"STS" Seaplane - RC Groups
May 19, 2005, 02:53 PM
In Thrust We Trust

"STS" Seaplane

The “ST” series of planes continues with the latest project.

"STS" Seaplane/Airplane, full fuselage, with removable floats and landing gear. 44 in wing span, GWS350 D gear w/10in prop, 1320 ma 3cell. Beautiful flyer.
This plane is for intermediate builders who have already built a “STC” type foamie before and wish to try their hand at a full fuselage or seaplane next. No deciding which to build first as you can have both with this design. Simple, cheap, and fun to build are the main criteria for this plane. Not to mention that it’s a blast to fly!
Here is a short clip of its maiden: www.ozonefoam.com/stsc.wmv 3.3megs.

And a video of the same water flight with a landing gear maiden flight thrown in:
www.ozonefoam.com/stsshort.wmv 5.6 megs.

And a very long one with great music showing the whole water maiden flight with lots of touch and goes: www.ozonefoam.com/stslong.wmv 22.4 megs.

The website is sometimes slow with viewers, so check back often.

For a short while, I will make available the plans and build guide. I just ask that you do not use them for commercial purposes or duplicate and reproduce them. They are for your use only, so go have fun!

Plans in pdf- www.ozonefoam.com/sts.pdf
1 Page Plans- www.ozonefoam.com/sts1.pdf
Build Guide- www.ozonefoam.com/stsbg.pdf

Please understand that I only recently taught myself CAD so that these plans are being refined and changed daily as I learn more. Let me know of any problems that you find.

“STC” link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...11#post3776699

Happy Flying!
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2005, 06:10 PM
WD, are we having fun yet?
May 20, 2005, 06:36 AM
In Thrust We Trust

Fun now.

Was not too sure last week.... Lots of work building, rebuilding, testing, writing and rewriting CAD, shooting photos and writing copy, coordinating video shoots, editing video shoots, loading content on to websites, learning new software, etc., not mention the frustration of mistakes, miscalculations and redo's. When you are trying to have a life too, this can be time consuming to post this stuff, let alone build for yourself. But when all is said and done, it is fun! So please build one and enjoy the end result.
May 21, 2005, 06:26 AM
Since I work with fan fold insulation quite a bit I do intend to build that STS this winter when I have a bit more time. My problem is that the plans didn't come through for me (just a strip down the center 1/3) the other 2/3 outsides are black. The build guide came through just fine so I may just have to wag the plans a bit. Looks like a pretty good project. Oh and thanks. The video is very nice also - great job as usual.
May 21, 2005, 09:37 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Mainiac-interesting. Haven't had any other complaints on it. Try the 1page plans and blow them up at Kinko's. Should do the trick. It's a great first time full fuse foam project. Been doing any flying? And thanks!
May 22, 2005, 04:12 AM
There ya go - the one page worked great, thanks.
May 22, 2005, 07:58 PM
Elephant Field Flyer

Cool

Wow , that looks really cool. Do you think I can get you to build a small one for me? I used to have one that looked the same but it got warped a little due to heat.
OK Just kidding, this is the plane I borrowed from you when you were on vacation.............sorry
But I'm not kidding when I say it's a good flying plane and I do want another one. Guess I'll have to get to it and build!
See Ya Sunday
May 22, 2005, 08:03 PM
Elephant Field Flyer

pix

how do i put pix here?
May 22, 2005, 08:04 PM

Va. Beach

Yo guys, enjoy Va. Beach and remember me when you do cause I used to hang out there during my Navy days - had a pad there et al, loved it. Was stationed in Damn Neck and Norfolk in the fifties - nice place - enjoy!
May 23, 2005, 11:46 AM
In Thrust We Trust

Ahoy!

Thanks for your service to keep us safe during the Korean and Cold War years. Much appreciated. Now, how many women over here cried/cheered when you left this area? Ought to come and visit VB sometime, changed abit in the last few years or so.

WetBee-this picture?
Last edited by WaterDog; May 24, 2005 at 07:39 AM.
May 23, 2005, 02:57 PM
Here's my progress on the STS Wings taped & bent, fuselage middle former halfway glued, until I ran out of hot glue...

I've ordered the GWS float set for this one, and I'm planning to use a bp-21 brushless motor.
May 23, 2005, 04:04 PM
In Thrust We Trust

Wow!

You work fast! Thats beautiful in depron. I like it alot.
May 23, 2005, 04:17 PM
In Thrust We Trust

New Video.

Here's the STS all dressed up and flying Dawn Patrol. More touch and goes, more good music. www.tornlogic.com/avov/stsf.wmv 13 megs
Hope you like,
WD
May 23, 2005, 10:25 PM
WaterDog,...words fail me! Beautiful... Another hit!!

Questionoes the STS ever get blown over from a cross wind ? My DH-2 (GWS) has a 8 1/2" spread on the floats and it does get blown over on occasion..3-5 mph winds..Just curious..Thanks again!

Sorry about the stupid icon,don't know how to be rid of it..guess its smarter than I am! LOL
Last edited by Art Schmitz; May 23, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
May 24, 2005, 06:29 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thanks Art! Glad you like it. It hasn't been blown over yet, seems to handle turns and wind with a good deal of stability. Much better than my 42inch Cessna 0-19 on floats. I haven't had it out in anything over 10 mph, so we'll see...

Quick Reply