Sep 18, 2005, 08:24 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aV8ter
Very nice!
How do you like the 283?

Kevin
The KH-283 is an awsome motor for the price, and the fact that it is a only a CDR. I think it is a little heavier than some motors with comparable power and I have read where some people are having trouble with it, but mine has worked GREAT for me since day 1. I have rewound it to 12T of Radio Shack 22ga. to try to reduce the heat that the motor was generating. It seemed to work, as the motor is cooler than with the original wind of 10T 23ga wire.
C-YA RL
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2005, 05:10 PM
Nice job!. I'm building an STS now. Wondering why you doubled up on the struts, and do you have some instructions about building that wing? I haven't mounted mine yet, so I could still build a new one. What's the advantage in flight performance?

Steve
Sep 19, 2005, 05:53 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
vortex2001- Hooray!! You did it. Congratulations! Wild build job with the CD. Glad to hear you had a successful flight. These planes restore faith in flying. Glad you hung in there.

giegerr- nice job as always. How about some video now?
Sep 19, 2005, 06:54 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill
Nice job!. I'm building an STS now. Wondering why you doubled up on the struts
I used the struts I had on my ST, which is a larger wing. I am supporting a video camera on one side and a servo on the other. With the performance of these planes I feel more comfortable with the added wing support.

Quote:
do you have some instructions about building that wing? I haven't mounted mine yet, so I could still build a new one.
Check out these threads for additional wing construction details.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=413
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=418

Quote:
What's the advantage in flight performance?
Wing provides increased lift at the cost of some speed.
Sep 29, 2005, 08:12 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!

Sts/recon

After several successful flights I decided to add a little color and decoration to my RECON (STS). I went to the different manufacturers websites and copied their logos into MS Word. Printed them out on Avery full sheet label vinyl.
The plane is a very stable AP platform, dispite the small diheadral (my choice)in the wing. I enjoy flying it and it wil climb to the moon if I let it. Thanks WaterDog. C-YA RL
Sep 30, 2005, 11:23 AM
I'm real happy with the way my STS flies, but even with my CG sorted out, it still tends to wing rock and tip stall at slower speeds if I'm not finessing the sticks carefully, and when I try to loop, it usually does a really weird snap roll. I'm assuming that's due to the pretty dramatic dyhedral. I see you have removed a lot of the dihedral on your version. How would you describe the flight characteristics of the wing with the modified DH?

BTW, the color scheme is fantastic. Great job!

Steve
Sep 30, 2005, 11:52 AM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:
I'm real happy with the way my STS flies, but even with my CG sorted out, it still tends to wing rock and tip stall at slower speeds if I'm not finessing the sticks carefully, and when I try to loop, it usually does a really weird snap roll. I'm assuming that's due to the pretty dramatic dyhedral. I see you have removed a lot of the dihedral on your version. How would you describe the flight characteristics of the wing with the modified DH?

BTW, the color scheme is fantastic. Great job!

Steve
Steve,
The lack of dihedral eliminates a lot of that wing rock and it flys very stable. I take videos and am able to pan the camera down for vertical shots and the ST in its present configuration just wasn't doing it for me so I constructed the STS and used a 48" Eppler 377 design wing. Slow turns are possible and when the wing stalls in a slow turn the plane tends to go nose down and recovery is quick and stable.
Thanks for those kind words, I tried to make it interesting and also make it easy to see the orientation while flying. Of course at the higher altitudes no matter what color or scheme you have, it only looks like a black bird.
I was flying the other morning and I lost sight of it. Thank goodness I had the cam and the HUD on, as I had to pan the camera up to the horizon and fly into the sun, because the plane was west of me. After a few tense moments I did get it to fly back to within visual range.
Good Luck and fly safe C-YA RL
Oct 01, 2005, 11:46 AM
A couple of other questions for you. What's that CF rod sticking out the tail for?

What did you do for battery access? It's kind of annoying to take the wing off to get to the battery. No biggie I guess, but not too convenient.

Steve
Oct 01, 2005, 12:06 PM
John 3:16
Quote:
A couple of other questions for you. What's that CF rod sticking out the tail for?
Steve
It looks to me like he is using it for a skid (in place of a wheel or nothing at all).
Daddy-O
***EDIT*** Oops, upon closer examination I see that he has a rear wheel. Maybe it is a wheely bar!
Oct 01, 2005, 01:45 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!
Quote:

What did you do for battery access? It's kind of annoying to take the wing off to get to the battery. No biggie I guess, but not too convenient.

Steve
I originally had the CF for a skid, but I found that I could not taxi it. I added a wheel and just kept the skid for a wheely bar .
If you look at the plans for the BIG NASTY you will see that there is a belly door. That is where I place the battery.
C-YA RL
Oct 01, 2005, 06:34 PM
I like the hatch on the bottom. A crushed nose during a bad crash motivated me to put the battery hatch in the side and up front for a better CG situation.
You can view it in post #72
This is a great plane. We had a few minutes to fly today in the wind and it did really well.
Oct 02, 2005, 06:23 PM

How to install the rudder, and optimal battery?

This is a great plane, and my first RC one at that. Does the rudder attach to the tail also with packing tape, or another way? The original (very good!) PDF instructions show where to cut the rudder, but not how to attach it?

Also, I've searched the various RC plane supply sites, and I've yet to find a 1320 ma 3 cell battery ... I've found other batteries in the 8.4 volt range, but the amps were a lot lower. I'm going to use the EPS-350C-DS/BB for the motor, and a 1080 prob, if that helps? A friend of mine is helping me out with regards to the batteries and chargers, but I wonder if the 1320 ma 3 cell would be the better battery for this plane/engine/prop combination?

I appreciate any suggestions!
Oct 02, 2005, 06:41 PM
I really like using CA hinges for the rudder. Cut them about 1/4" wide by 3/4" long. Cut slots and just slip them in. Use foam safe CA and glue them in place.

A 1200-1500 lipo will be fine. I've been using 1500's with mine and it works just fine.

The 3S would be too hot for the 350, so you should go with a 2S 1500 or so. I think you'll need the D gear and a 1280 prop to get this rig moving.

If I built another one, I'd also lessen the dihedral to about half of what the plans call for.

Steve
Oct 02, 2005, 07:06 PM
Quote:
I really like using CA hinges for the rudder. Cut them about 1/4" wide by 3/4" long. Cut slots and just slip them in. Use foam safe CA and glue them in place.
Cool idea! I assume by "CA" you mean contact adhesive? Got a part # or a source of where I can find the CA hinges? Sorry, I'm really new at RC planes...
Oct 02, 2005, 09:28 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
CA = cyanoacrylate, AKA super glue. You need a foam safe super glue such as UFO. You'll need to get it from a hobby shop, you won't find it anywhere else. Personally, I'd just tape the rudder on.
-Rick

Quick Reply