Aug 11, 2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZicZac
Thanks again! That makes more sense now I guess, I originally suspected that this might be the case, but It just seemed too easy .

It sound's like you have made one of these before, can you remember the AUW of your model?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your replies and help!
hi sorry for the late replie, whan I built mine i wasent to worried about the weight of it (big mistake) i used a heavy battery 2200mah and a 50gram motor mine came up to around 500g rtf and 220grams with no electronics.
But agian i went heavier than I wanted to.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2011, 04:49 AM

Motor mount!

I'd like to see how others have mounted their motors to their STS. Pictures would be helpful. I realize that the mount depends on the motor, but I'd like to get the general idea. It's also fun to see others solutions .

Also... What is the easiest way to strengthen the wing without the fuse-to-wing rods.
Aug 11, 2011, 06:42 AM

Motor mount!

Oops! How do I delete this post?
Last edited by ZicZac; Aug 11, 2011 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Posted same reply twice.
Aug 12, 2011, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZicZac
I'd like to see how others have mounted their motors to their STS. Pictures would be helpful. I realize that the mount depends on the motor, but I'd like to get the general idea. It's also fun to see others solutions .

Also... What is the easiest way to strengthen the wing without the fuse-to-wing rods.
Hey this is my motor mount.
For the supports i used a 1.5mm carbon rod and clevises on each end with a control horn holding it on the fuselage and the wing so it can be removed to get under the wing for battery changes.
Hope this helped
Last edited by NZ RC; Aug 12, 2011 at 02:34 AM.
Aug 12, 2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ RC
Hey this is my motor mount.
For the supports i used a 1.5mm carbon rod and clevises on each end with a control horn holding it on the fuselage and the wing so it can be removed to get under the wing for battery changes.
Hope this helped
That helped! Thanks for the quick reply. I'm currently travelling, so taking a forced break from building. I thought I'd prepare myself for when I get back, so thats why I'm coming with all these questions.

Your motor mount gives me the confidence I needed. I'm sure whatever motor I get I'll manage to attatch it somehow .

As for wing support or reinforcement, I was hoping to avoid the carbon rods and clevises between fuse and wing. I'm hoping that reinforcing the wing locally with ribs and a long thin wooden or carbon rod, running through the halves of the wing, through the ribs will do the job. Has anyone done something like this?

Thanks again NZ RC for the pic and quick reply
Aug 15, 2011, 05:36 AM

Coating the plane!?

Another question, now concerning the finishing touches: I'm not at that stage yet, but I'd like to be prepared for it

My plan is to use the STS as intended, a sea plane . Having that in mind I want to give the fuse a decent coating (water proof). I figured that coating it would involve more than just spraying paint directly onto the Depron. I've seen people use paper-mache, but will that be water proof, and how much weight does it add?

Thanks for any help

For those that are wondering ... I'm finished gluing together the fuse and have sanded it down, now I'm gonna start with the wing and floats
Aug 15, 2011, 06:59 PM
Here's a list of motors that I figured would work well with the STS, but please correct me if I'm wrong, and also I'd like some help choosing

RedRock 2208-17 51gram 1000KV
RedRock 2212-11 62gram 1000KV

Hyperion ZS 2209 30-Turn 950Kv
Hyperion ZS 2209 24-Turn 1165Kv

Waypoint motor 3D/Slow flyers(26-turn, 50gr)

I think I might go with the RedRock 2208-17 51gram 1000KV.
Aug 17, 2011, 05:57 AM

Status update

I hope this isn't too irrelevant, and I hope at least someone enjoys the pictures.

So here are some pictures after the small progress that I have made after returning from my trip to Denmark

The floats are completed to the point where they are waterproof and I have tested that they support approximately 500 g of weight. I'm currently working on the wing as you can see

I think that the supports going parallel to and perpendicular to the wing made from 6 mm Depron (what are these called... spars?) are sufficient and I won't be needing any carbon... I hope, at least it feels that way.
Aug 24, 2011, 05:51 PM

Hmm... nobody home? :P

Concerning the electrical equipment, I have decided that unless I get told otherwise by people on this forum or people in the hobby shop, I will use the following in my STS.

(Battery) 3s 1300mAh - 25C - Hyperion G3 CX
(Motor) Hyperion ZS 2213 18-Turn 1042Kv
(ESC & BEC) Hyperion Atlas 25A 4S ESC Linear BEC
(Rx) Spektrum AR600 DSMX 6ch Sport RX
(Servos) Hitec HS-55 feather servo
(Propellars) APC 11x5,5E and APC 9x6E

In total that should amount to roughly 220g of electronics leaving me with a decent limit of around 250g for the fuselage, landing gear and wings etc.

Does the motor, ESC, receiver and battery combination sound fair enough?
Aug 28, 2011, 06:58 PM
it should work, this plane is pretty flexible with power systems
Aug 30, 2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrc22
it should work, this plane is pretty flexible with power systems
Thanks, I purchased the Hyperion ZS 2213 18-Turn 1042Kv (and all the other parts mentioned on the list) a couple of days ago and am hoping it will be more than sufficient
Nov 19, 2011, 03:03 AM
Wizard
Hi guys, i want to build this but just wandering how much does this weigh? Only motor i have spins a 8x5 prop on 3s i was wondering if it would work on this

edit: Never mind i downloaded it and it said the weight, i just scaled it down thoough
Last edited by Magickid; Nov 19, 2011 at 08:57 PM.
Nov 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
This may be a bit O.T. but has anyone tried to make this out of coroplast (corflute here in OZ)? I have 2 sheets and need a good starting point as this will be my first plane,
Dec 23, 2011, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Hy
This may be a bit O.T. but has anyone tried to make this out of coroplast (corflute here in OZ)? I have 2 sheets and need a good starting point as this will be my first plane,
Hi flying hy . I just built this plane and made the wing out of corflute so easy to work with folding the wings also used 10mm dowell for wing spar. I did put a little dihedral in the wing. Dont worry about the extra weight this thing floats great. The rest of the plane is 9mm epp. 50 gram motor and i use 1050 3s rhino lipos. If i built another i would not bother with dihedral. No reason except easier to build fast. Bunnings sells corflute.Wing was 3mm corflute and yes it would still fly ok being all coreflute 3mm, just use batteries around the 1000mah and i think it would be fine.
Jan 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hey I was thinking of building this plane, but I do not see an inch scale (or any scale) on the plans. How do I know what scale to print this at? Thanks

*edit* I guess I just click no scale from what I can find. Is this right?

Iwfs
Last edited by IwillFlySoon; Jan 29, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply