Hobby King Micro Tundra Review

It's been a long time coming, but Hobby King has finally released a micro version of the Tundra airplane. They call it the Micro Tundra and this little guy has a lot to live up to.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 635mm
Length: 430mm
Flying Weight: 176g
Motor: 1106 2350kv
Prop Size: 6x4
Battery: 2S 500mAh
Price: $99
Available at: Hobby King

It's been a long time coming, but Hobby King has finally released a micro version of the Tundra airplane. They call it the Micro Tundra and this little guy has a lot to live up to.

The model features a magnetic canopy hatch, 5-channel control, durable EPO foam construction and includes a micro float set in the box. I was excited to get this in before the public release and get some time on it before posting. Let's check out the box and see what's inside.

Video

Micro Tundra Review (4 min 45 sec)

What's in the Box

The Micro Tundra was packed up nicely with the outer box wrapped in HobbyKing tape. Inside the outer box was the main product box with a traditional label. Inside you'll find the plane parts well protected, but the canopy did not have any protection layer between it and the foam so the canopy stuck to the foam and left some minor marking on the decal when separated.

The main parts consist of the fuselage, wing, float set and main landing gear. The servos and power system are pre-installed and you only need to provide a receiver and a battery to get it ready to fly. The hardware portion includes wing struts, landing gear wire for the floats, a tail wheel and rudder, prop, spinner, Velcro and mounting screws.

Other Items Included for Review

Hobby King provided a 2S 500mAH Nano-Tech battery for the review. I used a spare Spektrum receiver I had laying around. The servos on the Micro Tundra use micro connectors so Hobby King sent me some adaptors for connecting to standard receiver outputs.

Assembly

To get the Micro Tundra ready to fly, you can expect to spend about 10-15 minutes. I started by inserting the main landing gear into the mount on the bottom of the fuselage. Next I installed the prop and spinner. The cowling and main hatch are magnetic and removable for easy access.

The ESC on the Micro Tundra has a JST connector on it, but the battery sent had an XT30. I prefer the XT30 so I changed the ESC connector over to match the battery. Then I installed the servo adapters and installed my receiver with Velcro. I put the wing on and secured it with 1 screw. On the bottom of the rudder is a slot to insert the tail wheel into. Finally I installed the struts to the fuse and wing and installed the battery. We are now ready to fly!

The float set is equally easy to install and set up. You first attached the landing gear wire to the floats. Then it installs into the mounting locations. The tail wheel pulls out and the water rudder is inserted in its place.

Flying

It looks good, but how does it fly? It handles pretty well actually even at this small size. The power is adequate, but don't expect vertical performance or extreme speed. It's fast enough and powerful enough to be fun though. There is no stabilization unless you use a receiver with that built in and you can set the controls to be mild or wild. There is plenty of control authority even in the wind.

Take Offs

Take offs are simple and just require powering up with a slight correction or two needed with the rudder. With the flaps down, the take off distance is shortened as you would expect. The steerable tailwheel works well to keep things on track during taxiing and the rudder has more than enough authority to keep it straight once the tail has lifted.

Basics

You can fly around in a fairly small space. It can likely fly inside a gym and certainly a small field is suitable. It's fairly stable, but not rated for beginners. You'll need some aileron experience under your belt for the Micro Tundra. The plane tracks well and I felt comfortable with it right off the bat. The speed range is great and with the flaps down, you can fly it low and slow doing figure 8's right on the runway. Very fun!

Aerobatics

It's not a 3D machine or made for hardcore aerobatics, but you can manage loops, rolls, some knife edge, inverted and this thing does great snap rolls! It's not crazy powerful so you can't just blast up vertically, but it will keep you on your toes and remain fun when you want to horse around a bit.

Landings

The foam wheels and landing gear are fairly bouncy making smooth landings a challenge. It can be done, but the wire gear is springy and will flex and bounce the plane back in the air if you don't get it perfect. The wheels are foam and painted and the paint rubs off on the contact points and starts to looks well worn after a single flight on pavement.

