Kotto Soldering Tools - Hands On!

Let's take a look at the super helpful tools that you can find at Kotto...

Splash

Handy Tools For Your Work Bench - Kotto

I have a huge work bench that is used for RC aircraft, guitars, amps and leather. Soldering a something I do on a regular basis. My current soldering station is old cumbersome. It does have bendable arms with clips on the end. The problem is that those clips always seem to be in the wrong place or not close enough for the project.

Enter Kotto

I saw Kotto's banner ad on RCGroups and clicked it. When I saw their cool soldering solutions I knew it was time to make a change. I have had some soldering time on their gear. Here are my findings...

The Third Hand

This thing has a metal base that is solid and 4 magnetic arms you can move anywhere on the plate. The magnets are plenty strong. You aren't limited by the metal base. You can use these arms on anything metal (like your car). This is something I can put away and bring out when needed. The base is easy to maneuver into tight spaces and get it as close as you need to your project. You can go bare metal on the clips or use the rubber protective caps. I use arms like this to hold wire when I solder and to hold two piece close together for soldering - this is super handy and not expensive ($25.99) CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Magnetic Soldering Iron Holder

I know that the main thing you need when soldering is somewhere to put your soldering iron. I have had big soldering iron stations but they always seem to be too far away or in the way. To go with my metal base on the Third Hand I got this little unit. It also has a magnetic base so it can live on the metal plate or on any metal surface. I like that I can move it around to wherever I need it. I spent last evening soldering it worked just like it should. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

C-Clamp Soldering Tool

My work bench is wood so I thought this might come in handy. I used it as a supplement to my magnetic arms. While this plus the four other arms is a little over-kill it did help get more arms near my project. This would be a great stand alone piece to have on your work bench. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE

Anti-Static Silicone Mat

This might be slightly out of the RC realm but maybe not. I am the in charge of any computer or cell phone fixes in my house. I once took an iPhone completely apart and put it back together (successfully). One thing becomes very obvious, you need a surface that allows you to work and not loose all the tiny parts of whatever you are working on. This mat is made exactly for that. You notice the embedded magnetics on the right. That is there to hold all your screws. There are indentations in the mat that you can use for other small items. Another thing to note is that this thing will not slip. Another cool feature (literally) is that the mat can resist temperatures of 932F (500C). If you work with anything electronic I think this pad is a must. CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE

Good Stuff

I'm happy to report the quality on all of these products were up to my expectations (great) and I think for the price of each one they are a great deal. Anything that makes soldering easier is a plus and I'm a big fan of the Kotto pieces. If you solder I would urge you to go check out their wares!

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Oct 08, 2020 at 02:40 PM..
Oct 08, 2020, 04:06 PM
RCG Admin
Nice!
Oct 12, 2020, 01:29 PM
Josh J.
I just ordered the hands (without the iron holder) and the mat.

I really like the mat layout. I play around with handheld video games (older Nintendo stuff) and I think that will be great for fixing them.

On a side note, I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've spontaneously ordered something from one of your reviews. Slow down on the reviews, or the woman is gonna kick your butt
Oct 12, 2020, 01:30 PM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
HA! Well these pieces are really working for me in the shop. I'm sure you will find them hellpful!
Oct 12, 2020, 01:38 PM

magnetic?

I was always taught to keep magnets away from electronics.....wrong?
Oct 12, 2020, 10:46 PM
Crashing with style since 1994
Great soldering base. I have bought one based on your reviews and it worked perfectly. Price is great also. I just throw away my old traditional ones, style of helping hands which I hated with all my heart because those were Narrow based and unstable and fall a lot when soldering... thanks guys for your great reviews
Oct 13, 2020, 12:38 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
Awesome. Another thing I like is that I grab the tray and move it easily to my work bench and then put it away on the shelf when I'm done - nice small footprint.
Oct 14, 2020, 08:40 AM
Crashing with style since 1994
This is what I mean to the old style helpimg hands.... I always thought theres need to be a better design and functionality for this. I hated this old stile helping hands with all my heart. I have ruined jobs and burn myself when this tumble, and trips over... thanks God for designing a better one 50 years later...
Oct 15, 2020, 02:06 AM
Another yet bigger 'base' for the magnets is recycling the side-panel off a PC tower case, Just bend the engagement tabs flat, or grind them off, and you have a nice painted surface for your magnets.

Another idea is a fan that ~sucks~ the solder fumes away from you, and Kotto has that covered too, with filters on 'em!

I even went one step further, and used one of those slide-off case-tops from way back to make a hot-wire foam cutting bed, with two slot-adjusting screws so I can raise/lower the wire, and its powered of an old 12v High-School-surplus power supply. Lots of amps there, so I went and got some proper ni-chrome wire for the cutter, Still going after 20 years.

Cheers,
WhiteWolf McBride,
Ottawa Canada

Quick Reply