Aug 30, 2005, 12:37 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
Sure. Here you go: http://www.ozonefoam.com/sts.pdf

There are more on page one of this thread. Look forward to your build.
Last edited by WaterDog; Mar 10, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2005, 09:11 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
hey Wolfgang, did you get your parts back to Germany yet? I'm wondering how that worked out for you
-Rick
Sep 05, 2005, 02:13 PM

Electronics

Hi Everyone,

How does my gear list look? I made a list from foamfly.com. Is this the best gear to use? Is there a way to get equivalent gear for less $??. (Am using 3rd servo for ailerons)

Best Regards,

Alan

$17.45 GWS EPS-350c "D" Motor (6.6:1 Gear Ratio) GWS EPS-350 (Electric Power System) with highter kV Speed 370 motor, Gearbox, connector and spinner.

$1.75 9x7 SlowFlyer Propeller (EP9070) GWS 9.0" x 7.0" Slow Flyer Propeller (2-Blade)

$19.45 GWS ICS-300 8-15 Amp Speed Control GWS 8-15 Amp speed controller with connectors, BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) and Heat Sink

$19.95 4-Channel 72MHz Pico Receiver (Futaba/Hitec) GWS 4-Channel Pico Receiver (Futaba/Hitec) Vertical Pins

$16.99 E-Tec 250mAh 2-Cell Lithium Polymer Pack. TINY High Current Draw 2-Cell (8.4V) Lithium Polymer Pack, with JST plug

$39.99 Apache-2030 1-3 cell Lithium + NiCD + NiMH Charger Quickly charges 1-3 Lithium Polymer cells AND charges your Nicad and Nimh packs too! Perfect all around charger.

$14.00 Pico Servo GWS Pico Servo

Total = $157.58
Sep 05, 2005, 08:00 PM
I would recommend the GWS ICS-480 15amp continuous, 25 amp max. It shouldn't cost much more but I think you'll be glad you spent the extra money. I would also look at getting a battery with at least 750mah rating. Balsa Products web site has ratings for the GWS motor that list amp draws with different props and voltages. www.baslapr.com
Sep 05, 2005, 08:31 PM

Maiden Flight

We finished our STS today and flew it this evening. My son was thrilled since it flies way better than his previous plan - wing dragon. It's a little tail heavy so above 1/2 throttle we get a little proposing. It already pretty heavy, but I may need to add some weight to the nose since the tail is about as light as I can make it. Once problem we had was the wing folding up. I thought it was going to snap. Thankfully it held together but it did rip one strut out of the wing. We removed both struts and it flew nicely without them. The struts make it a pain to install the battery so I’m thinking we won’t put them back on. Anyone else flying without them?
I also want to reinforce the wings. Should I put carbon fiber on the leading edge or in the location marked on the plans. Do I need to connect the carbon fiber with a bent tube to keep the dihedral set, like the slow stick has?
Seems like loops could be tricky unless that wing gets stiffer.
Thanks for the plans and info. I’ll get pictures up soon.
Sep 05, 2005, 08:50 PM
Here's a picture of my son's STS. He named it "The Beast" and painted it purple and yellow with latex paint and a foam brush. I still need to put on the black windows with a sharpie for him.
Sep 05, 2005, 11:03 PM
You deserve my opinion

Thanks for a great construction guide!

WD!

Hope you don't mind me moving just a little off-topic, but I wanted to say thanks for the great STS construction guide.

I bought a Clancy Lazy Bee plan (for a balsa plane) off eBay a few weeks ago and I wanted to make it out of foam. Having limited experience, esp with full fuse foamies, I used your STS construction guide step-by-step to build a Bee. It worked great! Results posted here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&page=26&pp=15

Just wanted to say thanks! And for other noobies out there (like me), please be assured that building WD's planes (my first build w/o a kit was an STC) will help you with those other planes you'll want to build down the road.

You're making a great contribution to our hobby, WD!

Pat
Last edited by FirstShirt; Sep 05, 2005 at 11:10 PM.
Sep 06, 2005, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyweb
hey Wolfgang, did you get your parts back to Germany yet? I'm wondering how that worked out for you
-Rick
hey Rick!

yep, i've got them! now the only thing i still need is to get some depron and then i hope to get started with the build!
Sep 06, 2005, 07:19 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
vortex2001- Great flight report. Glad that you and your son are having fun with it. On the struts, I wouldn't fly without them. They are a major load bearing support for the wing and one hard loop will probably fold a wing. Try moving the battery forward if possible. If you go the cf route, put them on the spar not the LE, it will be stronger. And a bent tube must connect them if no struts are used. More pics! The "Beast" looks wild.

Firstshirt- Wow! Nice job. It's a beauty! I like it alot. And thanks for the kind words. Congrats!
Sep 06, 2005, 09:38 PM

Bad idea

Wish I had read your post before we went out tonight. I reinforced the wing with bamboo skewers but it was not enough to keep them from folding when my son decided to try a loop. The wing tips met and down came “the beast” like a dead duck. The front got scrunched and the motor mount ripped out.

OK so maybe I’ll rig up a new set of struts and make the windshield open so I can swap batteries without removing the wing.

I also noted that the battery overheated started to melt the covering. Do I need to ventilate the battery/esc compartment?
Sep 07, 2005, 01:17 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
vortex2001- Sorry! Hope its repairable. My batteries usually get a little warm if I'm pushing it, but never so hot that they melt the cover. But you should be OK with a open windscreen, plenty of air. Make sure you have a exhaust vent too. Hang in there..
Sep 10, 2005, 05:02 PM

The Beast reborn

I've rebuilt “the beast” after the collapsed wings and nosedive.
I used CDs for several things that I have yet to see anyone do, but it's likely not a new idea. I used a full sized CD to mount the landing gear and as the strut support. Wire ties hold the music wire to the CD. It’s lighter and more secure then the wood I used originally. Using a heat gun I bent the CD to fit the bottom of the plane and form the proper angle for the strut support. All bending is done far from the plane since it would melt the foam.

I also used slices of mini CDs for the wing strut mounts and the tailskid. I added a carbon fiber spar and use carbon fiber for the struts. The beast feels solid as a rock now.

I also relocated the battery under the motor mount to move the CG forward. I made a door in side to allow changing the battery without removing with the wing.

I have high hopes for this new version. I’ll let you know after we fly again. Pictures hopefully show the specifics.
Sep 18, 2005, 04:26 PM
It Wasn't Me!!!!

Modified STS

In an attemp to get a lighter AP platform from the previous ST, I turned to the STS. I lengthend the wing to 48" and added 1/2" to the cord. As you can see I tried the Eppler 377 wing and I am NOT dissappointed. Upon take off she climbs at about 60 degrees with this STOL wing. Dead stick landings are a snap with an excellent glide ratio.
AUW with camera, transmitter, and batteries is 25.3 oz.
Thanks WD. C-YA RL
Last edited by geigerr; Sep 18, 2005 at 04:56 PM.
Sep 18, 2005, 05:59 PM
Very nice!
How do you like the 283?

Kevin
Sep 18, 2005, 07:57 PM

The Beast loops

We had about 15 mins to fly tonight and Jacob put the new and improved beast into the air and it worked great. He even tried a loop as night fell and it worked just fine. Very stable in the air. He had a good time and wants to fly more. The Wing Dragon had totally turned him off to flying. I'm glad we built the STS.

Thanks

Quick Reply