Jun 28, 2005, 12:28 AM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
I wanted to be *much* further along than I am right now, but since I did a little damage to my lower back at work, I lost one full day of building Sunday, and most of Monday. The "Plan" was to get most of the build done Sunday and to maiden the phase 1 version, Monday afternoon.

"Interesting" muscle spasms along both sides of the lumbar spine. Should be fine by Wednesday, because that's the day I go back to work.

I did manage to get the fuse sides, top, servo deck, and bottom cut out, along with the elevator parts.

Can't quite remain upright long enough to get much more done tonight, but I'll be back at it in the AM. (Plenty of Ibuprofin on-hand.) I'll post more pictures as I install the formers and get it all glued up.

As you can see for the pics of the parts taped together, it is scaled-up, with a little more width added in to accomodate a camera mount that will be added once its been flown and proven out.

I really should have a lot more done and posted, but at least something was accomplished. That's it for now, I'm going horizontal for a while.

Mike S.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2005, 12:52 AM
The Young Man
That is very cool!

I saved the info ... might need to give one of these a try soon!

eX
Jun 28, 2005, 10:41 AM
Got a question that may have been asked already, it it has been, I didn't see it.

On an enlarged version, do you want (or need) any adjustments to the thrust line? Or might this have some kind of adverse effect on water take-offs?

Mike S.
Jun 28, 2005, 04:39 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP

Bench pressing the MRI machine again?

Mike- Sounds like you hurt. Go slow, or you'll just make it worse. Plane looks great so far. Looking forward to seeing a large full fuse version. I would think you might have to beef up the firewall area with thin plywood glued to some strategic load bearing areas to be on the safe side with the extra power. In the profile version, the cf rod in the middle of the fuse does all the work.
No difference in thrust line on plans for the larger version. Float placement is more critical when ROW.

Excogitate- Great! Please do. Check back on this thread to stay current.
Jun 28, 2005, 09:23 PM
Closed Account

New STS ready for take off . . .

. . . but first I need some electronics and controls - waiting on back order.
This plane has been pure pleasure to build.

Power system is EPS400C-E (3:40:1), Pixie 20 esc, Lipo 1500 11.1 3-cell
Lots of power. Maybe too much. We will see.

I plan on putting on color microvideo camera like WaterDogs (Super HAD color camera) Here's some semi-finished pics of soon to become "Eagle-Scout".

Thanks again WaterDog and all for your helpful ideas.
Jun 28, 2005, 10:55 PM
Suspended Account
Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but are those the GWS floats you're using on the seaplane?
Jun 28, 2005, 11:55 PM
On patrol.
Mike: Sorry to hear about your back. Back pain is no fun; take it easy and a speedy recovery.

Eagle-Eye: Nice!
Jun 29, 2005, 05:33 AM
Eagle-Eye,

Great looking model! I like the yellow & blue paint job. Looking forward to seeing video from it. Floats next?

Everyone,

Back pain is an occupational hazzard for X-Ray techs. It's usually a result of poor body mechanics on our part. I've been doing this long enough, I should know better. As predicted, I'm just about back to normal this morning and it's back to work for me.

Yes, I intend to add lite ply to the two formers, along with some good-sized stringers between them, glued to them and the fuse. I'll also add a shelf underneath the motor stick, just in case I need to slide the battery forward if needed, to balance against the camera. But the camera will be placed very nearly on the CG.

I'll get that done in the evenings during the next 3 days of my work cycle, along with the wings. I'm going to use the same method I used with the J-3 Cub to make the wing with a flat section over the fuse, as I never liked the look of a cabin top that has a "V" crease down into the fuse. It's easy to do and I'll post pics of how that's done.

Mike S.

Mike
Jun 29, 2005, 06:29 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
badaltitude- yes they are gws floats, but you can make them from blue foam too.

Mike- glad your back in the saddle. Sounds good, but you might want to keep in mine that all electronics are on the "shelf" so that water, which will get in, doesn't touch it. These high wing seaplanes have a tendency to nose over and bury the motor in the water. From the windscreen back, is usually dry. Pics, we want pics!
Jun 29, 2005, 06:55 AM
Suspended Account
Thanks, Waterdog. I think this will be my first seaplane... I just looked through the build guide. Wow! Thanks again.
Jun 29, 2005, 01:32 PM
Closed Account
Thanks guys for the compliments. I am itching to get the parts I need and get this puppy skyward.

mad mike: probably not on the floats. Lots of rivers around Eugene and I would hate to make a landing and have my STS float down the Willamette or McKenzie River.
Jun 30, 2005, 05:06 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Guys I decided to jump in here and put one together, 44 inch WS with a BP-21 out front. So that I don't have to go back and dig can anyone direct to the airlons hookup options. Thanks in advanced

Tow Man
Jul 30, 2005, 05:56 PM

Good First Plane?

I've built a couple planes and need to build a new one for my son who's just starting out. He had a wing dragon that kept falling apart and never flew true. I made a foam version that worked better, but after flying it into the side of our car I think he's ready for a new plane. I just want to make sure the STS is a good place to start. I know you say to build the STC first but I assume that's a build issue and not a flyer issue. Is one more durable than the other? I'm also planning to use a gws 350C-D with a 10x8 prop.

Thanks.
Jul 30, 2005, 05:59 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
vortex2001- that will work out perfectly with that motor and prop. Plane is quite durable compared to most and is very versatile for different flying fields/lakes. Please give it a try and keep us posted with pics on your build.
Jul 30, 2005, 07:50 PM

How to paint?

What's the concensus on painting foam? Eagle-Eye I love your yellow one, how did you do it?
I checked out the new H2O spray paint at wally world, but my son wants purple and they did no have that color. Is the extra weight of paint an issue?

Quick Reply