Georgia Man Arrested for Shooting Down Utility Company Drone

This is more of a public service announcement, but don't shoot down drones. It's a federal offense. A man in Georgia was recently arrested for allegedly shooting down a utility drone.

Splash

Don't Shoot Drones!

This is more of a public service announcement, but don't shoot down drones. It's a federal offense. A man in Georgia was recently arrested for allegedly shooting down a utility drone. He has been charged with criminal damage to property in the second degree and reckless conduct.

From what I understand a drone crew for Georgia Transmission Corporation was operating nearby, but not over (like that even matters) the property of Edward Neil Pope. The crew had informed Edward of the operation prior to flying. During the flight, the drone was shot and damaged causing an emergency landing. A report was made to the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office as well as the FAA.

Source - Fox 5 Atlanta

The bottom line here is don't shoot down drones. It's a tough lesson for Edward after the fact, but hopefully people will learn from this and be educated by it.

Oct 16, 2020, 03:03 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
"resistance is futile" "you will be assimilated"

Oct 16, 2020, 07:33 PM
Broke college student & nerd
Bruh, if he was told they were flying nearby then why did he shoot it...
Oct 16, 2020, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor95
Look at the man. Do you see the next Noble prize winner?
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Oct 16, 2020, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor95
Just spit balling but, maybe that's why he shot it. Tell a man you're flying he'll shoot you down don't tell him and he sits inside watching judge Judy.
Oct 16, 2020, 09:55 PM
Pics or it didn't happen...
Oct 16, 2020, 10:52 PM
rrg
rrg
Quote:
Originally Posted by radfordc
Look at the man. Do you see the next Noble prize winner?
Man I was thinking the same thing!
Oct 16, 2020, 10:56 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotAndy1994
Pics or it didn't happen...
Where's the like button?
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Oct 17, 2020, 01:21 AM
Fire Marshall Bill
Nor a Nobel winner for that matter
Oct 17, 2020, 07:19 AM
Like my mamma would say ...

"you can't buy that kind of stupid...you are born with it".
Oct 17, 2020, 08:22 AM
FG
FG
Ya, and you can't fix stupid. lol
Oct 17, 2020, 08:22 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
PLEASE FAA...Hit this guy with the crime committed. He shot a aircraft..he deserves to be brought up on those charges...and unfortunately for him, to be made the example of and penalized as such. A precedent must be set to stop such behavior and inform the "people" that such actions have ramifications and stiff ones at that! This not only needs or warrants national media coverage, it demands it... IMHO.

Far too many times I have heard when flying for pleasure or venture, If you fly that over "My" property I will shoot that dang thing! When I explain the laws and punishments, they scoff. This needs to be known to the public as serious and "our" rights need to be established to the community at large.

Where is Bruce on this one! He is going to have a heyday on this atrocity! IF anyone can get the attention this story needs...I vote Bruce...I still think I will write him in as presidential candidate this year
Last edited by Repaid1; Oct 17, 2020 at 08:35 AM.
Oct 17, 2020, 09:38 AM
OMG, a gun happy idiot! Discharging a gun, UP towards a drone, is dangerously stupid, not to mention the obvious damage caused, etc.

I hired a fella to do an aerial survey of my 5 acre property with his professional HD drone. My toothless, redneck hillbilly neighbor threatened me that if seen again, he too would break out his guns and shoot down the drone, LOL

The law here, in Colorado anyway, is that the skies above 400 ft, AGL, are not owned by the land owner below (we were operating well above 400 ft, most of the time).

Fortunately, this particular idiot neighbor near me sold and moved to the mountains, where he belongs, to the delight of many around here. Amazing!
Oct 17, 2020, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
PLEASE FAA...Hit this guy with the crime committed. He shot a aircraft..he deserves to be brought up on those charges...and unfortunately for him, to be made the example of and penalized as such. A precedent must be set to stop such behavior and inform the "people" that such actions have ramifications and stiff ones at that! This not only needs or warrants national media coverage, it demands it... IMHO.

Far too many times I have heard when flying for pleasure or venture, If you fly that over "My" property I will shoot that dang thing! When I explain the laws and punishments, they scoff. This needs to be known to the public as serious and "our" rights need to be established to the community at large.

Where is Bruce on this one! He is going to have a heyday on this atrocity! IF anyone can get the attention this story needs...I vote Bruce...I still think I will write him in as presidential candidate this year
OK ... you are just a little too emotionally attached to this end of the hobby. Wanting him incarcerated for shooting at a model aircraft is unnecessary. While I agree he needs to be fined and fined heavily and put on probation this is not the same as shooting at an occupied GA or Commercial aircraft.

Be careful of what you ask for as once the heavy hammer comes down on one end of the bar it soon rebounds to the other end. You as a pilot are on the other end and if your "aircraft" were to cause harm, injury, death, or property loss you could very well be hammered just as hard.

This guy is a dumb-ass, plain and simple but his actions do not warrant being put in jail, his family destroyed or job loss. Rest assured that by the time he pays court costs, attorney fees, fines, restitution he will be out probably no less than 15,000 dollars. That kind of financial loss is a strong lesson for anyone that reads of the situation.
Oct 17, 2020, 12:13 PM
I just want to go fly!
Where did the bullet come back down? That’s the scary part too. Unless it’s a shotgun with bird shot it’s pretty dangerous for others far away. Idiot.

Quick Reply