Oct 15, 2020, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

flight modes explained to me...

just bought my first radio. the dx6e.. ive been using the dxe which came with my aeroscout. this is alot to take in and learn from this new radio. i understand hi-lo rates but dont understand the different flight modes. how are they different from hi-lo rates ? ive googled it but it would help if it was explained in a more simpler way. what are they used for ? is it to assign the different stick functions like moving the throttle from left to right etc. ?do i even need to use it ?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2020, 11:26 AM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Try asking in the radio area
Latest blog entry: Compulsory Reading!!
Oct 15, 2020, 11:36 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sandwich
just bought my first radio. the dx6e.. ive been using the dxe which came with my aeroscout. this is alot to take in and learn from this new radio. i understand hi-lo rates but dont understand the different flight modes. how are they different from hi-lo rates ? ive googled it but it would help if it was explained in a more simpler way. what are they used for ? is it to assign the different stick functions like moving the throttle from left to right etc. ?do i even need to use it ?
Are you asking about transmitter stick modes ? If you are used to mode 2 , just stick with that .
Oct 15, 2020, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
ok ...i didnt know there was a radio section.sorry
Oct 15, 2020, 02:39 PM
RC transmitter manuals and instructions included with receivers, speed controls and servos are not written in language intended for young beginners. I think that Spectrum generally does a better job than others on this. I think that some young beginners, with limited reading and comprehension skills can have a lot of trouble with binding, throttle calibration, use of transmitter on-screen model set-up menus, and such things as mixes, offsets, switch assignment and other items. I am 81 years old and long time RC'er. I struggled with how to set-up 3-position flaps on my Hitec Aurora 9 system. You probably need to find a "mentor" to guide you through DX6e procedures. Fortunately, the DX6e is a popular system and many RC'ers at the field can help you . The Spectrum support people can walk you through the procedures too. You can get a lot of useful advice on the Radios forum too.

BTW: I just skimmed through the DX6e manual and think that there is much material that is not pertinent to simply setting up a model. Knowing what to ignore must be confusing. One clarification, you need to select a "wing type" , choosing number of ailerons and flaps( actually number of aileron and flap servos).
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 15, 2020 at 03:25 PM.
Oct 17, 2020, 03:19 AM
Hi there

I have had the same issues with my new DXe tranny. I am a seasoned flyer from last decaded so my first ever 'wifi' transmitter. The intructions are utter shite - lol.

Anyway - I have worked out the flight modes are - the ability to have another mode for the same aircraft. So you could have an ASW28 with a thermal set up for flat field and you could have the same model on anothe rflight mode that is now set up for slope soaring. So two fligt modes for the same model memory. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys...?
Oct 17, 2020, 07:51 AM
Thread OP
yeah....im learning although slowly.youtube and you guys more than the manual.btw,i reposted this topic under radio section.
Oct 17, 2020, 02:57 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
. One clarification, you need to select a "wing type" , choosing number of ailerons and flaps( actually number of aileron and flap servos).
Actually, number of aileron and flap channels used.

A Y-cable feeds two servos off one channel. So a setup with two aileron servos and two flap servos, but using Y-cables for both aileron and flap is 1 Aileron, 1 Flap.
Oct 17, 2020, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sandwich
A -radio-"flight mode" is used to select a state or condition where there is more than one thing changing at the same time by using only one switch.

It can be as simple as this:

Flaps up/ take off/ down. You have a switch assigned to operate these flaps. (this is not a -radio-flight mode yet, just an aircraft configuration change)

Now if you assign that same switch to "operate" the flight modes in the radio, you can now make multiple things happen: You can "name" the various flightmode conditions, so you'll see on screen displayed e.g. FLAPS UP FLAPS HALF FLAPS FULL (or what ever you want to be displayed (gear up down/ high speed/3D show off/ throttle cut/ ludacrous/... )when that certain state is active).

You can have separate trim settings for each flightmode. (set this option in the trim menu) This is especially handy in the above example of flaps, where the aircraft needs a retrim when the flaps are not in up. (yes you can have the elevator compensation in the flap menu, but that is only for pitch, and you cannot change the flap compensation "on the fly" with your trim click lever)

And you can have the flightmode switch be the controlling selector for all other functions that you want or envision.

Say you have a plane, that can fly extremely fast so you want small control deflections when going high speed but big ones for takeoff and landing. You program a flightmode called "high speed" and one (or more) called "normal/slow/landing/...) You then make a set of expo and rates that will work for that high speed, and you let the controlling switch for expo/rate be the same switch as you programmed for the Flight mode. Same for the rates and expos you will use on the other modes. (Replace High speed for 3D, and you get where this is handy) Again the different trim sets for each flight mode come in very handy here as well, for high speed you would most likely need some down trim on pitch and maybe some uptrim when you are flying slow and or with flaps down....)

Depending on your radio used the possibilities and flexibility are endless. (Like with the combo switch function on the iX radios you can have -AND- -OR- restrictions so you can limit certain things too from happening in a certain FM )
Oct 18, 2020, 08:48 AM
Addicted flyer, love warbirds
MartinT above explained this feature of “FlightMode” better than anyone else so far...

I am new as well and have not delved into the FlightMode arena, but, I believe it allows the pilot the ability to have an airplane trimmed for high speed with different rates and another mode such as landing for slow speed with different rates and trim etc. it makes flying a little easier by just flipping a switch which gets you into that mode... I’ve heard of pilots setting up three different modes: takeoff, cruise, landing. I have no idea how they do this, but I am going to learn because I think this all makes sense once you figure it out.

Because of Covid, nobody wants to teach up close and help. I have to learn by reading and watching YouTube videos which for me is not the best way. I like to work with people that actually know how this all works, not by watching videos....

Quick Reply