Oct 11, 2020, 11:37 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

OMP Hobby Bighorn (flap version)

As I got to the rx setup with this model you have alot of choices..normal setup with flaps and ailerons, flaperons, crow, split flaps and spoilers..its great! I couldnt figure out how to get the flaps to go the same direction if run on one channel..or flaperons to work correctly from separate channels. Ive had trouble with this before using a spektrum ar9350 9 channel rx and a dx6e. I run out of options quick using flight modes and all the normal channels. I had to cut using different flight modes and just set up a good as3x baseline and use channel 5 and 6 for flaps. Assigning the gear channel to flap also and in the rx software its programmed as 1 ail 1 flap. For the longest time i coudnt figure out how to get these flaps to work correctly because the servos are installed in different directions on the wing. I was so relieved to get the setup i wanted. Now i cant use spoilerons but the flaps can go up or down. I dont have enough channels on the tx to run separate ailerons but im happy to finally get it dialed in.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2020, 08:55 AM
i had the same problem because i wanted to use an ar636 spektrum rx with safe select. the easy solution is that i bought 17g servos from motion rc for 11 bucks apiece. 1 normal direction and 1 reversed and problem solved so you can use one channel for flaps and still have flaperons
Dec 05, 2020, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
On my flap version of the bighorn im using a spektrum ar9350 9 channel rx. I really wanted to have separate ailerons to have a crow setup but with my nx6 thats too many channels having to run 2 flaps on channel 5 and 6. The huge issue was i could not get the nx6 to let me change the channels to flaps so i copied the model straight from my old dx6e to a sd card and imported it to the nx6. Why could i not change on the channel config those channels to flaps i have no idea why but using the model setup from the sd card worked. Now i can also use the 7th channel on the nx6 for flight modes in aux 2. Its a win loose with that but im happy to have atleast some flight modes and flaps in the same direction without using a servo reversing cable. I could go and change it to flaps on a single channel and mess with crow settings but with the ar9350 all my attempts at getting flaperons or crow dont work the ailerons always end up going in different directions because of how the rx programming works. Ive got 2 bighorns one with flaps and one non flap. I loved the plane so much after i crashed the first flap version i had to get another. They were sold out of flap versions at the time so i settled for the non flap. Now i just ordered the green flap version and im definitely flying both to compare the way they fly.
Dec 05, 2020, 09:53 PM
Rabid Rabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbilstrom
On my flap version of the bighorn im using a spektrum ar9350 9 channel rx. I really wanted to have separate ailerons to have a crow setup but with my nx6 thats too many channels having to run 2 flaps on channel 5 and 6. The huge issue was i could not get the nx6 to let me change the channels to flaps so i copied the model straight from my old dx6e to a sd card and imported it to the nx6. Why could i not change on the channel config those channels to flaps i have no idea why but using the model setup from the sd card worked. Now i can also use the 7th channel on the nx6 for flight modes in aux 2. Its a win loose with that but im happy to have atleast some flight modes and flaps in the same direction without using a servo reversing cable. I could go and change it to flaps on a single channel and mess with crow settings but with the ar9350 all my attempts at getting flaperons or crow dont work the ailerons always end up going in different directions because of how the rx programming works. Ive got 2 bighorns one with flaps and one non flap. I loved the plane so much after i crashed the first flap version i had to get another. They were sold out of flap versions at the time so i settled for the non flap. Now i just ordered the green flap version and im definitely flying both to compare the way they fly.
I have both as well. I havenít assembled the non flap version yet though. Have you flown yours?
Dec 07, 2020, 02:50 AM
Thread OP

Bighorn flight today in perfect weather!

Today was perfect for a maiden of the bighorn..I definitely made extra sure the gyros were all the right way this time..I always think im gonna do a slow first run with just a little run up to get the tail up and get a feel for a any roll on takeoff but man it just climbed and away it went...now this plane will spiral down apon stall so watch it!! Dont be too comfy going slow and turn to sharp i was testing the stall and wow that about gave me a heart attack!! Not gonna do what i did last time and do stall turns down low.. It flies fast and ballooned with flaperons half down even after 15% down elevator..but after some adjustments and i did do differential when full flaps so im not over throwing the servos. Its very fun and very much capable of anything a 3d plane can do. Just watch the stall..its like a turbo timber with the wings chopped about 2 inches shorter. It stilll seems to land kinda fast even with half flaperons but i didnt really try full flaps. It seemed like it wasnt having much roll authority with the ailerons down ill have to fly some more and get used to it. I also have a ft. Freedom fox with way to much power and ive never tried the shorter wing tips they included for fast flight..its a bit too squirmy for me with weak landing gear for fast landings.
Dec 07, 2020, 02:59 AM
Thread OP

Tundra tires on bighorn

I forgot to mention the tundra wheels for 8$ will fit. I drilled out the hub and they go directly over the bighorn wheel axle.
Dec 07, 2020, 08:08 AM
Quote:
I forgot to mention the tundra wheels for 8$ will fit. I drilled out the hub and they go directly over the bighorn wheel axle.
Please provide a little more information on the wheels. What brand are they and where did you get them?

