Oct 12, 2020, 05:35 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Universal Carrier Project

Hi
I've been thinking of this for ages and finally got started the other day , the idea is to build a British Universal Carrier (Bren Gun Carrier ) .
Firstly I'm modelling it in CAD and then many parts will be 3D printed and use as many stock transmission parts as possible , now i have an old Heng Long Tiger that I'll rip most of the electrics from and the gearbox's , its in 1/12th scale so the gearbox's will fit .
I want it to be quite nippy on its tracks so i may end up gearing it up slightly , this might mean the stock Heng Long RX/ESC will cook its power FET's but i may just piggy back extra FET's onto it if i can or it might mean an alternative electronic package .
This is where I am at the moment with the CAD model , still very early days and no detail as yet.

When I'm done I'll probably release it for free download .
One thing I could do with some help with is the tracks , i need some that are 25-30 mm wide , I've been looking at the Heng Long Panzer III / Stug Tracks but i cannot find their width anywhere so if anybody could measure theirs I'd really appreciate it .
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2020, 11:37 AM
Interesting
Oct 17, 2020, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
A few more details added .

Oct 18, 2020, 12:22 PM
Thread OP

Oct 21, 2020, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Started breaking it up into printable chunks .

Oct 22, 2020, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Loads of reworking on how to split it up into printable parts and how to assemble those parts .

Oct 25, 2020, 01:37 PM
Thread OP
Just made a rooky mistake I ordered the tracks off EBay but didn't look at the delivery time going to get to me 24th November ish
This is really going to hold me up , the only things I can do now before the tracks arrive are all the details and fittings , until they arrive I can't finalise anything else as I may need to make more space for them ! Oh well it is what it is .
Oct 26, 2020, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Well while i wait for the tracks i can still design all the Do-Dads , lights , towing brackets and a little thing on the front bulk head , I also did a fairly major redesign of the front end .

Oct 28, 2020, 05:02 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Nice! I'll be following since have been wanting to build one but in larger scale, 1/10 or 1/6.

So many options here with this iconic carrier.
Oct 28, 2020, 05:42 AM
Thread OP
The joy of 3d printing is its easy to scale up with the software so it could be any size you want if you can find track and transmission to fit .
A few more details for the rear , quite pleased with the oil can

Oct 28, 2020, 09:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill
Nice! I'll be following since have been wanting to build one but in larger scale, 1/10 or 1/6.

So many options here with this iconic carrier.
The options are a mixed blessing when scanning pictures to find design details , there a tons of details that vary between models , I'm sure I'll have elements in a combination that never existed , I probably should have gone for the very early "Bren Gun Carrier " as that was a well defined model rather than the later Universal Carrier that was made in various places with multiple roles.
Oct 28, 2020, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Started printing some of the detailed parts in resin and there are also some pictures of an early 1/24th scale test print of the hull , a lots changed since though .

Oct 29, 2020, 12:36 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Nice work!
Nov 03, 2020, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Found time for a little more detail , rear seating and some wood surround for the top edge on the rear , I also assembled the bits for the picture .

Nov 04, 2020, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
The tracks for the Universal carrier arrived today and I'm really pleased , I could not get measurements for them anywhere and I guessed at around 30mm and I'd designed for that as a Max and hoped I would not need to alter the design , as it turns out they are 25mm and that's great news as it gives me space and will look good as well .
The tracks are for a Panzer III .

Quick Reply