Oct 21, 2020, 01:18 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I sent an email to the broker who is handling the sale of Atlantis XI.. asking for more pictures-figured its worth a try-BG

Update: Crickets!
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Oct 26, 2020 at 09:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2020, 07:43 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Yes- I got some screen shots from some lady's scuba video-seems that she was wreck diving and along came Atlantis IX and the two divers spent 20 minutes with the sub "playing" like some happy whale circling around them.

The Atlantis IX and X are a class of subs and probably the only two 48 passenger versions with single thrusters and open aft structure (the two exact boats that I am looking for)

So I took some screen shots-also it is my only documentation of the exterior light positioning..

scuba diving the carthaginian and atlantis submarine lahaina maui hawaii gopro 3 (8 min 10 sec)
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Nov 11, 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Oct 26, 2020, 07:24 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
This could become an operational scale failsafe recovery buoy. I see this as being held by a servo arm (in a thin wall dry box) positioned to hold a magnet that keeps the buoy in place . The failsafe circuit swings the servo to disengage the magnet allowing the buoy to float free. No gas to recharge, just rewind and put back in cradle. If I accidently were to turn off the transmitter (LOS)on the bench (oops) no harm done, no gas lost-the buoy just sits in its cradle . The magnet will reset upon communication reconnect.
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Oct 26, 2020 at 09:31 AM.
Oct 27, 2020, 07:10 AM
I like that idea. Others have used a pin that gets pulled, but a magnet is a cool alternative.
Oct 27, 2020, 06:35 PM

Stern shot

I confirmed with one of the engineers on Atlantis today "All the subs have two stern thrusters. And yes, when the subs were built we installed underwater fairings around the ballast tanks, oxygen bottles and aft frame ".
I don't know maybe the one you see had a thruster down for maintenance? Anyway this is straight from someone that has worked there since 1985. The picture is from the day we dipped the build I was on in the water for the first time. Hope this one helps.
Oct 27, 2020, 07:19 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Interesting-Both thrusters rotate the same way... that's good to know. This double thruster thing is going to be a problem for me. I have over 50 pictures now and the only two subs that show one thruster(IX and X) , The list of all the subs on Wikipedia list Atlantis IX and X as a separate class. and all those pictures are operational pictures (some from a private scuba trip) and only IX and X show no fairing...obviously you guys were there and know-I am now confused

I could just build it with two thrusters and be done with it, but it was the open frame and tanks that I was really going for. this would be easier but less interesting .. thanks, Randy for the picture-Bob
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Oct 28, 2020 at 06:38 AM.
Oct 28, 2020, 04:23 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Wow-Definitive proof, not that I doubted you guys-just wasn't sure that I didn't catch Atlantis IX and X at some time with only one thruster-It seems that a full broadside picture hides the second prop-here is IX in another scuba encounter only with great angles. I see two props and no fairing-cool!!

scuba diving the carthaginian and atlantis submarine lahaina maui hawaii gopro 3 (8 min 10 sec)

From 3:17 and on
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Oct 31, 2020 at 06:30 AM.
Oct 28, 2020, 05:04 PM
If you want to ride on one down to 130' to see ship wrecks go to Aruba.
There was a company using two of them a couple years ago.
They told me ten years ago a new one would cost them 5mill but now the price is up to 15mill.
Oct 28, 2020, 06:25 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I have been stalking a lot of vacation photos-I have seen the depth readout to go to 153ft once.

And go to baby beach then eat at Zeerovers or Madam Jeanette's!
Oct 29, 2020, 08:09 AM
Something that might not show but to look out for on pictures and video is a drop weight on the bottom between the bottom rails/skids. It was a basket of "lead" bars that could be dropped by the pilot in emergencies. I don't remember how long it was but it was almost as wide as the distance between the bottom rails.
In most of the current pictures and videos it looks like they have removed all of the underwater fairings from most of the subs. Apart from the stern there was also fairing around the ballast tanks. I'll have to tell you about getting stuck in one of the ballast tanks during the build some time.
Oct 29, 2020, 08:29 AM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
I called Atlantis Maui yesterday and they confirmed what you guys say about two propulsion thrusters ..and as seen above, I have since found that video with a great tail shot of IX. He also said that the fairings were kind of flimsy and some of the subs have just had them removed as they cracked beyond repair.
I asked about possibly getting some drawings and he gave me the email address of an engineer in Vancouver to contact.
I'll be on the lookout for that drop weight Thanks! -to be continued...BG
Oct 31, 2020, 04:46 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
RanSan, I'd really like to hear about you getting stuck in one of the ballast tanks-I don't want to pry ..unless that was how they got you out!
Nov 03, 2020, 03:34 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Randy-Was that aft truss work attached to the pressure dome or just attached to the hidden upper structure?
Nov 05, 2020, 12:05 PM
A pry bar is exactly how they got me out. There is a surprising amount of room in one of those tanks.
I believe the truss was attached to the dome at the bottom but the angle iron structure at the top. See attached screen shot of the truss if you don't have it already. I have not been able to find my pictures from the build, very unhappy.
Nov 05, 2020, 12:09 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Thread OP
Wow, that's freak'in awesome-THANKS! ... I thought that I would have to guess at the placement of the box beams and the tubes
Last edited by Bob Gaito; Nov 05, 2020 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply