Jul 31, 2005, 12:51 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
No, the paint adds very little weight to a plane like this. Just test on sample pieces of foam first.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2005, 12:54 PM
Closed Account
vortex2001 - Thanks. The yellow paint job was easy to apply. I used Testors Airbrush kit and Model Master "chrome yellow" acryl paint.
Aug 10, 2005, 07:33 AM
my ailerons never really worked o this plane........ I had no dihedral either.... what am I doning wrong.... sweet flying plane BTW on rudder!!!!!!
Aug 10, 2005, 11:46 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
Thanks ekim! With rudder it's a great flyer. If you want to add ailerons, you'll still need a little dihedral, 1-3 degrees would work. You could increase the size of the ailerons if you need more response too. See if that helps.
WD
Aug 11, 2005, 02:30 AM
Hi all !

i read the whole threads - abut the STC and the STS - but in between i like the STS still more, what a great model. I would to build one too, but i haven't yet got these Lipo things. In Germany i think this stuff is more expensive than in USA, isnt it?
At the moment my mother is on holiday in the USA (eastcoast) and i thought that she could buy the things in the states and bring it with her overhere.
So, could you guys tell me exactly what is a good setup for the STS?
I would take the whole RC stuff except the RC Controler( i have a Graupnr FM314 RC COntroler). So this would be:

receiver (35Mhz)

motor-controler(how do you call this in english by the way??)

servos

motor

gear

loader for the battery(best would be 12V DC, than i can use it with an Adaptor in Germanys 220V-net too. Its also enough if its just a lipo charger, i already have a charger for normal batteries.)

battery(lipo)

Now it would be important to know - if you could make me a list of fitting products which you can buy in USA - where to buy them? From my USA visits i know Radioshack, is this a good shop for this? Maybe she could get it there? Another possibility would be to order it in some American online-shop and let it ship to friends in tennessee who my mum will visit next week.
Also good would be to get the whole bunch of things in ONE shop...
So, it would be great if you guys could help me, that i can build my own STS soon, thanks in advance
greetings,
Wolfgang
Last edited by qwadrat; Aug 11, 2005 at 02:45 AM.
Aug 11, 2005, 11:23 AM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwadrat
Hi all !

i read the whole threads - abut the STC and the STS - but in between i like the STS still more, what a great model. I would to build one too, but i haven't yet got these Lipo things. In Germany i think this stuff is more expensive than in USA, isnt it?
At the moment my mother is on holiday in the USA (eastcoast) and i thought that she could buy the things in the states and bring it with her overhere.
So, could you guys tell me exactly what is a good setup for the STS?
I would take the whole RC stuff except the RC Controler( i have a Graupnr FM314 RC COntroler). So this would be:

receiver (35Mhz)

motor-controler(how do you call this in english by the way??)

servos

motor

gear

loader for the battery(best would be 12V DC, than i can use it with an Adaptor in Germanys 220V-net too. Its also enough if its just a lipo charger, i already have a charger for normal batteries.)

battery(lipo)

Now it would be important to know - if you could make me a list of fitting products which you can buy in USA - where to buy them? From my USA visits i know Radioshack, is this a good shop for this? Maybe she could get it there? Another possibility would be to order it in some American online-shop and let it ship to friends in tennessee who my mum will visit next week.
Also good would be to get the whole bunch of things in ONE shop...
So, it would be great if you guys could help me, that i can build my own STS soon, thanks in advance
greetings,
Wolfgang
Great idea Wolfgang. First, you mentioned in the message that you already have a controller, then the your needs list shows that you need a controller. I'm confused, do you need a motor speed controller or not? Also are you wanting to get a brushed or brushless motor? Next, I'm not sure that your mom will be able to find a 35mhz receiver in the US. I would recommend ordering from Parkflyermotors.com or slofly.com and you can get everything you need from either. On second thought since she will be in Tennessee, you may want to consider buying from Hobby Lobby since they are there. Make sure your mom knows there are TWO Hobby Lobby's in the US, one is an online/catalogue hobby shop and the other is a retail craft and hobby shop. You want the online hobby shop. I have no idea if they have a retail store in Tennessee or not. For a speed controller Castle Creations is the best available here but they are more expensive than most, at least for brushless controllers. Check the places I told you about above for 10amp speed controllers. For a receiver I would recommend the GWS pico or a bluebird or plantraco dsp4. They are all similarly priced, the plantraco has a lot more range and I am very happy with mine ( I have 2). For servos I think any of the 6 gram servos are good, with hitec hs-55's being the best. As for motor and gear, if you get a brushless outrunner type of motor you do not need a gearbox. For this plane something small would do, like a cdrom motor but I would probably get something just a little llarger, like the bp-21 which is available at many places, such as slofly.com http://slofly.com/cart/index.php?cPath=0_23_45_135
As for a "loader" for the batteries, are you talking about a charger? If so I would recommend the Apache 2500. It runs on 12v DC power only so you won't have any voltage problems.
Hope that helps, I'm sure someone else will have more suggestions.
-Rick
Aug 11, 2005, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyweb
Great idea Wolfgang. First, you mentioned in the message that you already have a controller, then the your needs list shows that you need a controller. I'm confused, do you need a motor speed controller or not? Also are you wanting to get a brushed or brushless motor? Next, I'm not sure that your mom will be able to find a 35mhz receiver in the US. I would recommend ordering from Parkflyermotors.com or slofly.com and you can get everything you need from either. On second thought since she will be in Tennessee, you may want to consider buying from Hobby Lobby since they are there. Make sure your mom knows there are TWO Hobby Lobby's in the US, one is an online/catalogue hobby shop and the other is a retail craft and hobby shop. You want the online hobby shop. I have no idea if they have a retail store in Tennessee or not. For a speed controller Castle Creations is the best available here but they are more expensive than most, at least for brushless controllers. Check the places I told you about above for 10amp speed controllers. For a receiver I would recommend the GWS pico or a bluebird or plantraco dsp4. They are all similarly priced, the plantraco has a lot more range and I am very happy with mine ( I have 2). For servos I think any of the 6 gram servos are good, with hitec hs-55's being the best. As for motor and gear, if you get a brushless outrunner type of motor you do not need a gearbox. For this plane something small would do, like a cdrom motor but I would probably get something just a little llarger, like the bp-21 which is available at many places, such as slofly.com http://slofly.com/cart/index.php?cPath=0_23_45_135
As for a "loader" for the batteries, are you talking about a charger? If so I would recommend the Apache 2500. It runs on 12v DC power only so you won't have any voltage problems.
Hope that helps, I'm sure someone else will have more suggestions.
-Rick
Hi Rick!

first, thanks for you great reply.
I mean that i have the transmitter (now i got the right word ) with which you control the plane, and i need a motor speed controller. I just checked out slofly.com, great site! Seems as if they really have everything i need.
As my mum will be in Johnson City, TN and Hobbylobby online is located near Nashville, TN i think its better to order the things online. Unfortunately i thought that the brushless motor controllers and motors are too expensive, but its amazing how cheap these things are at slowfly.com.
On SLofly.com i chose out the following parts up to now(didnt buy them yet):

- 1x BP 21 Brushless Motor
- 1x BP 10A Brushless ESC
- 2x Blue Bird 306 6g servo (Hitec arent in stock atm)

all this would be 80,40 $

now the charger. didnt find the Apache 2500, but i think the ETEC2020 should work, too? Costs 29 $ at hobbylobby.
Now i still need a fitting prop and a fitting mounting for the prop on the motor, which to take?
And a lipo battery! How many cells, which capacity and which manufacturer?
Last edited by qwadrat; Aug 11, 2005 at 12:04 PM.
Aug 11, 2005, 01:42 PM
Quote:
- 1x BP 21 Brushless Motor
- 1x BP 10A Brushless ESC
- 2x Blue Bird 306 6g servo (Hitec arent in stock atm)

all this would be 80,40 $
[/b]

now the charger. didnt find the Apache 2500, but i think the ETEC2020 should work, too? Costs 29 $ at hobbylobby.
Now i still need a fitting prop and a fitting mounting for the prop on the motor, which to take?
And a lipo battery! How many cells, which capacity and which manufacturer?
I think you meant the etec2030, there is no 2020 on that site. The 2030 will work fine as long as you do not plan to charge packs of more than 3 cells. Your other choices are perfect. You do not need a prop adaptor with the BP-21. But you may want to get a slofly multisaver prop adaptor so you can rubber band your props on http://slofly.com/cart/product_info....products_id=28
The GWS props will fit on it as is. An 8x4 direct drive prop will be fine
http://slofly.com/cart/product_info....roducts_id=331
-Rick
Aug 11, 2005, 01:45 PM
By the way Wolfgang, slofly.com is great, I buy most of my stuff there and I usually receive my orders in 2 days. I also like parkflyermotors.com and allerc.com. Since slofly has everythng you need I would stick with them.
-Rick
Aug 11, 2005, 02:06 PM
thanks again for your reply, Rick!

now i've got everything i need, except the battery, which one would you suggest?
And how do i pay a slofly.com? Can i pay with American Express? Or only with Paypal?
Aug 11, 2005, 06:43 PM
Quote:
thanks again for your reply, Rick!

now i've got everything i need, except the battery, which one would you suggest?
And how do i pay a slofly.com? Can i pay with American Express? Or only with Paypal?
I'd say that you need batteries in the range of 1000 to 1700 mah, just pick which you can afford, and if you can afford it get at least 2 packs.
I've always used paypal at slofly so I do not know which credit cards they take, but they do take credit cards.
-Rick
Aug 13, 2005, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colbyweb
I'd say that you need batteries in the range of 1000 to 1700 mah, just pick which you can afford, and if you can afford it get at least 2 packs.
I've always used paypal at slofly so I do not know which credit cards they take, but they do take credit cards.
-Rick
Ok, i ordered today and just got the note that it was shipped, so it should arrive in the next days, great
Aug 13, 2005, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Ok, i ordered today and just got the note that it was shipped, so it should arrive in the next days, great
Glad to help! Hope it works out great for you
-Rick
Aug 15, 2005, 07:36 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
qwadrat-glad you received the help you need. If you need help during the build, let us know. I look forward to seeing yours.

colbyweb- you're a gentleman and a scholar. Very nice of you to provide all that info and help. Thanks again.
Aug 30, 2005, 12:29 PM

STS planes...where?

I built an STC and absolutely love it! What an excellent flyer. I would like to build a larger version and the STS sounds like fun.

Can anyone provide a link?

Quick Reply