Oct 13, 2020, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Traxxas Nitro Vee water cooling tubing

Trying to figure out the way the water cooling system operates in the stock Nitro Vee.

So the water pickup starts the flow to head. The water then exits the head and passes through a tube that has a T connector. One goes to the exhaust manifold to be let out. But the other tube off of this T connector goes to the muffler header. Here's where it gets weirder. From underneath the muffler header exits a tube that is connected to a nipple on the top of the prop shaft tube.

The rest is the normal tubing - tank to carb and muffler to tank for pressurizing

Can anyone please shed light on the T connector and the tube that goes to the muffler from that T, as well as the tube to the prop shaft?

At first I thought oil in exhaust is used to constantly lubricate the prop shaft, but then realized it's water in that tube!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2020, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
anyone?
Oct 17, 2020, 11:12 AM
GloBroz PowerLab
That’s a hokey mess!! If it were my boat, I’d plug one fitting from the exhaust (that leads back to the T leaving the other one connected to the fuel tank. I’d plug the fitting on the plastic muffler and get rid of that line with the T. You should only need the water pickup line to the head and from the head to an external discharge fitting. I see the lines being connected to the exhaust system being counterproductive as it would pressurize the cooling system and cause bubbles.
Oct 28, 2020, 12:52 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for replying. It might be a mess, but it seems that this is the original setup from the factory. Every Nitro Vee I've seen has this exact setup, so it's hard to believe it's a mod someone made. Besides, there are the extra nipples where these hoses connect - on the prop shaft tube and the exhaust header, so it must be correct. I just don't understand the logic.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:07 PM
RC boat Rock Star
You've got me! Yes, that is a mess.
I can see where one line from the bottom of the exhaust would feed used oil to the flex cable as OS does that with their .21 outboard. Why would the exit line T off to the header? That's never a good idea as it could allow water to feed back into the engine and you don't want that.
When any company that specializes in one thing like RC cars and trucks decides to try another market like boats sometimes things don't turn out for the best.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:40 PM
Thread OP
But this was a very popular/successful boat back in the day. And like I said this setup seems to be stock, as most if not all of them are rigged this way (except maybe the earlier version). Wow if no one knows anything about this in the forums, this will remain a mystery.
Oct 30, 2020, 11:05 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Popular and successful? That's questionable. The weight of the onboard starter and RTS system really killed the performance of it.
Oct 30, 2020, 05:59 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
I’d get rid of all of the unnecessary plumbing, the starter and return to shore system. Get the right kind of starter and put a better engine in it and look out!

Quick Reply