May 23, 2005, 08:08 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDog
Thank you Bildo. The music "Mi Angel" by Los Ninos de Sara. Do you strum?
Thanks. I did start learning from my Pops years ago but unfortunately I never followed through. I do however enjoy some Al Di Meola and the like whilst relaxing about the house.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2005, 09:46 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
Wow! Awesome flying in such a tight area. You're the neighborhood bomber!
And it's a full fuse too. Thanks for sharing that with us, Brmihi08. Very cool.
May 23, 2005, 09:52 PM
No time to fly
Cool, everyone seems to comment on my flying in small areas. It is nothing new to me, I learned to fly in that area, only with a few more trees. It is a very maneuverable airplane, which makes it great for flying in a small area. Either on this one, or maybe a next one, I will add a drop box, it will be so much fun when I do that. Thanks for the plans.
Brian
May 25, 2005, 04:21 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
Brm- I watched your video a few times now and was wondering if maybe you have a little too much wing dihedral. Try flattening the wing a couple of degrees, I think it would pendulum swing less and track straighter, which is something you can appreciate flying tight quarters! Still very impressed with your build, nice job! More pics please!

Here's a little video of the STS with floats taking off from grass: www.tornlogic.com/avov/stsL.wmv
Jun 14, 2005, 04:48 PM
No time to fly
WaterDog,
Do you think i t is possible to get me the cad file for this. I think I have officialy lost it, but I am going to try a 6 footer, with the GWS 350c-d motor. I am going to build very light. I will remove the paper from most if not all surfaces. This will be another neighborhood plane . It should come out prettyt cool. I do not think I will need wing struts as the wing loading is so light. I am not sure yet.
Thanks,
Brian
Jun 14, 2005, 05:55 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP

Six footer?!

Go for it! A 6 footer will be something to see. Take the one page plan down to Kinkos, they will make it any size you want. This ought to be something else when done!
Jun 16, 2005, 08:48 PM
Hi Waterdog,
I am building one the size of the origional ST. I just like the body/fuse better. I'll post some pics when I get it further along.
Thanks for a great plan!!
Mike Moen
Zrocketman
Jun 18, 2005, 05:40 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
zrocketman- Great! I would like to see that. How's it coming?
Jun 18, 2005, 10:27 AM

building progress

Hi Waterdog,
Here is a pic of progress. Work keeps getting in the way. (Haven't won the lottery yet!)

I have never built a plane or flown a plane. This should be a good test for a easy to fly trainer. I purchased a Magister ARF but I am afraid to crash it. So this looked like a great choice.

I fiberglassed the tail (never did that either) with .75 oz. fiberglass and the water based polycrylic. Couldn't feel any difference in weight. Probably just added a few grams, a good trade off for strength. I added the yard stick to show the size, similar to the ST only with the STS body.

Also made the win larger at 56". Eventually want to mount a camera after I can fly it easily. I can't wait to finish and fly it!!!

Thanks for you help any everyones help who has posted to the ST sites!!
Mike
Jun 18, 2005, 11:12 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP

Wow!

Thats looking great! I might have to build one too. I would recommend getting a little help on your maiden voyage from someone who's experienced. just so they can check your trim, etc. and then hand it back to you for some practice. You will love its slow and predictable flight for training. Keep us posted, especially if you win the lottery!
Jun 22, 2005, 10:37 PM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
WaterDog,

I finally got my plans printed out to suit my ideas. I used TilePrint to enlarge the plans to a 52 inch wingspan model, just to get this one near the size of your STAP. I'll build it basically to that plan, but I will probably stretch the wingspan out to 56 inches.

I have decided to widen the fuse just a bit, as *after* it's been flown, I'll be mounting a Nikon 3700 inside. If I decide to go with a rotating mount, one side of the fuse will develope a bit of a buldge, to accomodate the camera. (Nothing too extreme.)

With wheels or floats, I think I should be able to do a little camera aiming, from straight out to down as far as the floats will allow, without showing up in the pics. (I don't think the wheels will be an issue in that regard.)

But if it gets too complicated, I'll scratch the remote camera notion and find a good angle for it and fix it there.

Before adding the camera, I'm hoping this one will fly with my HiMax 2812/0850. On another project, I've swung a 12 X 8 APC E prop on 3s lipos. I've heard that's too much for this motor, but so far I've not found it heating up too much. If need be, I can change over to an Axi 2808/24, as I found a Cobri stick mount for it.

As things stand, I don't need to order anything to build this one. I'd already ordered the cf parts for the STAP when I talked to you and decided to enlarge your STS for AP. Funny thing is, I'd explained to my wife that all I needed to build the STAP was the cf tubes. . . $56-worth from Central Hobbies. Now that I have that order here, I find that I wasn't paying attention and most of what I needed pairs of, I ordered two of.

Looking at the invoice, I failed to see that most of the items were pairs, in the first place. What I thought I had to have two of, I actually order two pairs of.

So, I'm pretty well fixed for cf tubes right now!

Got three days at work to do, starting tomorrow, then off again. I'll be posting pics here, or in another thread. Once I get it flying, I'll start the AP conversion and post it in the AP Forum. If it rains, I have two other projects to work on. If not, then just *maybe* I'll fly!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL
Jun 22, 2005, 10:40 PM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Forgot to add, once the wheeled-version flys, the floats come next. I'm playing around with Hippo's fff float plans, trying for a suitable enlargement. Not sure if I'll go with a single water rudder extension off the plane's rudder, or water rudder (or rudders) on the floats.

Mike S.
Jun 23, 2005, 07:01 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP

Great!

Mike, this is going to be a very interesting build. I like your ideas. Sorry to hear you bought too much CF, but now you'll have enough for two planes! Or in my case, room for mistakes and redo's. The camera is something I've been giving lots of thought too. There is a waterproof version that would negate the need for a dome, if you stay fixed. Dome still best for rotation. Of course, waterproofing is going to be the biggest challenge. And please post it here too. I don't think the moderators would mine you posting here, and in AP, and in Waterplanes. It is covering three different categories... Nothing cooler than a upclose water landing!
Here's a RC sailboats view I just saw by "typicalaimster"; http://www.myuav.com/video/Sailing/Sailing-030204-1.wmv

Now imagine that on a plane taking off and landing.
Too cool.
Last edited by WaterDog; Jun 23, 2005 at 08:11 AM.
Jun 27, 2005, 11:25 AM
GMAN

Ailerons

Waterdog, do you have any hints on servo location etc for adding ailerons as show on the sts plans? The build PDF had no information on this part of the build. I am looking for an Aileron trainer and this looks like it would fit the bill!
Jun 27, 2005, 04:03 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP

Options are good.

Laugh everytime I write something that "is good". Opening shots in "Animal House" where the Statue has written on its plaque, "Knowledge is Good". Anyway, I digress... ailerons, three ways. 1. Single Servo glue to middle of bottom of the wing. Little wedges of foam for base and hotglue. Double horn with opposite control rods to each aileron. 2. Two servos, mounted outside on wings, one for each aileron. Box it in for waterproofing on the wing. 3. Use a single servo and control wire in tubes. Servo in middle again. Attach wire to horn and curve out to aileron, gluing tube/straw to wing. Allows smaller ailerons farther out on the wing.I would go with Option 1 or 3 for simplicity and waterproofing as its already in the fuse when you attach the wing.
Here's an example on a 3D plane for a single servo setup:
You could run the rods out through notches cut in the wing saddle as spray is not an issue that high. If it flips over, it stays nose down and won't roll on its back:
Last edited by WaterDog; Jun 30, 2005 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply