This thread is privately moderated by old_coastie, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 08, 2020, 07:57 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Thread OP
Discussion

Touch and Go's with a Mini-Vapor

Hardly ever used this feature in RCG before...

Sometimes you just need to do something to put a smile on your face. For me that something was flying my old decrepit, many times repaired and "modded" to death MIni-Vapor in the parking lot of the hotel. The wind had died off to nothing the sun was starting to set and I had a generous open area and found the smile (and peace) that I was looking for.

Mark R.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2020, 11:10 PM

Vapor tales

I tied a sewing thread to the fuselage of my Night Vapor and taped the end to the left wing tip. Then it went out about 5 ft to a spindle where it could spin around and not wind up. In a 11 ft wide room I flew RC control style. This taught my younger brother throttle and elevator control. After a few 5 min flights we went to a gym and he learned left and rights and how to avoid hitting the walls.

I retired in 96 from CGAS Clearwater flying the Herc for 21 years!

Vic
Dec 26, 2020, 12:06 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT
I tied a sewing thread to the fuselage of my Night Vapor and taped the end to the left wing tip. Then it went out about 5 ft to a spindle where it could spin around and not wind up. In a 11 ft wide room I flew RC control style. This taught my younger brother throttle and elevator control. After a few 5 min flights we went to a gym and he learned left and rights and how to avoid hitting the walls.

I retired in 96 from CGAS Clearwater flying the Herc for 21 years!

Vic
And I bet the plane you flew is still out there doing if's duty. A pleasure connecting with other Coastie's, actually have quite a bit of Herc time as a passenger, first time around in CG was a MST and was part of the IceWarn mission on the Great Lakes, that was the C-130 with the SLAR package installed, I took turns with the other Misty's one flight as Ground Ops, two days later another flight and I would get to ride along as On Board Ops...

Anyway enough sea stories, Inventive idea a Mini-Vapor on a string, brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. And if there was ever a plane that could teach throttle up to go up, throttle down to go down this is the one.

Best Regards

from one old_coastie to another...
Dec 29, 2020, 05:50 PM
Good fun! This plane must be on the top of my most flown planes. That compares to expensive and complex helicopters or scale warbirds. This thing is just a joy!

I really like to take off on the coffee table, circle around and land on that 50x50cm table again! I highly recommend a Carbon propeller (5x3 and 0,2 grams).
Dec 29, 2020, 05:55 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Thread OP
Gotta a link or source for those props? He asks with drool running down his chin....
Dec 29, 2020, 06:11 PM
I actually bought a few from MicroInvent and they’re out of business. Several model shops carrying the micro stuff might have some. hobby king has a 4” (101mm) carbon prop which is really nice but not of the same quality.

https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/101mm-mi...___store=nl_nl
You’ll need a small prop adapter, too. Or some CF tube that fits around the shaft and some dentist rubber bands.
Dec 29, 2020, 06:18 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Thread OP
Got the prop adapter and the "dental" rubber bands, use this stuff on my UM's. Will do some more "focused" Google searches and see what I can come up with. Kinda funny, the first of my many planes to get a carbon prop and it might be the MV, oh yeah this Hobby has many twists and turns...
Dec 29, 2020, 06:31 PM
I’ll look up a picture later to show my install. I remove the shaft with main gear. Then I actually put a tube on the front of the shaft over the thread. Push the prop over the shaft until where the tube stops it. Then use two rubber bands. Over the rear of the shaft, through the main gear over the remaining part of the front of the shaft. It’s actually the cheapest and lightest I think.
Dec 29, 2020, 08:04 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
Iíll look up a picture later to show my install. I remove the shaft with main gear. Then I actually put a tube on the front of the shaft over the thread. Push the prop over the shaft until where the tube stops it. Then use two rubber bands. Over the rear of the shaft, through the main gear over the remaining part of the front of the shaft. Itís actually the cheapest and lightest I think.
I think I am following, but yeah I think I'm gonna need a pic to get (warning intentional pun) the whole picture. (Groan, puns, the humor of the intellectually challenged.. )

o_c
Dec 30, 2020, 10:22 AM
Here they are! Had to dig, they're from 2015!
Dec 30, 2020, 03:16 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
Here they are! Had to dig, they're from 2015!
Yeah, I could do that... And that prop is sweet.... Gotta start lookin...

Many thanks

o_c

Quick Reply