Apr 01, 2006, 01:18 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
van- That was my experience when designing it. You'll find it more responsive with the extra dihedral added and/or the floats attached. I like 3s batteries better, fly at 1/3 throttle but have thrust when needed.
Glad to see you trying it. Have you floats for it?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2006, 09:57 AM
WaterDog,

Well, I really like your design. This plane is a real floater and looks mighty cool in the air. I especially like the smooth takeoffs. I've seen your videos that demonstrate great power on takeoff and rapid climb outs. But on these test flights I wanted to take it pretty easy at first. During the takeoff rolls, the tail rose soon but gently and wheels-up came with just a very slight "back pressure" on the stick. Reminded me much of full scale.

I don't have floats for it. I'd love to see it in action on water, but I really don't have the skill or time to learn to take that on right now.

Thanks for sharing your plans, skill and time.

--Van
Apr 01, 2006, 10:09 AM
Hi WATERDOG

I have a question about printing. I use a hp printer and when I print out the plan using adobe photo reader in pdf form, The wing where you have an arrow on each end which is supposed to be 17.49" only comes out at 16 3/8". Cant figuire out what I am doing wront to get the correct size. Scale to fit is unchecked.
Thanks
Wowsers
Apr 01, 2006, 02:28 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
Butt the pages together, don't connect the lines by overlapping, See if that helps.
Apr 01, 2006, 06:02 PM
Try a 3cell. That should give your more power to get out of jams and help to recover from the wing stalling. This is not an aerobatic plane and likes to fly scale. Also, that is a very small area to fly the STS if you ask me. IMHO The STC would be more appropriate if you're going to fly in confined spaces.

Steve
Apr 01, 2006, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill
Also, that is a very small area to fly the STS if you ask me. IMHO The STC would be more appropriate if you're going to fly in confined spaces.
Steve,

Yes I agree that the space is much smaller than desirable. But I wanted to fly ROG and this was the largest paved area available nearby. That's why I limited the tests to very short flights, but even then, managed to stress the limits more than expected.

I've built and flown the STC as well, which BTW was very satisfying. But it was precisely because of the more scale feel of the STS that I built it next.

My next flights will definitely be in a larger area and with the 3s. Thanks for the feedback.

--Van
Apr 03, 2006, 12:43 AM
I've read throught this thread and have to say I'm really excited to start one of these puppies! Right now I'm flying a GWS Tiger Moth 400 and I want something a little bit more relaxing. Will the STS float around for me if I'm feeling lazy? Will it fit on a couple of soccer fields?

thanks for any input!
Apr 03, 2006, 08:36 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
It'll fly in a single soccer field quite comfortably and slow is what it likes.
If you want to fly real close, in a tiny area, build the "STC" instead.
Apr 04, 2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks waterdog! I'll probably start the build this weekend since it's been raining for as long as I can remember.

Another noobi question: What's the best motor prop combo for the STS w/o going brushless? I've got an ICS 480 (15-25 amp) esc. The batteries I have are a 8.4v 7 cell NiMH, 9.6v 8 cell NiMH, and a 3s lipo, so whatever the best motor and prop are that will utilize one of these batteries.

Also, do you think GWS pico servos will be enough for the STS, or will it be too big of a load? Thanks!
Apr 04, 2006, 08:07 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
GWS 350 in D gearbox, (6.6:1) with a 10" prop and a 3 cell Lipo flown at 1/2 throttle works great for a brushed motor setup. The pico servos work fine too.
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 04, 2006 at 09:14 AM.
Apr 04, 2006, 10:19 AM
would that be the slow flyer prop or the hyperdrive?
Apr 04, 2006, 07:42 PM
great plan, i have the stc on the table waiting on the bp21 should be here friday, i am tryiing to get the plans for the sts im on dail up, and cant seem to get there, does anyone have the plans and build guide to e-mail me?

[email protected]
Apr 05, 2006, 07:21 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
Slowfly on that motor setup.
Apr 10, 2006, 03:43 PM
Would there be any improved performance with an EPS 400? I've got a couple lying around and would like to explore options w/ what I have before I buy something else.

If the EPS 400 would work, what gearbox? Thanks.
Apr 10, 2006, 08:19 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
EPS 400 is pretty heavy for this application. Really need the 350 in brushed.

Quick Reply