Aug 08, 2011, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ RC View Post
no problem, yep i think depron will work great, the credit cards are used to stop the spars which hold the rubberbands on from cutting through the foam (because they are being pulled from the rubberbands) i just used a peice of plastic from a icecream container but you could use some balsa wood or anything similar realy. hope this helps
Thanks again! That makes more sense now I guess, I originally suspected that this might be the case, but It just seemed too easy .

It sound's like you have made one of these before, can you remember the AUW of your model?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your replies and help!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2011, 01:32 AM
Here I've attached the Google Sketch Up 8 file for the STS. If I may say so, I think I did quite a decent job. I did this partially to convince myself that the dimensions and the scale of the plane was alright, but also because I haven't gotten my hands on real building material .

To those that don't know what Google Sketch Up is, go here: http://sketchup.google.com/

I hope someone will find this 3D computer model useful / interesting
Aug 08, 2011, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko_ronaldo View Post
Hi!
I finished with make and I go to fly.
Fly..... Fly....... and suddenly I crash it in one electric post.
I start make new.
Sounds like the right attitude! It's way too easy to become and then after destroying your plane! Can you recall what the AUW of your's was? Also... please show pictures!
Aug 08, 2011, 03:51 AM
I was using ORASTICK (self adhesive film). Cut out pieces of Orastick, placed it onto the depron and ironed it to the depron following the instructions that came with it.
Aug 08, 2011, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweazle2701 View Post
I was using ORASTICK (self adhesive film). Cut out pieces of Orastick, placed it onto the depron and ironed it to the depron following the instructions that came with it.
Instead of the credit card cut outs you mean?
Aug 09, 2011, 05:23 AM
I started building yesterday ... finally got my Depron, and lots of it!

It cost me 90$ for 4 sheets of 6 mm Depron 80 cm x 125 cm. (I'm guessing this is expensive) .

Here's my progress so far!
Aug 09, 2011, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZicZac View Post
Instead of the credit card cut outs you mean?
Well, .... not really. Everything that is colored (red resp. yellow) is not painted but much more self adhesive Orastick film. That stuff comes in lenghts of 10 m. Width of the film is 1 m ..... so what I did is simply cut out the "decals" / coloring using my exacto knive, put it on the depron parts and ironed it at moderate temp. DONE!

Control horns or reinforcements (gear attachment points, wing joint covering) are made of 1 mm plywood. Credit card plastic has not been used on this plane.
Aug 09, 2011, 12:01 PM

Hot glue removal?

I've been working for the most with hot glue on this model, and now that I'm almost done putting the fuselage together I've started sanding the edges and in general am polishing it. I found that getting rid of hot glue "stains" was fairly difficult. Does anyone have a special or effective way of getting rid of excess hot glue that has hardened?

On another note, how difficult is it to mount the motor? I mean, is it fairly easy to attach an "arbitrary" suitable motor to the wooden shaft?

Thanks for any response
Aug 09, 2011, 12:05 PM

Coloring using ORASTICK

For those who might be interested in ORASTICK stuff:
http://www.oracover.de/?&

One more plane that I colored using the orastick stuff:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=bipie&page=25

I like this method since it adds some more stability to the depron ... kind of a full surface taping. Please note: Orastick adds something like 100 grams per square meter.
Aug 09, 2011, 12:11 PM

Flaps

Has anyone ever tried to install flaps to the STS?

I would like to teach my 6 years old son to fly ....but due to the acutal weight of the plane it needs to fly rather fast .... which makes landings for junior pretty tricky.

So I was planning to install two 5 gram servos and use the inner third of the wing as flaps.

Any ideas if this is feasable?
Aug 09, 2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Has anyone ever tried to install flaps to the STS?

I would like to teach my 6 years old son to fly ....but due to the acutal weight of the plane it needs to fly rather fast .... which makes landings for junior pretty tricky.

So I was planning to install two 5 gram servos and use the inner third of the wing as flaps.

Any ideas if this is feasable?
How much does it weigh?

I'm sorry I can't give you much advice / help regarding the flaps, the STS is my first build.
Aug 09, 2011, 12:40 PM
I've built several STS's and have found them to be quite slow flyers and very easy to
fly. Same with the profile version STC which is also very easy and a much quicker
build. Can't go wrong with either of them but I'd probably go with the STC for Jr.
Keep the control throws mild and set her up for level flight. He'lll be asking what the
big deal is after a couple of flights. LOL! Warm regards, Jim
Aug 09, 2011, 01:02 PM
Wondering, can this be built out of dollar store foamboard? How long is the fuse or what is the length of the longest part (can't remember if the wing is 2 piece glued together or 1 piece bent....) I'm sure it is already mentioned if someone has used the foamboard. I've looked at this thread many times over the past several years. I got out of RC and am back in with a Parkzone ultra micro. I think this winter I want to try my hand at building a few different planes from dollar store foam. This plane (and the STC) has always been on my list.

Whoops, Duh! Just looked at the plans to print them and the dimmensions are right on the plan. So, never mind if it would fit a dollar store foamboard....
Aug 09, 2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZicZac View Post
How much does it weigh?

I'm sorry I can't give you much advice / help regarding the flaps, the STS is my first build.
Weigh is about 460 gr (~16 oz) ... so kind of on the heavy side. I have coated the plane's complete belly with a layer of glasfiber & epoxy to better withstand belly landings ... pretty robust, but as a consequence the thing got somewhat heavy.
Aug 09, 2011, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Weigh is about 460 gr (~16 oz) ... so kind of on the heavy side. I have coated the plane's complete belly with a layer of glasfiber & epoxy to better withstand belly landings ... pretty robust, but as a consequence the thing got somewhat heavy.
Nice, that doesn't sound too bad actually! If the coat is in replace of landing gear or floats, the additional weight increase is kind of worth it. Sounds like a neat solution, I'm sure it lands well in grass and on most other surfaces. Have you considered modding it to be capable of water landings / takeoffs. I'm thinking all you'd need to add are some outer wing supports / floats, assuming that the coat you added to the bottom is water proof!

Would be cool if this plane could take of and land on water on it's belly

... Edit:

On second thought, the above would probably not be doable as the prop would be too close if not submerged in the water! :P
Last edited by ZicZac; Aug 09, 2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: On second thought...

Quick Reply