Mar 18, 2013, 09:12 PM
what type of foam would work best for this design ?
what is the minimum lengths needed ?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2013, 10:20 AM

STS Sea Plane Build

I have completed a version of this Plane using a 910kV outrunner brushless motor(used a fire-wall instead of stick for GWS set-up) and built it with readiboard (dollar tree, 99c store foam). I cannot find Dow Blucor "fan fold" foam, and after contacting Dow-Corning directly, found that they have sold that division and thay only sell large quantities. At any rate, that product is outlawed in my county (Orange County, Ca USA) because of AQMD(Air Quality Mgmt District) regulations

I used 3M super 77 to laminate two pieces of the readiboard together (after peeling off paper) to get a sheet around 1/4"-5/16" thick. Sheets are 20"x30". If you do this, make sure both sides are coated well and use a roller or lay a piece of plywood on top and put some weight on it to make sure laminate is well bonded. If not, vibration and flexing of the airframe will eventually de-laminate it. But if done well, it is bulletproof.

I used this for the wings, tail feathers (horiz stab), rudder and wheel pants. The fuselage was a single thickness, but I added some vertical formers to the top and bottom of the center fuselage former that runs along the thrust line. This makes sort of an internal skeleton, and adds very little weight. I have no numbers to back this up, but I suspect that my fuse is lighter than the "fan-fold" foam version

The dollar tree foam is easy to cut, sands well and glues up well. and it took 3 sheets to make this plane. It is cheap and readily available. I am in the process of creating a build log, and will let you know how it flies as I hope to maiden it today--wind permitting.

Used a 10x10 thin electric APC prop because I don't have any more 10x7's. It seems to give a healthy thrust at low rpm's, and I recall it worked well for a SIG Super Sport that was about the same dimensions as the STS, and had the same motor. In fact, they look very similar and are both 3-channel planes, but the SS is MUCH heavier.
Last edited by kjhartwell; Jun 07, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Jun 18, 2013, 02:41 PM

STS Seaplane

My STS out of readiboard foam flew great. I just put GWS floats together and will try to go to a lagoon about 20 mi from my house to fly it. I have added a receiver for another radio and an electronic switch that I can switch between radios by use of channel 5 on my Tx. This is so I can fly it with my son without the wire connecting the two radios. It added a substantial amount of weight, but the plane seems to accomodate this well. The only thing is that it's a bit nose heavy and I need to keep throttle up a little more when landing so my elevators work well enough to keep the nose up. Going nose in on a water landing would be a bummer.
Jun 23, 2013, 09:58 PM

Motor/tower pro 2409-18/help

Can anyone tell me if the 2409-18 brushless motor would work in this plane.The motor was in my blu baby and I totalled that plane today and would like to now build this sts and use the same setup that I already have. I was using this motor and a EZ Flite lipo 3S1P 11.1v 30c 2200mah. I know kind of big for a foamy but it seemed to work. Thanks
Jul 12, 2013, 07:05 PM

My ST

I want to thank Waterdog for a great plane. I just finished an enlarged version of the STS which is going up with us to Lake Powell next week. It has a removable windscreen which will take a mount for a GoPro Hero 3.

It has a 60" wing span and a true Clark-Y airfoil using a hybrid foam-core built-up wing sheeted with 3mm Depro.

It carries a 3300 mah 4S lipo running a 4238 770kv motor turning a 13x6.5 electric.

She's only had a couple of short jumps (down the street) but will maiden this weekend on her wheels. Then next week on her floats.

Thanks Waterdog!!!
Jul 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
Is the Turnigy replacement for the Park 450 too big a motor for this plane?

I'm int he midst of finishing my plane and I want to order my motor. I build a tad on the heavy side as I used dollar store foam. I left paper on for the fuselage and I skinned the wings with craft paper/glue.

I'm just having trouble deciding on the motor. I'm ordering from HobbyKing so I can get their 9ch remote, so I'm looking for a motor they carry
Jul 29, 2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhartwell
I have completed a version of this Plane using a 910kV outrunner brushless motor(used a fire-wall instead of stick for GWS set-up) and built it with readiboard (dollar tree, 99c store foam). I cannot find Dow Blucor "fan fold" foam, and after contacting Dow-Corning directly, found that they have sold that division and thay only sell large quantities. At any rate, that product is outlawed in my county (Orange County, Ca USA) because of AQMD(Air Quality Mgmt District) regulations

I used 3M super 77 to laminate two pieces of the readiboard together (after peeling off paper) to get a sheet around 1/4"-5/16" thick. Sheets are 20"x30". If you do this, make sure both sides are coated well and use a roller or lay a piece of plywood on top and put some weight on it to make sure laminate is well bonded. If not, vibration and flexing of the airframe will eventually de-laminate it. But if done well, it is bulletproof.

