May 26, 2005, 04:14 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKACully
Gene the Motor Guru,

I rewound my GB with 7T of 20 ga. and it runs fine on 2s but stutters on 3s, do you have any clue? I broke down and bought some Radio Shack wire but it only provides 20, 26 and 30 ga. Do you know of a 26 ga. combo that would work well on the BA with either 2S or 3S.

Cully
What battery are you running that with? How are your magnets set up (NSNSNS or NNSSNNSS)? Also what prop and ESC are you using? I am curious so that I can compare to the one I am building.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2005, 06:25 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
So many power choices ...we need a chart , not a detailed thingie' but a simple listing of winds/wire and props and batteries , something we can understand without an engineering degree....has anyone really found a combination that they like ??? I kind of favor the DCM-189 dd for it's simplicity(and cost)... flies great for that power system
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 26, 2005, 06:48 AM
Crash Master
Somewhere Tolliday has a basic chart... I'll have to check it sometime and maybe add some...
May 26, 2005, 07:37 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Gene , the chart that was published in QF was pretty good , but very generalized....His new article is interesting too ... gearing these beasties ... just came in yesterday ...
The thing that confuses me is the vast array of prop sizes , turns, wire guage ....all seeming to be excellent for a certain application ...but which ones??? All those numbers give me a headache !!! there has to be a practical way we can share this info ... I hope ....
first I had 26 awg, then 24awg, now I gotta' find 20awg (and learn how to use the enamelled wire , not the cool tough newbie stuff )
May 26, 2005, 07:58 AM
Crash Master
20 gauge! Yikes!

I have yet to get a good 22 gauge working! I picked up some 23 gauge yesterday...

You hit on the reason I never bought a commercial made outrunner before... They seem to be setup for a 'fixed' application... It's like not having any flexibility on the gear ratios... gets boring. Let's face it, with the DCM-189 / C gearing, we were starting to get stuck in a rut of a certain size airplane... Going to the 2S gearing or the D gearing or even direct drive, opened up the opportunities some... the same is true for winding these motors.

With the CDR motors, we can't get to the D gearing, but with some recent kits, like the Komodo, we can get there and beyond!

The other thing is, we can't just say these are 50 or 75 or 100 watt motors. They are variable, based on the turns/speed we run them at. Too many variables just confuses the experimenter... can't ever make a decision... makes you sympathize with the Mormons Imagine going through a catalog of potential wives, and having to pick just 1... Sure we do it, but then we start thinking... what if???

That's why the first step is to build a motor, and see what you like and don't like about it's performance. Then you can build a new one with a 'tweaked' winding to better suit the target... Soon enough, you have a bunch of motors laying around (much like a bunch of gears) to try next... And, at a darn reasonable investment!

I'll see what I can come up with sor a guidline spreadsheet.
May 26, 2005, 09:59 AM
Can't build them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Not sure why it'd stutter on 3s, unless the battery can't handle the low resistance.

You should be able to get 10 turns of doubled 26 on there. I really like the 10t setup...

A 20t delta connected 26g would be about the same as a 12t 24g, and you could run around a 6x3 on 3s...
Thanks for the help. I think I'll try my hand at double 26 for 10T. I've never tried doubled 26 but I'll only learn by trying.

Cully
May 26, 2005, 10:30 PM
Can't build them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
Somewhere Tolliday has a basic chart... I'll have to check it sometime and maybe add some...
Here's a link to Tolliday's basic chart passed to me by the Galloping Gimp.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=489

ully
May 26, 2005, 10:34 PM
Can't build them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
What battery are you running that with? How are your magnets set up (NSNSNS or NNSSNNSS)? Also what prop and ESC are you using? I am curious so that I can compare to the one I am building.
1. TP 860 3S

2. APC 643

3. CC-10

Cully
May 26, 2005, 10:44 PM
Can't build them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
The thing that confuses me is the vast array of prop sizes , turns, wire guage ....all seeming to be excellent for a certain application ...but which ones??? All those numbers give me a headache !!! there has to be a practical way we can share this info ... I hope ....
first I had 26 awg, then 24awg, now I gotta' find 20awg (and learn how to use the enamelled wire , not the cool tough newbie stuff )
Amen on the confusion of trying to sort it all out. My first wind with 20 ga. was 10T. It can be done but I pulled too hard and ended up shorting two phases together. That is how I ended up with the relative easy 7T. You must be careful when using plan old emameled wire as it can short pretty easy if abused. If my stator wasn't so well insulated, I probably would have shorted to it also. Even at 7T it gets so tight you need to thread it down through a gap to get the last few winds on. When I looked at the finished stator, the first was beautiful and went down hill from there. I guess cramping hands didn't help alot.

Cully
May 26, 2005, 11:30 PM
Crash Master
Here's some data from the motors I'm currently flying. I've built several of the good ones (10T & 15T). I tried a lot of props, but these should be safe limits on the amps. Be careful if you run them WOT for long, check the temps!

You can kind of extrapolate some data points between these...
May 27, 2005, 06:40 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Thanks for the info and words of wisdom .... I think all we really want is a cheap simple motor that will take our Blue Albacorde to the stratosphere in about 3 seconds.....hahahaha we'll find it !!!!!!
May 27, 2005, 07:44 AM
Crash Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Thanks for the info and words of wisdom .... I think all we really want is a cheap simple motor that will take our Blue Albacorde to the stratosphere in about 3 seconds.....hahahaha we'll find it !!!!!!
That would be the 10t/22g / 5043 on 3s

That's what takes my '29 straight up in a rolling moonshot And low-fast passes at 45-50 or so!
May 27, 2005, 04:37 PM
I'm dangerously carefree
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
So many power choices ...we need a chart , not a detailed thingie' but a simple listing of winds/wire and props and batteries , something we can understand without an engineering degree....has anyone really found a combination that they like ??? I kind of favor the DCM-189 dd for it's simplicity(and cost)... flies great for that power system
Gobrushless.com has a chart. Here it is, the gobrushless database
http://www.gobrushless.com/testing/m...st_results.php
May 27, 2005, 06:38 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
OK!!! I'm writing all this down !!!! just finished a 13T 24awg double GBx with the firewall mount screwed to a GWS gearbox.... supposed to be a lotta' watts ??? Back to some hot singles....stators that is ...back to the city for 22awg .... I'm getting a collection ,now ...
Tomorrow morning is test flying ...weather has been dead calm (and hot and humid ) till 09:00... Dawn Patrol !!!!
May 31, 2005, 06:02 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
out of all the direct drive jets we've built lately the BA still is the best flying .... Stringflys SU-27 is a close second , but not nearly as fast as the BA....

Quick Reply