Oct 26, 2005, 04:39 PM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
No, you'll be OK. Check for heat. If its warm, change gears. I fly it with that arrangement just fine.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2005, 09:49 PM

Battery Life, How to Land, and durable props?

I've stock piled a few questions for folks on this list ... If this is too much for one posting, let me know and I'll space them out next time.

1) How long should a 600 Mha, NiMh, 7 cell, 8.4 volt battery last for this plane on full throttle? I'm only getting around 7 - 10 minutes on this battery, maybe 15 if I charge it once and then reset the charger to charge it some more. I'm using a GWS 350D with GWS 1080 and 1180 prop.

2) For those that have a similiar engine and battery setup as mine, what level of throttle is required to keep the plane in the air? I've been running it full throttle a lot of the time, but I suspect that my plane is a bit heavy, but I like to fly it fast and I've got it easily doing loops.

3) I've just started trying to land it - how? I believe that I need to get the throttle down a bit, and keep the nose up, and bring it down slowly ... but I'm coming down too hard and it's landing, but then the front wheels catch and the plane tips forward or flips over (probably too fast for touch down, eh?)

4) I've tried making a prop saver and I'm still breaking props now and then (but no where near as often as I used to when I was first starting out). I would gladly pay $20 for a really durable prop that is compatible with a GWS 1080 prop - does such a product exist? I've looked, and without success.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions! I'm completely addicted to flying this bird now...
Nov 09, 2005, 10:03 AM

STS questions

1> Get a larger MAH battery. 7 cell 1100. Your flight times are normal for that battery.

2>Yep...full throttle or bigger motor. You might also try making that 7 cell 1100 and 8cell 1100. that will give you some more voltage, so more power.

3>I've found that these foamies are very difficult to land without tipping over. Use larger foam wheels and land on smooth surfaces if possible...Come in with power on...this is NOT a glider. It's kinda chunky and heavy for the power system, so you have to "fly" it in for a landing. Keep your speed up when landing and you should be fine.

4>Buy a prop saver.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1200

Then get yourself some APC Slow Fly Props. They ain't cheap...but they're much more rugged.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=750

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinelliott
I've stock piled a few questions for folks on this list ... If this is too much for one posting, let me know and I'll space them out next time.

1) How long should a 600 Mha, NiMh, 7 cell, 8.4 volt battery last for this plane on full throttle? I'm only getting around 7 - 10 minutes on this battery, maybe 15 if I charge it once and then reset the charger to charge it some more. I'm using a GWS 350D with GWS 1080 and 1180 prop.

2) For those that have a similiar engine and battery setup as mine, what level of throttle is required to keep the plane in the air? I've been running it full throttle a lot of the time, but I suspect that my plane is a bit heavy, but I like to fly it fast and I've got it easily doing loops.

3) I've just started trying to land it - how? I believe that I need to get the throttle down a bit, and keep the nose up, and bring it down slowly ... but I'm coming down too hard and it's landing, but then the front wheels catch and the plane tips forward or flips over (probably too fast for touch down, eh?)

4) I've tried making a prop saver and I'm still breaking props now and then (but no where near as often as I used to when I was first starting out). I would gladly pay $20 for a really durable prop that is compatible with a GWS 1080 prop - does such a product exist? I've looked, and without success.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions! I'm completely addicted to flying this bird now...
Nov 09, 2005, 12:23 PM
Look for FMS (Flight Model Sim) and practice your landings...Right before it hits the gound flare(up elevator) and that should put it down softly..If you flare too high give some throttle and flare again or else it just stalls and drops from the height of the flare...Long approaches are great for setting throttle and elvator, but even the pros have trouble landing..
But if its flyable its a good landing!
Nov 09, 2005, 01:24 PM

Re: Battery Life, How to Land, and durable props?

Steve -

Thanks a ton for taking the time to help me out here. I've ordered a lot of stuff from allerc. I had similiar problems landing this plane ... ie, it tended to flip over, but I'm sure that with time I'll get better at landing it. I think it's more of a problem with me than the plane.

Basil -

Thanks for the landing tips. I've used the software a bit with my tx, and it worked well, but I should get more practice time on it asap...

- Justin
Nov 09, 2005, 01:59 PM
No prob. Basil is right...if you take it home in one piece, you've made a spectacularly successful landing!

