Oct 09, 2020, 06:09 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Fusion question

hello all,
I,m sure this is a weekly question for you all, but i'm just not using the right serch terms.

I am VERRY greeny to fusion, however,after s couple of weeks and a few restarts, i was able to get my custom model from paper into the program. my issue now is i need/want to put it onto a 2d plane for cutting. (Lazer or otherwise) At this point i have no clue how to do it, nor any idea what file format to save it to.

At this time i have a copy of the the model saved to my computer with the default export option.

Thanks for the help,
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2020, 04:00 AM
first what material are you going to use so we know what machine you will need laser router foam cuter

first you will need to setup a work plan on X Y the size of your cutting limits of the machine you are going to use then layout your parts on it when you have it as you wont it is saved or exported to .DXF.
this DXF is then imported in to the software that will create your Gcode or you can send it to a cuter to cut it for you.

search google for free cad cam there sum software that you can play with to make it more understandably
Oct 10, 2020, 12:03 PM
that's gonna hurt...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilottest
first what material are you going to use so we know what machine you will need laser router foam cuter

first you will need to setup a work plan on X Y the size of your cutting limits of the machine you are going to use then layout your parts on it when you have it as you wont it is saved or exported to .DXF.
this DXF is then imported in to the software that will create your Gcode or you can send it to a cuter to cut it for you.

search google for free cad cam there sum software that you can play with to make it more understandably
Fusion has CAM functions - why would you use a separate program?
Oct 10, 2020, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
the material will be simple 3/32 balsa, maybe some ply for the main spare if it turns out to weak.

Quote:
so if I'm understanding correctly, i just need to manually place each part on the desired plane? and export to dxf.

with a bit more reading over the last few days, I've read that people sometimes create a new sketch, and project all the lines onto it then save that, is this something ill need to do as well? or just a personal preference thing?

thanks,
matt
Oct 10, 2020, 01:22 PM
As of October 1, Fusion 360 has disabled export of dxf. files
Oct 10, 2020, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
heres a pic from the acctual program!
Oct 10, 2020, 04:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan
Yikes
Oct 10, 2020, 06:22 PM
that's gonna hurt...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan
It's still available - I just did one, doesn't appear to have changed any. I know AutoDesk walked back some of the changes based on feedback from their user forums.
Oct 12, 2020, 04:56 AM
yes i think Autodesk has change the export for autodesk 360 for hobbis
and i forgot that 360 has a integrated cam

so maybe you two can Help with the question asked as i only have a old ver of autocad

sparrow1 i would look for a different cad package freecad is very similar to 360 and has a good forum to help

i prefer direct molding then parametric old school
Last edited by pilottest; Oct 12, 2020 at 05:03 AM.
Oct 12, 2020, 06:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
sparrow1 i would look for a different cad package freecad is very similar to 360 and has a good forum to help
I will look into that!

Quote:
i prefer direct molding then parametric old school
Sounds intresting what is it?

In the mean time, im finding it dificult to figure out how to move the bodys onto the new sketch plane, any suggestions?
Oct 13, 2020, 03:50 AM
parametric design software such as autodesk 360 / inventor / solidworks / pro engineer / features methods and systems for enforcing parametric constraints sume say a big leering curve

with direct modeling interface such as autocad 2007 or 2020 and rhino 4 / 5 or 6 there are no enforced constraints.

parametric design software the plus is you can change the design simply by typing in a new size and everything up dates it is nice in assembles if you change a part it updates all i fined it very good for engineering projects but for surface modeling not so good.
something like rhino give you more control over surface modeling

or you have the dedicated software for hobby modeling / devcad / CompuFoil3D just 2 that i use not free
there is free software that will do the same job from design to cutting on cnc

sorry can not help you with the 360 i use inventor and autocad in inventor we can import copy and project the sketch to a plan or face
Oct 15, 2020, 05:02 PM
Thread OP
Solved!
Last edited by sparrow1; Oct 15, 2020 at 08:57 PM.
Oct 28, 2020, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis01
Fusion has CAM functions - why would you use a separate program?
Yes, why use a separate program? Fusion will output gcode from the CAM function.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:05 AM
Quote:
yes i think Autodesk has change the export for autodesk 360 for hobbies
and i forgot that 360 has a integrated cam

so maybe you two can Help with the question asked as i only have a old ver of autocad

i prefer direct modelling then parametric old school

Yes, why use a separate program? Fusion will output gcode from the CAM function. ??????????

the cancer is her ???so maybe you two can Help with the question /////asked////// as i only have a old ver of autocad

sum of my old school cad modelling

Quick Reply