Photos

Conclusion

So final thoughts on the Micro Tundra. It's nice to finally have a micro version of this popular airframe. It looks great and I love that it comes with the float set instead of that being an extra purchase. It has proved to be durable in minor mishaps like falling off of a table in windy conditions. The battery hatch is nice and easy to swap out packs quickly so you can keep flying. If there was anything I would say could be improved it would be the paint on the wheels. It rubs off the first time you take off and land on a paved runway making the wheels look worn and ugly instantly. Also with the foam being EPO, it's very durable, but a tad heavy for a plane this size. Overall though it remains faithful to the Tundra name I had a great time flying it.

Check out the Micro Tundra here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Oct 13, 2020 at 09:09 AM..
Oct 13, 2020, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know what the lightest 6 channel receiver I can get that has auto level like "Safe"?

I think this model at this size would really benefit from the autolevel and gyro.

I don't care about the brand of recover, I have a multi module. Thank you for the reply and the review rcgroups!
Oct 13, 2020, 09:44 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
Love it!
Oct 13, 2020, 10:37 AM
Radioactive Flier
Looks nice, I will probably be getting the graffiti version. Any chance 3s would work in this? Got lots of 3s batts that would fit nicely.
Last edited by Raylon; Oct 13, 2020 at 02:33 PM.
Oct 13, 2020, 11:43 AM
I review RC Products
Very good review!

Here are some of my videos with the little guy.

Unboxing:

Detailed Unboxing Of The Durafly Micro Tundra RC Bush Plane With Floats From HobbyKing (13 min 29 sec)

Maiden Flight:

Maiden Flight Review With The Durafly Micro Tundra RC Bush Plane From HobbyKing (4 min 31 sec)

Second Flight:

Second Flight With The Durafly Micro Tundra RC Bush Plane With Perfect Landing From HobbyKing (5 min 30 sec)
Oct 13, 2020, 12:01 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon
Looks good, but $49 shipping kills the deal for me.
Free Shipping on $100. Just buy an extra battery.

I Like it. Why does HK have strange colors?

Looks like it has a cheap prop. Like it's big brother it probably needs an APC prop. Anyone know what size?

Oct 13, 2020, 12:54 PM
HobbyKing
Hello. Prop is 6x4

S.
Oct 13, 2020, 01:35 PM
I review RC Products
RC Man, weight is a huge factor with little planes like this, so that is my guess as to why they did not go with a carbon fiber prop like on the big one.
Oct 13, 2020, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Warne
Hello.
S.
Looks good. This will be an ideal christmas stocking filler for wifey to buy me.
Nice to see you back in HobbyKing colours Stuart!
Oct 13, 2020, 04:25 PM
DFS#000178
Does HobbyKing have a recommended Spektrum-compatible RX that will work with the included connectors on the servos?

Also, Stuart, glad to see you back at HK!
Oct 13, 2020, 07:25 PM
looks like fun. my flying buddy and i just ordered a pair. does anyone know if the plane includes the molex adapters? or do we have to get our own?
-beanie
Oct 13, 2020, 07:49 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
The Hobbyking video in the other thread Stuart says the adapters are included.

Stuart is that the same 6x4 as the skipper used? I found that one tended to flatten out under high throttle and I got slight improvements going to an APC 6x4 on the skipper.

Durafly Micro Tundra (PNF) Sports Model w/Flaps EPO 635mm (25") - Flight Review (16 min 46 sec)
Oct 13, 2020, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Warne
Hello. Prop is 6x4

S.
Hey Stuart,

Great video. Got a question or two about the battery. I keep seeing contradicting things about the battery size. I see on the website that 350~500mAh 7.4 LiPo are suggested. I saw a shot of the manual given to a reviewer showing 250 mah...... Then I heard in your video you suggesting a lighter 300 mah for those looking to get the lightest and slowest flight characteristics (like myself).

Can you please clear this up for me, as well as give estimates on flight times for say a 300, 400 and 500 mah battery?

Thank you very much,
dh04000
Oct 13, 2020, 08:55 PM
Well damn! This might actually be my first Hobby King purchase. I like the fact it does not come with a receiver; as for the wheels/landing gear I can always use a home made set. Nice looking plane!

@Jason .... I think I would like the slightly heavy feel you are talking about. I believe it would make the plane feel more scale to me; these super light UMX planes are nice but they are too light for my taste. I suspect the EPO foam is what added to the weight, I suppose?
Oct 13, 2020, 09:09 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah EPO is heavier than EPS and there’s more of it on this one than other micro birds.

Quick Reply