Another thing you might consider is the placement of the landing gear. You might be able to realize better landings if the wheels are placed more towards the nose. I inserted a piece of light ply on the bottom of my fuse and made a new set of landing gear placed under the fuse where the windshield meets the top of the cowling. I used dubro lg straps which are a teeny bit loose, but I figure that's a good thing and it will absorb some shock. I also built a tail wheel set up that was more "robust" to put up with my ultra delicate landings

Steve
Nov 10, 2005, 09:34 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
All excellent advice. Keep in mine that tail draggers are a little harder to get used too and are intolerant to "less then perfect" landings. Even less on the water..
Nov 10, 2005, 09:49 AM
justinelliot

This is normal for learning. Heck quite a bit of the time mine does the same thing. I was goin to move the gear forward also. This will give it a new more bush plane look and will help a lot.
As far as landings go. Come in under power. Now not tons of it just a touch. This will allow you to float in better. I cut mine down to pretty close to closed but just enough to keep the prop from dragin. Much less chance of a stall. Fly it to the ground. Cutting power and gliding will work but flying it to the ground with just a touch of power works much better. Just as she reaches about a foot or less cut the power and flare. Now don't get me wrong here. Every landing is an experience. Most of my turn overs are just at the end of the landing roll. I land on a baseball field so any roughness will cause this. I hope putting the landing gear out front more will take care of the problem. Heck to me landings are quite a bit of the fun.

hope this helps

thumbs
Nov 10, 2005, 11:08 AM

Landing Tips

Thumbs -

Thanks for the landing tips! They are *very* helpful. Yeah, I've finally gotten pretty good at flying and avoiding trees, doing loops, etc. and now landing is the next thing I want to focus on. Also I plan to move the landing gear forward to help making the landings smoother.

Waterdog - Good suggestion on the tail wheel; I've got a wheel for the tail instead of a dragger; I also made the wheel mounts really tough (but light) because I thought they might get abused by my rough "landings".

Now I just have to wait until Saturday morning for the wind to die down around here....heh ...
Last edited by justinelliott; Nov 10, 2005 at 01:04 PM.
Nov 10, 2005, 11:29 AM
It's amazing the learning curve here. You know nothing and all of a sudden you flyin and havein a ball. Like I said listen to WD and the other guys first for sure. I don't even have my wings dry yet.

I learned about the flying to the ground with power on by flying my ultralight. I was haveing a little problem greasing the landing to say the least. I talked to the designer of the plane and was told what I suggested to you. Ever since then landings are my favorite part of flying. They really get your attention for sure. No room for A.D.D. on final.

thumbs
Nov 10, 2005, 01:22 PM
Im building mine with full length FLAPERONS!
Nov 11, 2005, 09:05 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdchased
Im building mine with full length FLAPERONS!
Flaperons ought to make that "STS" stop dead in the air! Talk about STOL capabilities..
Nov 12, 2005, 09:39 PM

Quick Charge times? , and fun in the wind!, & Thanks WaterDog!

I've got a Super Brain quick delta charger for my 600 Mha, 8.4 volt battery; It seems to quick charge it around 20 minutes or so, and then trickle charges it. It's a conservative charger, and I wonder at what capacity % of the battery that it stops doing the quick charge and then the trickle charge - ie, does it stop around 80 % or 90 % and then trickles the last %? (doesn't mention it in the "manual".) What do people typically let their batteries quick and trickle charge for?

I got to fly my STS 2 different times today, and the second time was quite windy - around 10 mph, if I had to guess? At one point my STS would just hover and not even move forward, but once I turned it to go with the wind, wow, it was fun to handle it - and no broken props!

Landing it still continues to be a trick for me, and I've tried to apply the many good suggestions on thls forum. I've yet to make a new landing gear, but I might to potentially help with the landings.

I finally figured out what was happening to my rudder - its range of motion was good when turning it to the left but not the right. I had to adjust the plastic arm that was attached to my servo, and it fixed the range problem - much better left AND right rudder control. I think that helped out quite a bit in the wind today, even! It's nice when I can turn the plane to the left AND the right.

Oh, and I don't think that I've said this yet - but THANK YOU WaterDog for such a great plane design and for taking the time to put together the plans and directions - which I'm sure took a lot of time and effort.
Last edited by justinelliott; Nov 12, 2005 at 10:43 PM.
Nov 14, 2005, 02:42 PM
Maybe someone can help me out with a simple task. I have tried printing the tiled plans out twice and both times there appears to be places missing. I can not get them to line up. I am using borderless printing.
Nov 15, 2005, 06:52 AM
I just printed them without trying to set up my printer in any special way. Perhaps by setting the printer to "boarderless" it is interfering with the printing. The tiled plans don't print to the edge, and don't fit together without some work on your part. You have to trim them first before you tape them together. It's a pain, but it only takes about 1/2 hr. and saves you a trip, and the expense of a large format printer.

Steve

Quick Reply