through a wing and destroyed it. I removed half the dihedral from one SS, and turned the aileron cut outs to actual ailerons with servos hot glued to the bottom of the wing. That was my favorite. Despite naysayers, I thought it flew great, I still have it, and flew it last year in my small field at home, a graceful flyer. I have another one with home made floats.

Inexpensive, very slow flyer that gives a new pilot time to think. Just set it up right, use fairly low rates, put the rudder on the aileron stick.
Oct 17, 2020, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
The GWS Slow Stick is not a good plane for beginners.
And yet it was perfect for several people I know. In fact, one guy who had never kept a trainer in the air for more than 30 seconds in the past flew the battery out on his first try with it after I took off for him. He just flew lazy laps over the runway, time and time again, at about 20' altitude.

Andy

Quick Reply