Jan 19, 2015, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43
Hi folks!

I just ordered some electronics from Hobby King for my 8 year old (!) STS that I'm planning on pulling out of moth-balls.

I've grown tired of the "blue foam with black markings" look I selected for it back then and would like to change it to a starburst style scheme with either blue and white or red and white.

I need to be kinda cheap and time efficient about it. Will simple (as light as possible) coats of Testors rattle cans work, or will it add to much weight? I don't have an airbrush and it looks like I'd have to spend a lot of money on Econokoat and end up with more than I'd need for one plane.

Thanks!

PS - the pic is 8 years old as well. The plane doesn't look quite so pristine at this point.
I have settled on either light blue and white sealing tape from tape-brothers, or light blue and white Testors rattle cans.

Any inputs or experiences on which one will give a better result? Tape actually could end up being cheaper, even after shipping.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2015, 04:16 PM
So I went ahead and ordered some blue, white, and red sealing tape.

I'm going to do something similar to real life N53877 and N31283. Except the red will be blue, and the black/blue stripes with be red.
Feb 05, 2015, 05:18 PM
So it took a little longer than I thought it would (several hours), but I finally got my STS makeover complete!

Working with the tape was a little tedious, but not too hard and allowed for some sharp edges and nice details in spots. Of course, in some other spots it doesn't look as good.

I still need to spray paint the landing gear mount white and see if I can dig up a spinner. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain here all weekend, so I won't get to see it in the air until next week sometime.
Jan 21, 2016, 09:01 AM

Guapo, muy guapo.

Guapo, muy guapo.
Aug 19, 2016, 01:23 PM
Thank waterdog for the plans! Building it as we speak. My bixler suffered a fatality so using motor and electronics with a 3 cell 2200 lipo. The motor is a 2627-1960kv. No info on this motor so no idea of prop size. I believe it has a 20 esc but no numbers on it. I am using DT foam for it and probably do some mods and reinforcing. A servo from the bixler is stripped so will go 3 channel for now.
Question: can I double up the main wings for reinforcing? I will use spars and supports too. Just wondering if it would handle wind better that way? Where I live, dead calm is very rare.
Sep 21, 2017, 12:34 AM
I miss the videos linked in the original post. I liked to go back and watch them every so often. Wish they were on YouTube so I could visit them.
Jun 18, 2018, 03:26 AM

Links are not working

Bro Your links are down , can't download the PDF files, shows 404 not found error message when i click on the files to download this sea plane plans template files. please fix and provide a better link like google drive link thank you.
Jun 20, 2018, 11:05 AM
I saved the video quite a long time ago. Reading how others would like to view it again, I have it stored on my computer, but I need some advice on how to make it available.
Jul 01, 2019, 09:35 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Curly
Do you have a YouTube account? If not, you can sign up for free. Then from the YouTube site when you’re logged in you can upload the video. Be sure to make it public.
Jul 05, 2019, 06:38 PM

Video that was on the first page

Those that have wanted a video, it is now on you tube:
stsf (2 min 38 sec)

Quick Reply