Thank you.
Dec 07, 2020, 12:04 PM
Fly 'm if you got 'm
Quote:
Did you need to cut the axle stud on the wheel hub any shorter or put any spacers on the axle?

Dec 07, 2020, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
I got them from Hobbyking website. The part number is 9499000212-0 Tundra V2 1400mm parts section and youll see the foam tires available. there alot cheaper than the eflite turbo timber wheels.
I snipped off some of the inner hub to make it narrower as it is too long for the axle to go all the way thru and bolt on so just a pair of cutters will do the trick. I found that the center hole was the same diameter as a 4mm file I just attached the file to the drill end and slowly bored out the hole. its close to the edge of the axle housing plastic but there is just enough of it to make the hole big enough to fit on the bighorns axles. I also added a small bit of rc car gear grease to the hub for smooth rolling. Its really worked great. i
Dec 07, 2020, 09:13 PM
Thread OP

Omp bighorn setups

Im impressed with the speed and power of this plane. Its probably not a good idea to run it on a 1500 100c 4s by CHNL but holy crap does it scream on that battery. I have set up 3 different rates and all with lots of expo. I tried flyin it without the admiral gyro on because i do have it set up for a switch on and off which is really cool but its so touchy with the gyro off I wasnt ready for how quick it rolls. I ended up setting 40% expo on just 80% rates for ailerons and thats about where i want it. Its such a cool plane today i flew and flew getting used to what it will do and how it reacts to certain inputs. I just fly very carefully and check everything before every flight. The first bighorn with flaps I had a small crash at the beach i went home and repaired it and went back to my local airport for another flight..as i took off and started flying all a sudden the right stick breaks on my dx6e and i could not move the stick down for up elevator. So random the spring snapped inside the gimbal and an adjustment screw was sticking up jamming the stick from moving down. I was so pissed at spektrum i wanted to call them and tell them "hey your trasmitter just broke after ive used like a million hours" ha ah that was rite I worn it out..its possible i flew so much this summer I wore out the transmitter stick. Not cool but its possible i guess. So the bighorn crashed in the mud by the bay and was really destroyed. Its very real flying the new bighorn in the same exact spot with the new NX6 but im faithful it wont break till this summer. Ill get a IX12 and wear that out too!!
All in all Id say the bighorn is my go-to plane for the day to day flying its robust and has good hinges and my tires are awesome. I dont have the new flap version here quite yet itll be here on thursday this week the 10th of DEC. Ive already setup the spektrum ar9350 rx using the old bighorns wings for checking the setup and programming it but one of the wings is totally smashed in on the front edge that meets up with the fuselage from the crash and the whole front of the fusalage is smashed. I took out the motor and ESC and installed that in my Eflite Maule M7. Its probaly too heavy for that motor and esc but it really flies great with that sunnysky motor. I wore out the old motor or it got sand in it from the beach it just started sounding rough and flight times were totally crap like 3 mins. Thats usually a sign the motor is shot when you go thru a battery like that. For the most part the old bighorn is repairable I would sell it to someone that needed a right wing assembly thats still in perfect shape and the rest is probably salvagable but the whole nose cowl is gone and some damage to the back half of the fuselage and left wing. It crashed pretty hard straight nose dive into the soft river bank as i made my way to it after the crash it was doing a strange Twitching and seizure like movements like it was dying..god i was so sad that happened. I blame that on Spektrum because of the gimbal stick breaking on me. I didnt like the red and blue color scheme much anyway i found it hard to orientate in low light. both my flap and non flap verions I have now are green. So far Im lovin the non flap version. It is truly a big boy plane for some serious maneuvers and air slicing flying for sure!!
Dec 07, 2020, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
yes the axle is small so I just drilled it out carefully to keep the hole centered. but its the type of plastic that wont crack when you cut it and drill it. I made the hole slightly bigger with drill bits that were just bigger than the hole then used a small round file to finish the bore so it would fit perfectly on the bighorn axle. I think the file size was 4mm its a standard size from the hardware store..its just ended up the perfect diameter for drilling out the hole. Youll have to snip off or sand off the inner part of the wheel hub with some really aggressive sand paper or just cut it with wire snips and sand it smooth. Ive found that putting some bandage tape around the tires keeps the finish from wearing off on pavement. They are foam under the rubber coating and it will wear off from gravel and pavement after time. They are great wheels for any park size stol plane. Heck ive even got the Grand tundra foam wheels on my FMS PA-18 piper cub 1900mm plane and they went directly on the landing gear of that model. The stock wheels were hard and Im glad i got the wheels changed out its made it a whole different plane with those softer wheels.
Dec 07, 2020, 11:02 PM
Fly 'm if you got 'm
I think the stock tires are too hard so I'm looking forward to getting the Tundra tires on mine. I also don't like that the hole in the hub of the stock wheels is too big and they rattle when the plane is rolling.
If the hole in the Tundra hubs can be made to fit the axle snugly I will be very happy.

EDIT: After placing the order for the wheels from HK and waiting several days for confirmation I have finally been notified that they actually don't have them in the US warehouse and there is no ETA for them. They are available from Global and surprisingly the shipping cost is less from there.
Last edited by MrEFlyer; Dec 11, 2020 at 02:31 PM. Reason: See EDIT

Quick Reply