Oct 20, 2020, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB99
Hmm hadn't thought of that. The L30 did not have that though so I am probably going to have the servo on the tail controlling the elevators because it will fly more like the real thing that way. The linear servo is about 1.5 grams so I am not too worried about the weight, its mainly the setup.
Maybe full-flying on the control surfaces?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2020, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatdog
Maybe full-flying on the control surfaces?
Not sure what you mean by "full-flying"
Oct 21, 2020, 11:10 AM
Sokol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeB99
Not sure what you mean by "full-flying"

" full flying elevator " means that there is only one surface , the elevator , without the fixed section or horizontal stabilizer.
Latest blog entry: Brooklyn Dodger
Oct 21, 2020, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
Oh okay. Now I understand. That would be cool but it would be a hassle to get a servo to rotate the entire fin.
Oct 21, 2020, 07:45 PM
Thread OP

Starting the Envelope!

Just measured it out. Should have it done tonight which means I'll be able to weigh it.
Oct 21, 2020, 09:03 PM
Thread OP

Weighed the Envelope.

So it weighs 38.55 grams while inflated with air. I do have a concern however. It looks like it's much smaller than the air frame. I had measured each dodecagon and then added half an inch to the measurements. This was a mistake. What I should've done was trace the airframe but mark it even wider than the outermost parts. Luckily, I have more plastic drop cloth and will be able to try again. At the very least I know have a very long and skinny blimp and an estimate for how much the bladder will weigh.
Oct 22, 2020, 12:32 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Cool - and great weight result for such a large bladder! Here's hoping it works ok with H and He...
Oct 28, 2020, 05:48 PM
Thread OP

Re-made the Envelope

This time it appears that the envelope is the right size! Just weight it and it comes in at 49.90 grams. Just got news about the receiver I'm planning on buying. It's a micro programmable receiver with dual esc's and should be ready in the next few weeks. I'll put a picture of it. It has 4 servo plugs with on of them labeled throttle (in addition to the two esc's). I am assuming that this throttle port will only be able to turn on and off a motor. What I am thinking of doing is have a third or fourth motor that can be turned on to provide reverse and maybe vertical thrust. Once I get the receiver, I'll be able to make the gondolas and then actually fly it!
Oct 28, 2020, 06:29 PM
By my count you're at ~10 oz for the airframe and gas bag.

Have you filled the bag with helium to see the lift?
Oct 28, 2020, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
I haven't tested it yet with helium because I have not purchased helium yet. The weight of the airframe is 226.80 grams and the bladder is 49.90 grams.
The weight of the
Receiver: 1.3 grams (estimate)
Servo: 1.5 g
Motors(2): 9g
Lets say 50 grams for the gondolas (4)
20 grams for the control surfaces and remaining tissue paper
Total Estimated weight: 358.5 grams
Total estimated lift from Helium: 453.59 grams (or 1 pound)
Thus it will be positively buoyant by 95.09 grams.
This leaves me plenty of room to possibly add a third or fourth motor, micro speaker to play a airship horn recording, and weight to place in the nose to counter-balance the tail.
Oct 28, 2020, 09:50 PM
Excellent, sounds like there's some room.

I'd recommend checking it before you go a lot further with the hardware.
Oct 28, 2020, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatdog
Excellent, sounds like there's some room.

I'd recommend checking it before you go a lot further with the hardware.
That's a good idea. I will buy some helium soon so that I can test it!
Oct 31, 2020, 11:25 PM
Thread OP

Buying Helium.

Does anyone know where I can get a large amount of pure helium? I know you can get small canisters of helium at walmart for around 30 dollars, but the helium is only about 80 percent and the remaining 20 is just air.
Oct 31, 2020, 11:38 PM
Go small or go home
Find a welding outlet, or a welding gas supplier. They should be easy to find anywhere. Around here you rent/lease a tank (assuming you don't own your own) and they charge a fill/refill amount. Usually you can get tanks in a few different sizes to fit your budget.
Nov 01, 2020, 09:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam
Find a welding outlet, or a welding gas supplier. They should be easy to find anywhere. Around here you rent/lease a tank (assuming you don't own your own) and they charge a fill/refill amount. Usually you can get tanks in a few different sizes to fit your budget.
For leasing a tank of helium, did they require that you have a business? Back when I was going to use hydrogen, the company Airgas said that I would have to be buying it for a business. I would assume that helium wouldn't require that because its non-flammable.

Quick Reply