Nov 27, 2021, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
Thanks Tom-I think that you are right-I figure that I'll go with that and if its lighting...I could always put lights in the holes later
-Happy Thanksgiving-BG
The yellow are nozzles that push cat food out to attract fish and if I remember correctly the others are just holes to allow water to flow freely.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2021, 09:16 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Cat food!-imagine that...couldn't you just have lied and said something cool and technological!
Thanks Randy!-BG
Dec 07, 2021, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gaito
I was able to get a screenshot from a video that better shows them ...
Bob,
Looking at the photo, the 4 holes in the center, the two holes closest to the hull or dome of the sub look like lights.
Peace,
Tom
Dec 10, 2021, 06:32 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
The pressure domes are done for now -next is joining the lower deck to the hull. Everything is a little rickety now but once they are glassed together, I should be able to manhandle them without worry.
Dec 11, 2021, 09:26 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Dec 15, 2021, 12:22 PM
Nice!
Dec 18, 2021, 04:41 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

TrueThat?

I am truing all the exoframes and setting the heights of their feet in preparation of gluing them in place and miraculously have the decks level
Dec 24, 2021, 12:49 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
The window openings are masked off and the hull is dusted in primer-so I can see areas that have to be filled or sanded off-also the masking is to keep the view port perimeters bare fiberglass for future view port gluing. She is just sitting on the landing gear, which will be one of the last items bonded to the hull after all the nitpicky work is completed.
Dec 24, 2021, 12:57 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

Quick Tip: Quickly Mask off 26 Windows

I needed 26 1" circles of tape to prime the hull-I took a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe and taped over the ends, then ran around the perimeter with a pair of scissors. It literally took 15 minutes to make and place place all the circles. They could have been in almost any diameter in 1/4" increments.
Dec 26, 2021, 07:29 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP

Water Tight Motor Pod

I decided to choose a prop shaft sealing method that has worked since the invention of the screw propeller-stuffing box and packing. It is easily maintained and repaired as opposed to o-rings and cup seals which have a shelf life (MFG and industry usually call for 5 yrs)
I use a 1/8" NPT to (in this case) 3/16" compression union. These can be bought in any auto supply or good hardware store and are usually under $3.

The water tight compartment is a PET jar .

The lid is fitted with a shelf and a brass plate that sandwiches the plastic lid and supports the motor (This one is an aero-naught 400 brushed motor gear reduced to 1.88:1.)

The brass plate is drilled and tapped to 1/8" National pipe thread.

Everything is bedded with silicone rubber during assembly (which makes for easy disassembly if needed.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Dec 27, 2021 at 06:30 AM.
Dec 31, 2021, 08:59 AM
Bob,
I notice you only have 1 motor, Are you going with a single prop or dual prop on a split drive?
Dec 31, 2021, 02:39 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Hi, RB ...These subs have two gimbaled thrusters in the back-but being 1:24 that's is going to be tough. I am going to try to have one motor and one prop. I will hide the prop between the banks of air/O2 bottles just aft of the pressure dome. I also intend to blow the prop wash into two scale dummy thruster rings and use them as kort nozzles. Besides steering I would also have these nozzles gimbal up and down for pitch trim. I hope this arrangement works out-Like all hair-brained schemes some work and some don't.

If things go well, I might also try adding freewheeling dummy props in those rings if it doesn't slow the flank speed too much. the boat is only 33" long and I do think that one geared motor and a 1" prop should give the model many times the 1:1's top speed of 2MPH....

I will build the rings with that capability whether or not I add the props.

It being Friday afternoon here-As I write this post , I realize the 13 hrs time difference...Rommel, I hope you had a good New Year's celebration (almost my 4 hrs ago)...and wish you a happy new year!-BG
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Dec 31, 2021 at 03:23 PM.
Dec 31, 2021, 06:53 PM
Thanks Bob. Enjoyed watching the New Year fireworks display here. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Jan 01, 2022, 03:55 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
These are my water Tight compartments- PET thick wall jars with Stainless steel lids and platinum silicone seals. Like the motor module, the electronics will mount on a shelf affixed to the lid-to access the electronics- just unscrew the clear plastic jar ...do the mod and screw the jar back into the lid.

Quick Reply