Jan 17, 2006, 07:02 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss248
Here's some pics of the Extra Runt 330/28 34 grams ready to assemble. I should be well below 6 oz...I hope..

Boss
Looks good Boss. What motor/battery are you going with?

Ben
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2006, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Rod
Looks good Boss. What motor/battery are you going with?

Ben
Ha Bro...whats shakin..?? I have a 20mm cdrom 15 turn with strongmotorsrc curved magnets and usually use an 8/4 HD and 2s Dualsky 620's.

Boss
Jan 17, 2006, 10:31 PM
founder of the SSP
I had to get a new printer and didn't think to check the scale. I ended up with a 34 1/2 " ws. I wanted to run one of the esskay 400xt motors I had on it. After giving it some thought I decided to build it with FFF and see how the combo works out. Everything is cut and I've already started building. It should be finished tomorrow. Maybe the winds will drop long enough for a maiden this weekend. I don't plan to put the gear on this one.
Jan 17, 2006, 10:55 PM
Ok Boss now don't laugh but here is Extra 330 #2. Doesn't look as nice as my first one but then again the weight so far is 4.3oz. My gear is basically going to be the same.
HS55 for aileron
BlueBirg 6 grams servos for the rudder and elevator
CoolEsc 10 amp esc
Have the new Berg 4channel rx
Motor will either be a Custom Cdr Single with a 8x4 prop 9x5 with 2s lipo or go back to the BP 2410-09Y with GWS 10x6 prop.
Lipo will be either Vampower 1050 3s or EP 3s 1300 12c lipo
I have 8 oz to play with as I'm trying to keep this one under 12 ounces. I ordered the landing gear that you and Ben-Rod told me about so that will add a little weight but I've heard the landing gear actually helps how it flies. I'll let you know by the weekend as the winds up here are going to be in that way all week.
Jan 17, 2006, 11:00 PM
bass;

i don't think the cdr single will get it done on this size plane, but the bp should be fine.

Bob
Jan 17, 2006, 11:08 PM
Bob the BP motor works great on this plane. Been using it for awhile now. Long flight times and great power out of hover. Really thinking about using the Custom CDR on my Amos Moses. It pulls less than 11 amps and makes right at 19 oz of thrust.
Jan 17, 2006, 11:35 PM
Who me laugh..?? of course not.. I got more class than that at 4.3 as it sits ready for radio stuff is not bad at all. The cdrom pulling 11 amps and 19oz. of thrust..hmmm..might work but I would have to see it to believe it.

Steve...the 400xt will work great on the 34" wing..stick it on there and get some flights logged up. I have the Runt all glued up and nearly ready to stuff.
Boss
Jan 18, 2006, 12:12 AM
Oops I was quoting the wrong test results. I was going by Dr. Kiwi's numbers on the motor. There seem to be two different sets of numbers. Looks like the single will put out 15-16 oz of thrust. Here's the link
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...hmentid=615962
Jan 19, 2006, 05:12 AM

Scale back to 75%?

Hi guys,

I want this one to try my first scratch build plane, after my Flatana Great Planes died..

So I have all the electronic equipment, including a flyware rex 220 engine, and 900 mah 3 cell. Turning a 9x4.7

I think this engine will not 3d the original plane, so I lett it plot at 75% at the local copy shop.

Has some of you did this before ? Can I still build it at 6mm?

SO THE QUESTIONS ARE:
"Can I scale it back to 75% and still fly ok?"
"Can I use 6mm for it or better 3mm or combo ?"
"what will be the weight off the plane in 3 or 6 mm, without equipm.?"

Thanks,

Jappie911
Jan 19, 2006, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jappie911
Hi guys,

I want this one to try my first scratch build plane, after my Flatana Great Planes died..

So I have all the electronic equipment, including a flyware rex 220 engine, and 900 mah 3 cell. Turning a 9x4.7

I think this engine will not 3d the original plane, so I lett it plot at 75% at the local copy shop.

Has some of you did this before ? Can I still build it at 6mm?

SO THE QUESTIONS ARE:
"Can I scale it back to 75% and still fly ok?"
"Can I use 6mm for it or better 3mm or combo ?"
"what will be the weight off the plane in 3 or 6 mm, without equipm.?"

Thanks,

Jappie911
wow...lot's of questions bit I can answer them for you. Yes..at 75% it will fly great and yes you can use the 6mm fan fold foam or Depron.
I don't know anything about the motor and esc setup so I am going to say yes to the power plant but I need more info on the esc and motor.
You can use 3mm for thoe entire plane if you wasmt but it requires quite a bit of carbin the be stiff enough. I can't help much on the possible projected weight..need more info on servos and Rx before I could guestimat any weight. Just build it and take some pics of the motor and servos and plane and then I can be of more help in the number dept.

Boss
Jan 19, 2006, 07:25 AM
Thanks for replying Boss!

My exact setup is;

Flyware rex 220 1300 motor, esc is a YGE12, batt is a graupner 700mah 3 cell.
Servo's nano size, and mini reciever.

I want to make it at 6mm for a bit less agille plane.

The main question was if the plane will be ok at 75% and 6mm's..

Greetings from Holland,

Jasper
Jan 19, 2006, 10:23 AM

Scaling and Cut lines

When you scale an existing plan to something else, be aware that the internal cut lines will no longer be the required 3mm/6mm/ or in the case
of Fan Fold .25 inches..You will need to adjust the cutouts for the material
you are using..I.E. make the cut lines for the material you are using. Same hold true for servos/radio's mounting stick ect..

It is eay to do..just take a ruler and mark in seveal places the width of your material and connect the lines..

Another way, in many of the inexpensive cad programs, you can import the
drawing, adjust the cut outs after you have used the scaling function.

Print and you are ready to go..

BobFlyer
Jan 19, 2006, 05:42 PM
3D nOOb...sort of...

Almost done...

Slowly but surely, I am getting the 95% (34" WS) one done. All I need is a power system and a receiver, and she will be ready to fly. I used the Foamy Factory graphics for the Yak from Tim H. Since that Yak is not out yet...I had to use the cool graphics on something. They work pretty well on this plane. The elevator is the only thing that did not work perfectly. I also took the canopy decals and sectioned them in sutch a way that it looks "right" for the Extra. Hopefully I will get it up in the air in the next few days.

-Jeff
Jan 19, 2006, 06:39 PM
That's a sweet looking 330 Jeff...when is the maiden flight..? I have the 28" Runt RTF..came in at 5.5oz...with 12-15oz of thrust it should be cool.

Boss

Quick Reply