I used this for the wings, tail feathers (horiz stab), rudder and wheel pants. The fuselage was a single thickness, but I added some vertical formers to the top and bottom of the center fuselage former that runs along the thrust line. This makes sort of an internal skeleton, and adds very little weight. I have no numbers to back this up, but I suspect that my fuse is lighter than the "fan-fold" foam version

The dollar tree foam is easy to cut, sands well and glues up well. and it took 3 sheets to make this plane. It is cheap and readily available. I am in the process of creating a build log, and will let you know how it flies as I hope to maiden it today--wind permitting.

Used a 10x10 thin electric APC prop because I don't have any more 10x7's. It seems to give a healthy thrust at low rpm's, and I recall it worked well for a SIG Super Sport that was about the same dimensions as the STS, and had the same motor. In fact, they look very similar and are both 3-channel planes, but the SS is MUCH heavier.

Did you leave your paper on?

I left mine on for the fuselage but I peeled it off for my wings, but had to brace them to keep shape. Then I sheeted them with craft paper and glue. Waiting on that to dry, but not sure I like how it turned out.
Mar 17, 2014, 03:44 PM
Hi guys,
I just finished my STS -
STS Test (0 min 31 sec)
Quick question - I used a 10X4.7 propeller but not a slow fly one, is there a problem? The wind here is quite bad so I did not made the maiden flight but when the weather will be fine just to be sure I am not missing anything, is it mandatory to use a slow fly one? Or is it ok a standard direct drive? Sorry but I am a beginner and reading most of the comments here, not sure I have found something specified about direct drive, in most of the cases I think I have seen mentioning slow fly even if in the guide there is no mention, is just saying - 9-11 prop.
Cheers,
Apr 09, 2014, 09:37 AM
Hi guys,
Had my Maiden Flight couple of weeks back, 4 flights 'till now, it is flying very good after someone with experience had made the trim on the model. I think I will try now to build another one with ailerons and maybe why not flaps. What I will try to do as well is to have a bigger wingspan, let's say around 1.4 m but let's see. Will post back once I have it.
Cheers,
Bogdan
Apr 25, 2014, 02:57 AM

Video Flight

And here is a video with my beauty. Will start work soon at the version with ailerons.
STS Trainer Flight (0 min 33 sec)
Jun 10, 2014, 11:10 PM
I'm starting mine soon looking forward to seeing yours with ailerons and flaps. I was thinking the same thing. Fair winds Clear skies.
Jun 19, 2014, 02:39 AM
I did the version with ailerons using a flat bottom airfoil with 0 dihedral but I think something got wrong from the angle of incidence ( maybe it was to big ) because when trying to do left or right from the ailerons it was not doing it perfectly (or maybe because no dihedral and the fuselage is too big and initial plan of this plane was to be on 3 channel). At that time I did not had on my TX the possibility to mix ailerons with rudder and being happy that I was able to do acrobatic figures with it, I did so many that I crash it . There is a post here, you need to look at the first pages where someone used a differential ailerons setup and after it was working perfectly, maybe it needs also 1-3 degrees dihedral so it will work perfectly at doing left/right from ailerons but even so if you do the mix with rudder it should work fine. I would suggest that in first instance you go with 3 channel setup, without ailerons, with a good dihedral like suggested here, mine is flying perfectly on this setup and after you build another one with 1-3 degrees on dihedral and do aileron differential setup afterward if it is not working perfectly, or mix with rudder. Other than that this was my first build in 3 channel version and it is flying perfectly so it is a good start to learn how to fly, doing also nice looping figures. I am looking in the future to adapt it for water because I have near my apartment a big lake so I can fly during the week as well. Good luck with your building and looking forward to see your progress. Make sure you do not forget about thrust angle - right and down 2-3 degrees.
PS> at this plane you don't need flaps at all, I was landing the 3 channel version with engine completely off and it was doing it perfectly.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:30 AM

Ozonefoam.com website

Hello,

I already build a STC and I love it !
But I'm sure STS will be nice too. I'm about to build a STS plane (sea plane).

Few days ago, I had a look to the seaplane flihts on the first post of this thread.
But today it does not work anymore ; Ozonefoam.com webiste seems to be complety out of work !

Is there somebody here to fix that or to send the information to the administrator (impossible to send a message on the website, the "Contact" link even does not work )!

Thank you very much.

Christophe (France)
Aug 24, 2014, 05:30 PM
Just discovered this interesting thread and quite fancy building one of these.
Anyone in the UK built one of these?
Last edited by siteman; Aug 24, 2014 at 06:13 PM.
Jan 15, 2015, 07:35 PM
Hi folks!

I just ordered some electronics from Hobby King for my 8 year old (!) STS that I'm planning on pulling out of moth-balls.

I've grown tired of the "blue foam with black markings" look I selected for it back then and would like to change it to a starburst style scheme with either blue and white or red and white.

I need to be kinda cheap and time efficient about it. Will simple (as light as possible) coats of Testors rattle cans work, or will it add to much weight? I don't have an airbrush and it looks like I'd have to spend a lot of money on Econokoat and end up with more than I'd need for one plane.

Thanks!

PS - the pic is 8 years old as well. The plane doesn't look quite so pristine at this point.

Quick Reply